Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Any success stories of people switching from Government jobs to Private Sector? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1608-any-success-stories-people-switching-government-jobs-private-sector.html)

Golfing 06-12-2011 02:34 PM

Some of you very funny leh, ask for success stories and examples. Then when people share success story, one by one all line up to humtum with the usual "just loser fantasizing" "only successful because of connections" blah blah

So why bother to ask and read in the first place if you not willing to accept there are people who are better than you?

Unregistered 06-12-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfing (Post 18645)
Some of you very funny leh, ask for success stories and examples. Then when people share success story, one by one all line up to humtum with the usual "just loser fantasizing" "only successful because of connections" blah blah

So why bother to ask and read in the first place if you not willing to accept there are people who are better than you?

You are missing the entire point, my friend.

The point is not just to share the end point, but more importantly, the story of how-to-get-there. Just like there is no point sharing a story of how I met an ex school teacher who is now a multi millionaire , without telling me how he got there. is it thru winning the lottery, becoming a super successful tutor, or becoming a successful business man etc. and how I can try to replicate it.

Life is not all about ability. It's also about career planning, strategic career positioning and contacts.

This is a practical forum where we can ideally hear career tips, and not just start point and end point pie in the sky stories, which do nothing for us in a practical sense.

Unregistered 06-12-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18640)
all 3 posted by the same person?

Hmm... you can check his postings' IP?

Liverpool 09-12-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18549)
Captain in armor, left at 4.8k to join private equity. After 5 years now 16k+ / month not including bonus.

this is interesting... how did you manage to do it?

9231 09-12-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18646)
The point is not just to share the end point, but more importantly, the story of how-to-get-there.

Life is not all about ability. It's also about career planning, strategic career positioning and contacts.

This is a practical forum where we can ideally hear career tips, and not just start point and end point pie in the sky stories, which do nothing for us in a practical sense.

Have to disagree with that.

First of all, nobody is going to share practical tips on how to get there. For anybody to get to success it is a combination of thousands of actions taken from day 1 and siezing hundred pieces of luck and opportunity. How to explain all of this in a forum? You will need to write an encyclopedia for that.

You look through the forum you know what I mean, it is all generic stuff like musn't give up, build your network, learn from mistakes, pick the right industry, get relevant qualification etc. Miwashi is one good example, poor chap has been asking around for actual advice how to be a media editor and get out of his grass cutting job, to date I still haven't seen anyone remotely even telling him useful actionable items.

"career planning, strategic career positioning and contacts" are big words, but mean nothing in this forum.

Unregistered 09-12-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9231 (Post 18735)

First of all, nobody is going to share practical tips on how to get there. For anybody to get to success it is a combination of thousands of actions taken from day 1 and siezing hundred pieces of luck and opportunity. How to explain all of this in a forum? You will need to write an encyclopedia for that.

You look through the forum you know what I mean, it is all generic stuff like musn't give up, build your network, learn from mistakes, pick the right industry, get relevant qualification etc. Miwashi is one good example, poor chap has been asking around for actual advice how to be a media editor and get out of his grass cutting job, to date I still haven't seen anyone remotely even telling him useful actionable items.

"career planning, strategic career positioning and contacts" are big words, but mean nothing in this forum.

agree with 9231. the best advice is to just keep looking & striving, and be super competitive like Greypiggi who kept benchmarking himself in terms of income and wealth.

if you are a sprinter, you wanna know if you 9.8s is among the best. if you are a salaryman, you wanna know if your 10k is among the best.

Unregistered 12-12-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9231 (Post 18735)

Agree.
There is hardly anyone who will write a step-by-step guide.
What is useful is the raw inspiration from these stories if you choose not to be skeptical. This will then push you to create your own step-by-step guide that works best for yourself.

Unregistered 12-12-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18805)
Agree.
There is hardly anyone who will write a step-by-step guide.
What is useful is the raw inspiration from these stories if you choose not to be skeptical. This will then push you to create your own step-by-step guide that works best for yourself.

Agree that no one is going to write a step by step guide.

But agree with the earlier guy that start point and end point stories are no use. As the IB person said, he has never seen someone go to PE directly from the army, so if the army capt can share his story, it would be interesting.

But he seems to have disappeared. So it sounds like a fraudulent post.

Unregistered 13-12-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18806)
Agree that no one is going to write a step by step guide.

But agree with the earlier guy that start point and end point stories are no use. As the IB person said, he has never seen someone go to PE directly from the army, so if the army capt can share his story, it would be interesting.

But he seems to have disappeared. So it sounds like a fraudulent post.

Maybe he's managing his dad's money? That's also "private equity".

Unregistered 13-12-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18819)
Maybe he's managing his dad's money? That's also "private equity".

Yup, I've interviewed a guy with a gap in his CV who said similar things, except that he's clearer: "I was managing the family's investments."