Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 10-02-2024 12:58 AM

Thanks for your input.
I’ve been given an opportunity but I am worried about not being able to cope. As a normal classroom teacher I already feel stretched on some weeks, with marking, planning of lessons and department programs to prepare for.
Back home I have young kids who need my attention too. Just hoping to make an informed and responsible decision so that I don’t jump into anything I am not ready for. At the same time I understand this is a rare opportunity that’s not given to everyone so I’m in a huge dilemma :”)

Unregistered 10-02-2024 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268004)
Thanks for your input.
I’ve been given an opportunity but I am worried about not being able to cope. As a normal classroom teacher I already feel stretched on some weeks, with marking, planning of lessons and department programs to prepare for.
Back home I have young kids who need my attention too. Just hoping to make an informed and responsible decision so that I don’t jump into anything I am not ready for. At the same time I understand this is a rare opportunity that’s not given to everyone so I’m in a huge dilemma :”)

I was in the same situation as you, school events programmes and having young kids at home too. But decided to take it up and with the support of my SLs, things work well.
Yes, your working hours will increase especially mine is not subject base.. but it’s worth it for me, I’m starting to like my new role

Unregistered 10-02-2024 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268016)
I was in the same situation as you, school events programmes and having young kids at home too. But decided to take it up and with the support of my SLs, things work well.
Yes, your working hours will increase especially mine is not subject base.. but it’s worth it for me, I’m starting to like my new role

Just to ride on, can someone clearly list the difference between the jobscope/roles/ responsibility of an LH vs a HOD? How can an LH excel in his/her role, without only appearing as a soldier to the HOD?

Can someone if an example of an LH they knew, and some key impact they created to allow them to eventually progress quickly as a HOD?

Unregistered 10-02-2024 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268021)
Just to ride on, can someone clearly list the difference between the jobscope/roles/ responsibility of an LH vs a HOD? How can an LH excel in his/her role, without only appearing as a soldier to the HOD?

Can someone if an example of an LH they knew, and some key impact they created to allow them to eventually progress quickly as a HOD?

HOD oversees the department so key dept decisions, alignment to school's visions, contributing to school decisions from dept interest, and management of teachers performance/workload. The role of the LH/SH differs from school to school, dept to dept. Its all about being a good support for your HOD. Some schools SH/LHs have reportees, some don't. Its good to craft out a rough work plan with your HOD, to see which are areas you can contribute in and support more with your strengths. Fundamentally, HOD or SH -- all are foot soldiers. So its about working together and enjoying the partnership.

For career development to HOD, people management and acumen for decision-making is important. You got to understand the organisation/culture, find ways to challenge/improve but also have the big picture to know your voice does not always matter.

Unregistered 10-02-2024 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268034)
HOD oversees the department so key dept decisions, alignment to school's visions, contributing to school decisions from dept interest, and management of teachers performance/workload. The role of the LH/SH differs from school to school, dept to dept. Its all about being a good support for your HOD. Some schools SH/LHs have reportees, some don't. Its good to craft out a rough work plan with your HOD, to see which are areas you can contribute in and support more with your strengths. Fundamentally, HOD or SH -- all are foot soldiers. So its about working together and enjoying the partnership.

For career development to HOD, people management and acumen for decision-making is important. You got to understand the organisation/culture, find ways to challenge/improve but also have the big picture to know your voice does not always matter.

Thank you!

Unregistered 11-02-2024 09:34 AM

It's been weighing heavily on my mind lately, and I can't help but wonder if I'm the only one feeling this way. Especially during New Year, when everyone seems to be flaunting their achievements and comparing salaries, it hits harder. Why can't I even reach a five-digit salary? I pour my heart and soul into my work, sacrificing countless after-school hours and weekends for co-curricular activities, event plannings and execution, and ensuring everything runs smoothly. But in the process, I've inadvertently neglected my family for years, and the damage and fallout feels irreparable. Now, my personal life is in shambles, family pretty much gone, and work still demands more from me. I put my entire existence tethered to my job, and despite giving it my all, I'm constantly indirectly told it's not good enough. These thoughts have been consuming me, and I can't shake the feeling that life simply isn't worth living anymore. Am I the only teacher feeling this?

Unregistered 11-02-2024 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268095)
It's been weighing heavily on my mind lately, and I can't help but wonder if I'm the only one feeling this way. Especially during New Year, when everyone seems to be flaunting their achievements and comparing salaries, it hits harder. Why can't I even reach a five-digit salary? I pour my heart and soul into my work, sacrificing countless after-school hours and weekends for co-curricular activities, event plannings and execution, and ensuring everything runs smoothly. But in the process, I've inadvertently neglected my family for years, and the damage and fallout feels irreparable. Now, my personal life is in shambles, family pretty much gone, and work still demands more from me. I put my entire existence tethered to my job, and despite giving it my all, I'm constantly indirectly told it's not good enough. These thoughts have been consuming me, and I can't shake the feeling that life simply isn't worth living anymore. Am I the only teacher feeling this?

The civil service is not a place for five-digit salaries. In fact, cost-cutting is still ongoing in the education service and beyond.

If you believe that you have got the teaching skills to make it big outside, go into the tuition industry or private education.

Unregistered 11-02-2024 02:02 PM

Quote:

5 figure salary as an EO is not mission impossible but not very common unless you are a SEO. So if finanacial progression is what you pursue, teaching or civil service may not be your first choice. To be frank, there is no in between or best of both worlds, it’s either you place you work or your family first. Once that decision was made, there is really no turning back. I used to priortise my work at all costs, but a wise colleague reminded me that no matter what you do and what position you hold, all of us are just a number in the grander scheme of things and we are all replaceable. However, in your family, you are irreplaceable and from that point onwards, I had an epiphany and that is my family will always be mine first priority. I am not sure if you can mend your relationship with your family, I hope it’s not too late.

Unregistered 11-02-2024 02:26 PM

Quote:

you're not alone bro. maybe there can be some group or community for teachers to reach out to one another for help and advice

i honestly feel the most for the sandwiched teachers i.e those who joined between 2013 and later. the recent events of COVID, cost cutting measures, lack of manpower and influx of new policies. all these within the last 4 years only...already resulted in a huge imbalance in compensation vs workload.

Unregistered 11-02-2024 04:00 PM

Quote:

It seems that you sacrificed your family for a career and perhaps got nothing to show for it. In education, many KPs and SLs make use of teachers like yourself to establish their careers while focusing on wayang and looking good to their ROs. Stay long enough in service and you will see their true colours. Do not neglect your mental health and family for a job.