Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Any success stories of people switching from Government jobs to Private Sector? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1608-any-success-stories-people-switching-government-jobs-private-sector.html)

Liverpool 29-11-2011 02:53 PM

Any success stories of people switching from Government jobs to Private Sector?

Seems that many people I spoke to in the private sector don't have a good impression of people from government jobs and have the perception that these people are slow. The worse I heard are army officer regulars being shunned at interviews, especially with how the rest of the male population perceives of the SAF.

Most who do desire to switch careers often have to take pay cuts or rebrand themselves like going for a Masters.

Any comments?

Unregistered 29-11-2011 10:05 PM

air force technician. completed bachelor of business and masters of science in 7 years air force. made 36k pa in air force. now make 110k pa in US MNC after 3 years. =)

Unregistered 01-12-2011 04:04 PM

Guards regular. Poly cert. Left after 6 yrs of service and joined the banking industry as sales. Make around $35K when inside. Earned that amount in 6 months when i joined the bank. After a year its about $70K. Can be more depending how hard you choose to chiong.

Unregistered 01-12-2011 06:03 PM

Captain in armor, left at 4.8k to join private equity. After 5 years now 16k+ / month not including bonus.

Bean 01-12-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18549)
Captain in armor, left at 4.8k to join private equity. After 5 years now 16k+ / month not including bonus.

just to check with you

you got wat class of honours?
what is your starting pay when you fresh grad from university?
how long did you sign on?

can tell how much is the annual increment while you are a CPT in SAF

any info on how much increment when promote from
CPT(1) to CPT(2)
CPT(2) to MAJ(1)

i am just curious to know

Unregistered 06-12-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 18551)
just to check with you

you got wat class of honours?
what is your starting pay when you fresh grad from university?
how long did you sign on?

can tell how much is the annual increment while you are a CPT in SAF

any info on how much increment when promote from
CPT(1) to CPT(2)
CPT(2) to MAJ(1)

i am just curious to know

And the more pertinent question is how the heck you managed to get into PE from a non related line like the army, when cpt ranks are a dime a dozen nowadays ...

when ppl from more directly related IB and treasury functions with Harvard or Oxbridge first class honours are struggling without success to get in...

must be thru connections right ?

Unregistered 06-12-2011 05:38 AM

So what if through connections? Ask so much means you don't have. Don't waste time la. can make it can make it, cannot make it cannot make it. hahaha

Unregistered 06-12-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18627)
So what if through connections? Ask so much means you don't have. Don't waste time la. can make it can make it, cannot make it cannot make it. hahaha

Actually no.

I'm in BB IB, making a similar amount pre bonus at VP lvl, but lifestyle sucks and career lifespan isn't fantastic. In the past, where bonus was a year or more, I can see half a million or so, but this year, with so much pressure on bonuses (this yr, any bonus at all would be a pleasant surprise), and with a couple of rounds of retrenchment already, am wondering if its worth the grind.

Have been trying to get into PE for some time (slightly better lifestyle, similar money but much more fulfilling work), but have found it tough without the appropriate connections. Most of the people I know have either gone in direct post MBA or as a fresh grad or via connections.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a mid career entry via the military (Especially as a rank and file cpt - if a LTC by 30 or BG by 35, ok, then I see maybe they are hiring as an exceptional talent), and was wondering if there is an additional angle which I have missed and I can try.

Unregistered 06-12-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18490)
air force technician. completed bachelor of business and masters of science in 7 years air force. made 36k pa in air force. now make 110k pa in US MNC after 3 years. =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18545)
Guards regular. Poly cert. Left after 6 yrs of service and joined the banking industry as sales. Make around $35K when inside. Earned that amount in 6 months when i joined the bank. After a year its about $70K. Can be more depending how hard you choose to chiong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18549)

all 3 posted by the same person?

Unregistered 06-12-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18640)
all 3 posted by the same person?

Probably a "cannot make it" ex-army regular who is now a part-time taxi driver and toilet cleaner... Projecting his fantasy in the forum :p Such a loser....