Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Any Arts and Social Sciences Grads here? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1629-any-arts-social-sciences-grads-here.html)

Liverpool 13-12-2011 08:09 PM

Any Arts and Social Sciences Grads here?

What jobs are you doing now? Worried for my girlfriend who has a psychology degree from NUS. :(

and no she told me she does not want to be a psychologist because the pay is low.

Psychologists - Virtual Career Fair

A Degree Holder can look forward to a starting salary ranging from $2,000 to $2,400. Those with a post-graduate qualification start from $2,380.

study Masters and get a starting pay of $2,380???? :eek:

cslee 13-12-2011 10:27 PM

Low starting pay does not equate low eventual pay. Starting pay for the big accounting pay is even lower (when factor in the long hours).

I have a relative who is depressed had to pay ~$150 for each visit to a psychologist. With more people on depression and other social problems, the future looks bright!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool (Post 18840)
What jobs are you doing now? Worried for my girlfriend who has a psychology degree from NUS. :(

and no she told me she does not want to be a psychologist because the pay is low.

A Degree Holder can look forward to a starting salary ranging from $2,000 to $2,400. Those with a post-graduate qualification start from $2,380.

Unregistered 14-12-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Dun worry... The future is very bright for psychologist.... A lot of singaporean developing mental illness due to stress and long working hours... unaffordable housing, overwhelming bank loans despite low salaries and retrenchments... More people becoming compulsive gamblers as a result of being hopeless in their jobs...

Arts Grad 14-12-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Aiyo..so many things to do. I got 1 fren became SIA pilot recruiter, see stewardess everyday. Another in Civil service college hiring scholars. Another in Oil & Gas as HR. Some in MOE doing research on student development. Some in MCYS helping juvenile delinquents and doing child protection policies. Some stayed as tutors in local unis cos they get to do their Masters FOR FREE. Some working in IMH, which has great monetary potential in my opinion, coz they can get their Masters while working and eventually venture out to set up their own private clinic. Many MNCs also hire management associates regardless of their majors. Your gf should be more worried about her grades and what she wants to do in life, not abt the lack of jobs for Arts grads. Last but not least....I'm a Dealer in a Bank. Cheers to all Arts Grads.

Liverpool 22-12-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arts Grad (Post 18853)
Aiyo..so many things to do. I got 1 fren became SIA pilot recruiter, see stewardess everyday. Another in Civil service college hiring scholars. Another in Oil & Gas as HR. Some in MOE doing research on student development. Some in MCYS helping juvenile delinquents and doing child protection policies. Some stayed as tutors in local unis cos they get to do their Masters FOR FREE. Some working in IMH, which has great monetary potential in my opinion, coz they can get their Masters while working and eventually venture out to set up their own private clinic. Many MNCs also hire management associates regardless of their majors. Your gf should be more worried about her grades and what she wants to do in life, not abt the lack of jobs for Arts grads. Last but not least....I'm a Dealer in a Bank. Cheers to all Arts Grads.

Thanks. My gf is a second upper. Can share what management associates program to look out for that dun care what major they have?

any tips on how to spin that the company has use for psychology majors? One way is to say that psychology is impt to know the mindset of customers and she could make herself useful in the sales or marketing departments?

QXP 23-12-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool (Post 19008)
Thanks. My gf is a second upper. Can share what management associates program to look out for that dun care what major they have?

any tips on how to spin that the company has use for psychology majors? One way is to say that psychology is impt to know the mindset of customers and she could make herself useful in the sales or marketing departments?

It is well known that management associate program for big MNCs and GLCs minimum is first class honours of a hard science or business major. No offense, but I don't think with your gf academic results got hope for real management associate program.

Some of the less prestigious company will usually have low standards and repackage their normal hiring of fresh grads as management trainees, those then might have chance, but also no pt IMO.

Unregistered 23-12-2011 10:31 AM

Usually 2nd upper will cut it for most graduate programs including MA programs in Banks.

I cannot comment on Graduate Trainee programs in other MNCs though but I am pretty sure that 2nd upper is sufficient for the banks.

I joined a bank MA program. 2nd upper will get you shortlisted and after that it is pretty much your performance during interviews. They take history majors as well so there is no discrimination. However, it just means that you need to know financial basics or else how to show you interest in joining financial services. Nothing too complicated.

Unregistered 23-12-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QXP (Post 19018)
It is well known that management associate program for big MNCs and GLCs minimum is first class honours of a hard science or business major. No offense, but I don't think with your gf academic results got hope for real management associate program.

Some of the less prestigious company will usually have low standards and repackage their normal hiring of fresh grads as management trainees, those then might have chance, but also no pt IMO.

only first class? How many first class honours are there in each batch? There are MNCs, Banks etc that do hire second upper for their management trainee programs.

QXP 23-12-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19020)
only first class? How many first class honours are there in each batch? There are MNCs, Banks etc that do hire second upper for their management trainee programs.

They will usually start off with only first class, only if insufficient then will downgrade to 2nd class that have very good non-academic and leadership position in schools.

In the event of 2nd class, I think a hard science or business related major is still needed. A 2nd class pyschology student has almost no hope in a real management program.

Unregistered 23-12-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QXP (Post 19025)
They will usually start off with only first class, only if insufficient then will downgrade to 2nd class that have very good non-academic and leadership position in schools.

In the event of 2nd class, I think a hard science or business related major is still needed. A 2nd class pyschology student has almost no hope in a real management program.

Dude, I guess u're still very young. What's your idea of a "real management program"? Do u know that GIC scholars get to pick whatever major they wish to study in whichever university in the world? They then come back to manage our billions of national reserves. Big companies look for smart people with leadership potential regardless of their major. knowledge can be picked up, but IQ and EQ can't be taught. Ok maybe some companies would hv certain preferences, for eg. Engineering MNCs. But not all companies..