Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 01-05-2022 07:24 PM

What are the exit opportunities for Governance, Risk and Compliance role in orange firm? Worth to try this rather than external audit?

Anyone knows what is the starting pay for this role and
is the promotion path the same as EA?

Unregistered 01-05-2022 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216534)
What are the exit opportunities for Governance, Risk and Compliance role in orange firm? Worth to try this rather than external audit?

Anyone knows what is the starting pay for this role and
is the promotion path the same as EA?

as someone has replied previously, GRC is a fancy name for Internal Audit/ IT Audit.

Exit opps is IA/compliance roles

Unregistered 01-05-2022 08:59 PM

What is the starting pay for governance,risk and compliance at pwc? Is the promotion path the same as EA?

Unregistered 02-05-2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216480)
How to come a partner ? Isit the existing partners must nominate you

Yes, you need sufficient support from existing partners.

This support is earned through proving your worth and ability to bring value to the business.

Unregistered 02-05-2022 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216541)
What is the starting pay for governance,risk and compliance at pwc? Is the promotion path the same as EA?

Pay should be similar if not the same as EA. Promotion wise not as fast as EA.

Unregistered 02-05-2022 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216535)
as someone has replied previously, GRC is a fancy name for Internal Audit/ IT Audit.

Exit opps is IA/compliance roles

What about transfer pricing? Is it accounting related? Cos I’m an economics grad and the hr reached out about the transfer pricing associate…

Unregistered 02-05-2022 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216609)
What about transfer pricing? Is it accounting related? Cos I’m an economics grad and the hr reached out about the transfer pricing associate…

Are u a b4 for life ppl? If not no.
Say no to TP pls. Singapore is too small. Ppl can always get overseas b4 to get the job done.

Unregistered 02-05-2022 04:31 PM

Quote:

it is part of Tax, which is a subset of accounting

Unregistered 02-05-2022 05:30 PM

Quote:

Transfer pricing is super niche, and mostly u will be pigeonholed. Also once you get into TP, it’s super hard to get out. Unless you’re thinking of doing this for a big chunk of your career life, don’t get into it

Unregistered 02-05-2022 06:58 PM

so I realised the job I applied to is bad and I have an interview coming up. any way I can frame myself so the interviewer will think that I’m a better fit for another job and offer that to me? for context, I’m applying for an associate job

Unregistered 02-05-2022 07:22 PM

Does blue's 20% also apply to SM level? Or only s2-m

Unregistered 02-05-2022 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216622)
Transfer pricing is super niche, and mostly u will be pigeonholed. Also once you get into TP, it’s super hard to get out. Unless you’re thinking of doing this for a big chunk of your career life, don’t get into it

Ah thanks all for the reply, helps a lot. Could you share a little on the job scope like what do transfer pricing associates do?

Unregistered 02-05-2022 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216632)
Does blue's 20% also apply to SM level? Or only s2-m

Then M3 have higher pay then SM?

Unregistered 02-05-2022 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216630)
so I realised the job I applied to is bad and I have an interview coming up. any way I can frame myself so the interviewer will think that I’m a better fit for another job and offer that to me? for context, I’m applying for an associate job

Which two jobs are you referring to? If the interviewer is not in charge of the the job, why would he care about you.

Unregistered 02-05-2022 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216645)
Which two jobs are you referring to? If the interviewer is not in charge of the the job, why would he care about you.

The hr is in charge of advisory, and honestly, any other job is better than what I applied for. If I can somehow get out of it by way of hr thinking I’m a better fit for other jobs, that will be good, cause any other job is better than it audit

Unregistered 02-05-2022 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216646)
The hr is in charge of advisory, and honestly, any other job is better than what I applied for. If I can somehow get out of it by way of hr thinking I’m a better fit for other jobs, that will be good, cause any other job is better than it audit

I assume you are the same dude who applied for IT audit without knowing what it is.

Have you applied for two roles with the same firm, and are you granted interviews for both roles? If yes, you need a good summary of why you have applied for two roles (which are quite different), and why now you preferred the other role. Away from that, just need to do well for the interview same as any other thing.

If you only apply for the IT audit role or are only interviewed for the IT audit role, the HR or interviewer is not going to consider you for the other roles. Don't bother trying to wing your way through it. The most likely result of winging it is that they realise you don't even know what you have applied for and fail you for the IT audit interview too.

Unregistered 02-05-2022 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216640)
Ah thanks all for the reply, helps a lot. Could you share a little on the job scope like what do transfer pricing associates do?

Most people are probably more familiar with assurance workflow than taxation (and specifically transfer pricing). Try to read up about it? s://.pwc.com/sg/en/tax/transfer-pricing.html

Transfer pricing is about the pricing mechanism within a group when there is intra group transfer of good and services, and particularly relevant when there are cross border tax implications

So you will probably be doing things like:
-Familiarization with different tax regulation in countries,
-Review or advise companies' transfer pricing policies/processes and as well as the systems/documentations. Whether it is kosher and well documented and how to reduce tax burden
-Benchmarking and other analysis to justify certain things.

Unregistered 02-05-2022 10:15 PM

Why do people choose audit or tax as a starting career in big4? What are the pros and cons for each pathway? And which one is more sustainable over the long run?

Unregistered 02-05-2022 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216647)
I assume you are the same dude who applied for IT audit without knowing what it is.

Have you applied for two roles with the same firm, and are you granted interviews for both roles? If yes, you need a good summary of why you have applied for two roles (which are quite different), and why now you preferred the other role. Away from that, just need to do well for the interview same as any other thing.

If you only apply for the IT audit role or are only interviewed for the IT audit role, the HR or interviewer is not going to consider you for the other roles. Don't bother trying to wing your way through it. The most likely result of winging it is that they realise you don't even know what you have applied for and fail you for the IT audit interview too.

Lol nah, different person, mine is uni internship which starts around the end of the year, idk about the other guy

Unregistered 02-05-2022 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216660)
Lol nah, different person, mine is uni internship which starts around the end of the year, idk about the other guy

Try doing well for this intervew instead of pitching for a different one. Apply for other internships at the same time.

In the very rare instance, the HR or interviewer may ask you if you are interested in another role. But I don't see how that will happen for big4 since they are quite experienced with organisation of hiring of interns. So already have enough candidates applying for each role, so don't need to pass the ball around

Unregistered 02-05-2022 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216651)
Why do people choose audit or tax as a starting career in big4? What are the pros and cons for each pathway? And which one is more sustainable over the long run?

Tax is dry but require more brains. Smarter nerdier types go there. Your command of language and comprehension must actually be of some standard to grasp tax legislation and regulations.

Assurance is process driven and less intellectual. Aka more brainless. Your language can be piss poor which is why cheap malaysians are hired by the truck;oad.

Unregistered 02-05-2022 11:20 PM

pay for A1 tax n audit for blue?

Unregistered 02-05-2022 11:34 PM

Blue or yellow for audit?

Unregistered 02-05-2022 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216671)

Yellow, max will welcome u with open arms

Unregistered 02-05-2022 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216649)
Most people are probably more familiar with assurance workflow than taxation (and specifically transfer pricing). Try to read up about it? s://.pwc.com/sg/en/tax/transfer-pricing.html

Transfer pricing is about the pricing mechanism within a group when there is intra group transfer of good and services, and particularly relevant when there are cross border tax implications

-Review or advise companies' transfer pricing policies/processes and as well as the systems/documentations. Whether it is kosher and well documented and how to reduce tax burden

Thanks so much bro for this, appreciate it! Do you think it’s worth joining tho? Especially for non accounting degree holders (like business, econs, finance grads). Just considering this role as a backup in case no other offers. What are the exit opportunities like too, do people tend to remain stuck in this field?

Unregistered 02-05-2022 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216649)

Thanks so much bro for this, appreciate it! Do you think it’s worth joining for non accounting degree holders (like business, econs, finance grads etc)? What are the exit opportunities like too, like do people stay stuck in this line of work? Considering this as a backup in case.

Unregistered 02-05-2022 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216667)
Tax is dry but require more brains. Smarter nerdier types go there. Your command of language and comprehension must actually be of some standard to grasp tax legislation and regulations.

Assurance is process driven and less intellectual. Aka more brainless. Your language can be piss poor which is why cheap malaysians are hired by the truck;oad.

So transfer pricing is considered quite ok since it’s under tax?

Which big 4 for transfer pricing then?

Unregistered 03-05-2022 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216674)
Thanks so much bro for this, appreciate it! Do you think it’s worth joining for non accounting degree holders (like business, econs, finance grads etc)? What are the exit opportunities like too, like do people stay stuck in this line of work? Considering this as a backup in case.

Transfer pricing is very niche. u will likely be pigeon holed there unless u do a masters or something so u must make sure thats what u rly wanna do

Unregistered 03-05-2022 12:15 AM

Tax much harder to make partner. Almost every company needs a statutory audit, whereas only large MNC needs tax compliance or cross border tax advisory. Good luck finding clients

Unregistered 03-05-2022 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216681)
Tax much harder to make partner. Almost every company needs a statutory audit, whereas only large MNC needs tax compliance or cross border tax advisory. Good luck finding clients

Singapore market too small already.

Unregistered 03-05-2022 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216674)

Taxation + advanced taxation should be 2-3 modules of coursework for an accountancy undergraduate. It is good if you have some accounting knowledge but I will say that taxation is rather standalone / isolated from other accountancy course work. So it is an area that non accounting graduates can try to pick up. Feasibility is probably higher than assurance work.

Taxation is a specialized field, so it is not a natural choice for people to choose if they want to branch out to other stuff. But again, it depends on what other stuff that you want to branch out to. I think tax itself has sufficient things to do for you to build a career around it.

Can't say it is worth anot. It really depends on the individual and tax is a pretty different animal. I found it hard to stay interested in my tax coursework although I had good interest in my accounting coursework, and other finance/economic/operation management modules.

I know fresh graduates like to think about exit opps / variation. But there are no jobs (other than SAF general) that give you many branches to switch to a different role if you dislike what you are doing. You have to think deep of what you want to do, and whether taxation could be complementary to it or it could be a career you can see yourself doing.

Unregistered 03-05-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216687)
Taxation + advanced taxation should be 2-3 modules of coursework for an accountancy undergraduate. It is good if you have some accounting knowledge but I will say that taxation is rather standalone / isolated from other accountancy course work. So it is an area that non accounting graduates can try to pick up. Feasibility is probably higher than assurance work.

Taxation is a specialized field, so it is not a natural choice for people to choose if they want to branch out to other stuff. But again, it depends on what other stuff that you want to branch out to. I think tax itself has sufficient things to do for you to build a career around it.

Can't say it is worth anot. It really depends on the individual and tax is a pretty different animal. I found it hard to stay interested in my tax coursework although I had good interest in my accounting coursework, and other finance/economic/operation management modules.

I know fresh graduates like to think about exit opps / variation. But there are no jobs (other than SAF general) that give you many branches to switch to a different role if you dislike what you are doing. You have to think deep of what you want to do, and whether taxation could be complementary to it or it could be a career you can see yourself doing.

Thanks for sharing mate!

Unregistered 03-05-2022 07:42 AM

Thanks for the sharing a everyone, big help here.

Unregistered 03-05-2022 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216671)

Whats the pay now?

Unregistered 03-05-2022 11:48 AM

After 1 year in working experience in big4 as A1, and if I want to switch pathway, do I apply as experienced associate or fresh graduate? (Assuming I apply to other big4 instead of internal transfer which doubtfully quite hard to do so.)

Eg: after a year,

A1 in tax in Black transfer to > Audit in Blue

Do I apply as experienced associate or fresh graduate?

Unregistered 03-05-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216705)
After 1 year in working experience in big4 as A1, and if I want to switch pathway, do I apply as experienced associate or fresh graduate? (Assuming I apply to other big4 instead of internal transfer which doubtfully quite hard to do so.)

Eg: after a year,

A1 in tax in Black transfer to > Audit in Blue

Do I apply as experienced associate or fresh graduate?

Just drop the HR an email and see which option to click. Either way, the other firm will probably start you as a first year associate since the work done is quite different.

If you seek an internal transfer (more applicable for managers year, and senior year for some). You might keep your rank. In some cases, they might tell you that your grade will shift down one notch, or progression will be stalled first.

Unregistered 03-05-2022 12:06 PM

Anyone who quit (A1/2) and come back within half a year or less? Is there interview again and Will they accept you back?

Unregistered 03-05-2022 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216707)
Anyone who quit (A1/2) and come back within half a year or less? Is there interview again and Will they accept you back?

You have strange career choices and questions. Big4 always need new blood, so high chance they don't mind interview you and qccept it.

Unregistered 03-05-2022 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216706)
Just drop the HR an email and see which option to click. Either way, the other firm will probably start you as a first year associate since the work done is quite different.

If you seek an internal transfer (more applicable for managers year, and senior year for some). You might keep your rank. In some cases, they might tell you that your grade will shift down one notch, or progression will be stalled first.

In a dilemma if i should apply experienced audit associate in blue?
Background: around 10 months in big 4 (not blue), then quit and work as advisory in commercial and does not like it (a few months), and prefer audit. Should I try to apply experienced audit associate?

Unregistered 03-05-2022 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216706)

In a dilemma if I should apply experienced audit associate in blue?
Background: in audit in big 4 (not blue) for approximately 10 months and quit and went to commercial as advisory currently a few months and does not like it, and wanna do audit. Should I apply experienced audit associate in blue?