Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Any success stories of people switching from Government jobs to Private Sector? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1608-any-success-stories-people-switching-government-jobs-private-sector.html)

oneplusone 19-12-2011 06:34 PM

The 2 of you above talk machiam like dam expert like that. How about telling us what position in which company and your annual salary and bonus first instead of all this rubbish about PE industry?

It is obvious you are just some low level executive in some SME trying to fantasize about being IB and finance industry.

workerbee 20-12-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplusone (Post 18938)
The 2 of you above talk machiam like dam expert like that. How about telling us what position in which company and your annual salary and bonus first instead of all this rubbish about PE industry?

It is obvious you are just some low level executive in some SME trying to fantasize about being IB and finance industry.

I think the info provided is very interesting and not gave me some insight into the PE industry.

Your post? A typical response and zero value add.

Posts like the above are becoming an annoying pattern in these forums.

Unregistered 20-12-2011 10:11 AM

How come every thread I read through somehow shifts to topics on financial services/banking? :) Interesting..

Anyway since the latest discussion seems to be on PE, I wonder what all the hype is about? I'm from the sell-side and my seniors tell me that pay is much better here. So aside from work-life balance, compensation shoud favor sell-side roles (be it PE, Fund Mgmt or HF). Anyone care to validate this?

Unregistered 20-12-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18947)
How come every thread I read through somehow shifts to topics on financial services/banking? :) Interesting..

Anyway since the latest discussion seems to be on PE, I wonder what all the hype is about? I'm from the sell-side and my seniors tell me that pay is much better here. So aside from work-life balance, compensation shoud favor sell-side roles (be it PE, Fund Mgmt or HF). Anyone care to validate this?

PE, Hedge funds are buy-side business. The only sell-side aspect of this industry is during fund raising. Sell-side makes money quicker and faster. You are from the sell side, so you know better as well, typically it is very transaction based. I can't speak for the HF guys but for PE, if you do well, you get a cut (called carry interest) besides the normal salary which should be similar to financial industry rates. Associates get 80-100k USD/year. Partners draw about 400-500k USD/year. what you want is to hit a deal with a 10x multiple and that is where the big money comes in. Unless the fund is exceptional, most PE guys get their carry interest toward the end of the fund life. (8-10 years)

Unregistered 20-12-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

What talking you? Where got PE or HF hire sell-side one?

Unregistered 20-12-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18953)
I can't speak for the HF guys but for PE, if you do well, you get a cut (called carry interest) besides the normal salary which should be similar to financial industry rates. Associates get 80-100k USD/year. Partners draw about 400-500k USD/year. what you want is to hit a deal with a 10x multiple and that is where the big money comes in. Unless the fund is exceptional, most PE guys get their carry interest toward the end of the fund life. (8-10 years)

Most funds dun have a 8-10 years life. Carried interests are subject to complicated banking, deferral and clawback mechanisms. You cerntainly don't need to wait for 8-10 years until fold up to get them, otherwise who will want to join a company & wait 10 years for bonus.

By PE standards 10x multiple is slightly below average, not outstanding where big money comes in.

Obviously another outsider shooting through the hip.

Unregistered 20-12-2011 02:41 PM

Sorry, I meant favor sell-side roles (vs buy-side roles PE, HF, FM).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18954)
What talking you? Where got PE or HF hire sell-side one?

Unregistered 20-12-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

afaik, PE pays much better than IBD

Unregistered 20-12-2011 04:46 PM

I think the first 2 guys (gal?) debating about classification of PE industry really know their stuff even though they disagree at some points, hard to fake all the detailed insider knowledge.

The rest all outsiders trying to act expert - nothing of substance except shouting about high salaries & bonus.