Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 08-11-2023 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259975)
Thank you very much! What’s the merit increment btw?

MI is in March
Promotion in April

Unregistered 08-11-2023 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tav (Post 259896)
Male Ex-Moe Teacher of 11 years/always a C grader/got a D in 2017 after getting stuck in GEO4 for 7 years and decided to call it quits.

Full respect for all the EOs who are still surviving. I have been reading from page 500+ and thought that I should put in my 5 cents.

I am one of the few who braved all the odds and I'm teaching in a private school in New Zealand currently. NIE teachers are very well-sought-after in OZ and NZ(STEM teachers). I was offered both a state school in OZ and a private school in NZ.

Before I decided to work overseas, I weighed a lot of the pros and cons. I do not want to give up on teaching (hate all the politics and backstabbing), so for sanity, I decided to jump at the opportunity. OZNZ is not greener than most believed and it's a daunting task to start in a new country, getting all the documents, IELTS and visas done without any relatives to help.

Other than subtle racism, a very slow-paced life, high taxes and youth crimes, all is good here. So, teachers who are feeling hopeless, you can consider teaching overseas if you do not have any commitments back in SG.

Thank you for sharing!

Are you able to elaborate on the compensation offered? Does it match what you were receiving when working in sg?

Unregistered 08-11-2023 08:20 PM

Hi guys, curious to know how much do we usually get for PB? I know it’s depending on our grades but if any of you have a rough gauge, do share. TIA

Unregistered 08-11-2023 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259837)
Hi can I check if any officers here received C- and was not told about it by your RO? I made a mistake during exam period and I am wondering if I should change job. But I have a bond to clear.

technically it is considered a good grade like a C or C+. so it is not necessary to inform the reportee. the bigger question is who was the fellow who still use these grading when C- was considered like a lousy grade in the previous system by the teachers. And even more funny is that C6 and C5 is not a good result since it probably will not get you to your course of choice but in the MOE grading it is 'good'. really need a mindset shift. hee.

Unregistered 08-11-2023 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258981)
Yes totally agree. Work so hard, but get lousy boss/SL also cannot climb. Might as will just relax. Worse people more relax than you, cannot even teach properly but see them promote cause they are ‘special’. I know of someone work so long, very capable but still promote slower than others incompetent people unfortunately cause of bad ROs during their career. So perhaps a good question is how to find a good RO that will look after you.

I agree most of what you say... but I also feel that some mid managers are like sergeants in the army... get caught between the JH and SL. I heard of really nice ROs getting crap from the SLs simply because the SLs are biased. My advice is look beyond the RO some times... the real problem could be above him and no matter what u both do will be useless. advice: leave and join another sch.

Unregistered 08-11-2023 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260019)
Hi guys, curious to know how much do we usually get for PB? I know it’s depending on our grades but if any of you have a rough gauge, do share. TIA

this question is unanswerable. u need to provide a context.

Unregistered 08-11-2023 09:56 PM

Quote:

he say Apr already lol

Unregistered 08-11-2023 10:00 PM

Quote:

oh I read wrongly. ignore my previous reply.

the merit increment is like your yearly increment but based mainly on your performance grade. I believe they have some excel formula to work it out.

Unregistered 08-11-2023 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260019)

Pre-covid range for GEO:
A 2.8-3.5
B 2.25-2.75
C+ 1.55-2.2
C 1.25-1.5
C- 0.5-1
D 0

It was supposed to have been reduced during the pandemic years, but from what ppl had shared here earlier, seems like that didn't happen?

Unregistered 08-11-2023 10:26 PM

Quote:

pay increase based on performance