Any Arts and Social Sciences Grads here? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Any Arts and Social Sciences Grads here?

Old 13-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Liverpool is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Any Arts and Social Sciences Grads here?

What jobs are you doing now? Worried for my girlfriend who has a psychology degree from NUS.

and no she told me she does not want to be a psychologist because the pay is low.

Psychologists - Virtual Career Fair

A Degree Holder can look forward to a starting salary ranging from $2,000 to $2,400. Those with a post-graduate qualification start from $2,380.

study Masters and get a starting pay of $2,380????

Old 13-12-2011, 10:27 PM

cslee is on a distinguished road

Low starting pay does not equate low eventual pay. Starting pay for the big accounting pay is even lower (when factor in the long hours).

I have a relative who is depressed had to pay ~$150 for each visit to a psychologist. With more people on depression and other social problems, the future looks bright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
What jobs are you doing now? Worried for my girlfriend who has a psychology degree from NUS.

and no she told me she does not want to be a psychologist because the pay is low.

A Degree Holder can look forward to a starting salary ranging from $2,000 to $2,400. Those with a post-graduate qualification start from $2,380.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 14-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Dun worry... The future is very bright for psychologist.... A lot of singaporean developing mental illness due to stress and long working hours... unaffordable housing, overwhelming bank loans despite low salaries and retrenchments... More people becoming compulsive gamblers as a result of being hopeless in their jobs...

Old 14-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Arts Grad

Quote:

Aiyo..so many things to do. I got 1 fren became SIA pilot recruiter, see stewardess everyday. Another in Civil service college hiring scholars. Another in Oil & Gas as HR. Some in MOE doing research on student development. Some in MCYS helping juvenile delinquents and doing child protection policies. Some stayed as tutors in local unis cos they get to do their Masters FOR FREE. Some working in IMH, which has great monetary potential in my opinion, coz they can get their Masters while working and eventually venture out to set up their own private clinic. Many MNCs also hire management associates regardless of their majors. Your gf should be more worried about her grades and what she wants to do in life, not abt the lack of jobs for Arts grads. Last but not least....I'm a Dealer in a Bank. Cheers to all Arts Grads.
Old 22-12-2011, 09:45 PM

Liverpool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts Grad View Post
Aiyo..so many things to do. I got 1 fren became SIA pilot recruiter, see stewardess everyday. Another in Civil service college hiring scholars. Another in Oil & Gas as HR. Some in MOE doing research on student development. Some in MCYS helping juvenile delinquents and doing child protection policies. Some stayed as tutors in local unis cos they get to do their Masters FOR FREE. Some working in IMH, which has great monetary potential in my opinion, coz they can get their Masters while working and eventually venture out to set up their own private clinic. Many MNCs also hire management associates regardless of their majors. Your gf should be more worried about her grades and what she wants to do in life, not abt the lack of jobs for Arts grads. Last but not least....I'm a Dealer in a Bank. Cheers to all Arts Grads.
Thanks. My gf is a second upper. Can share what management associates program to look out for that dun care what major they have?

any tips on how to spin that the company has use for psychology majors? One way is to say that psychology is impt to know the mindset of customers and she could make herself useful in the sales or marketing departments?
Old 23-12-2011, 09:42 AM
QXP

Quote:
Thanks. My gf is a second upper. Can share what management associates program to look out for that dun care what major they have?

any tips on how to spin that the company has use for psychology majors? One way is to say that psychology is impt to know the mindset of customers and she could make herself useful in the sales or marketing departments?
It is well known that management associate program for big MNCs and GLCs minimum is first class honours of a hard science or business major. No offense, but I don't think with your gf academic results got hope for real management associate program.

Some of the less prestigious company will usually have low standards and repackage their normal hiring of fresh grads as management trainees, those then might have chance, but also no pt IMO.

Old 23-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Unregistered

Usually 2nd upper will cut it for most graduate programs including MA programs in Banks.

I cannot comment on Graduate Trainee programs in other MNCs though but I am pretty sure that 2nd upper is sufficient for the banks.

I joined a bank MA program. 2nd upper will get you shortlisted and after that it is pretty much your performance during interviews. They take history majors as well so there is no discrimination. However, it just means that you need to know financial basics or else how to show you interest in joining financial services. Nothing too complicated.
Old 23-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXP View Post
It is well known that management associate program for big MNCs and GLCs minimum is first class honours of a hard science or business major. No offense, but I don't think with your gf academic results got hope for real management associate program.

Some of the less prestigious company will usually have low standards and repackage their normal hiring of fresh grads as management trainees, those then might have chance, but also no pt IMO.
only first class? How many first class honours are there in each batch? There are MNCs, Banks etc that do hire second upper for their management trainee programs.
Old 23-12-2011, 11:21 AM
QXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
only first class? How many first class honours are there in each batch? There are MNCs, Banks etc that do hire second upper for their management trainee programs.
They will usually start off with only first class, only if insufficient then will downgrade to 2nd class that have very good non-academic and leadership position in schools.

In the event of 2nd class, I think a hard science or business related major is still needed. A 2nd class pyschology student has almost no hope in a real management program.
Old 23-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXP View Post
They will usually start off with only first class, only if insufficient then will downgrade to 2nd class that have very good non-academic and leadership position in schools.

In the event of 2nd class, I think a hard science or business related major is still needed. A 2nd class pyschology student has almost no hope in a real management program.
Dude, I guess u're still very young. What's your idea of a "real management program"? Do u know that GIC scholars get to pick whatever major they wish to study in whichever university in the world? They then come back to manage our billions of national reserves. Big companies look for smart people with leadership potential regardless of their major. knowledge can be picked up, but IQ and EQ can't be taught. Ok maybe some companies would hv certain preferences, for eg. Engineering MNCs. But not all companies..