Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 19-04-2021 07:01 PM

Update on Pay

2012: BT pay. Was earning $4.1k (FCH, non-scholar, male)
2021: just got GEO5. Earning $7.1k.

Changed schools in 2014 and 2017.

I agree with the earlier post. If your SLs like you, major sins can be forgiven. National results are not that important.

But if they don't like you, everything will be picked on (e.g. classroom management, results, etc).

Unregistered 19-04-2021 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165946)
If your SLs like you, major sins can be forgiven. National results are not that important.

But if they don't like you, everything will be picked on (e.g. classroom management, results, etc).

Isn't that common for all jobs? Nothing peculiar to a teaching career.

Unregistered 19-04-2021 09:52 PM

Quote:

I agree with the earlier post. If your SLs like you, major sins can be forgiven. National results are not that important.

wow FCH. I only knew few yrs ago you could apply for scholarship AFTER your degree. Friend did that....now very high position change ministries as part of scholar route.

Unregistered 19-04-2021 09:58 PM

Quote:

Are you a hod/sh/st now?

Unregistered 20-04-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165962)
Isn't that common for all jobs? Nothing peculiar to a teaching career.

Very true. But when you are young and naive, you would think that educators who supposedly teach moral values to students would be above that. Sadly not true. I do feel like a hypocrite sometimes teaching values when we ourselves generally don't practise what we preach.

Unregistered 21-04-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165964)
Are you a hod/sh/st now?

SH.

Wasn't a scholar (took the old NIE Education degree). If you work hard enough (or harder and / or smarter enough, it is possible. But yes, scholars are deliberately given bigger portfolios to justify their faster promotion. Whether they do it well, though at times they can't lead for nuts and merely get by because farmers tank the project.

I also see some overseas scholars (mostly the PE or Art/Music teachers) who remain as teachers. So yes, being a scholar does not necessarily mean that you get leadership immediately as well.

But at the end of the day, as long as SLs like you, see potential and want to groom you, that seems to be the most impt factor.

Unregistered 28-04-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166000)
Very true. But when you are young and naive, you would think that educators who supposedly teach moral values to students would be above that. Sadly not true. I do feel like a hypocrite sometimes teaching values when we ourselves generally don't practise what we preach.

Couldn't agree more with all the posts that mentioned this aspect.

I think it's a very big part of why young teachers leave, and why older ones lose their purpose.

Yet many leaders I see are exactly the source of the problem. And hence the issue continues to perpetuates.

We should all do the right thing and stop all the wrongdoings when we see it.
(I know it's easy to say. But hey, one starfish at a time as well.)

Unregistered 29-04-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166915)
Couldn't agree more with all the posts that mentioned this aspect.

I think it's a very big part of why young teachers leave, and why older ones lose their purpose.

Yet many leaders I see are exactly the source of the problem. And hence the issue continues to perpetuates.

We should all do the right thing and stop all the wrongdoings when we see it.
(I know it's easy to say. But hey, one starfish at a time as well.)

simple reason.Many of them (not all of course) got to their position precisely because of this...hence rot starts frm the top...and the top came frm the bottom. hahaha
never ending cycle

Unregistered 30-04-2021 03:05 PM

Hi, I am ex- moe teacher and recently I went for the interview to rejoin MOE service 2 weeks ago. Till now, my status in career@gov is still “in process”. May I know when will I know the outcome of the interview? From what I see, they are looking for Teachers to start in term 3, but the month of May is starting soon but still no updates.

Unregistered 30-04-2021 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167113)
Hi, I am ex- moe teacher and recently I went for the interview to rejoin MOE service 2 weeks ago. Till now, my status in career@gov is still “in process”. May I know when will I know the outcome of the interview? From what I see, they are looking for Teachers to start in term 3, but the month of May is starting soon but still no updates.

Adjunct? Usually towards end of may then they will contact because the school will still have staff shifting around etc. Especially for adjuncts who may leave the school, which then makes the demand higher