Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 09-04-2024 09:31 PM

Avoid jobs that specifically target ex big 4 auditors. They just want to squeeze you dry since you have prior experience of being tortured. These jobs are usually fast paced and stressful

Unregistered 09-04-2024 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274522)
Avoid jobs that specifically target ex big 4 auditors. They just want to squeeze you dry since you have prior experience of being tortured. These jobs are usually fast paced and stressful

lol u meant that tech coy

Unregistered 10-04-2024 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274522)

lol shepoo horror story?

Unregistered 10-04-2024 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274468)
I noticed those who stayed long time don't want to change the situation

They changed, for the worse. Look at how many of your batch mates are still around.

Unregistered 10-04-2024 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274290)
Anyone can share if getting a CA is really that important? A1 in orange firm now. I don't intend to stay until manager so don't really see the point in getting CA but the firm keeps pushing for us to pursue it. Is it really worth the effort?

Based on personal experience,

Pros:
1) looks nice on your resume
2) if you’re from ntu, get a recap on everything you learnt in uni
3) better career opps (unconfirmed)
4) study leave

Cons:
1) ties you down to ATO firms (limited and mostly audit) for at least 3 years

Although only 1 con, it feels extremely shitty when you’re thinking of leaving but stuck cos of this commitment. ISCA obviously knows what they’re doing cos why else would they limit to just ATO firms and not all accounting roles?

All in the name of preserving our accounting industry

Unregistered 10-04-2024 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274578)
Based on personal experience,

Pros:
1) looks nice on your resume
2) if you’re from ntu, get a recap on everything you learnt in uni
3) better career opps (unconfirmed)
4) study leave

Cons:
1) ties you down to ATO firms (limited and mostly audit) for at least 3 years

Although only 1 con, it feels extremely shitty when you’re thinking of leaving but stuck cos of this commitment. ISCA obviously knows what they’re doing cos why else would they limit to just ATO firms and not all accounting roles?

All in the name of preserving our accounting industry

Agree with the above. But if you don’t intend to pursue the accounting path, suggest you don’t take SCAQ. Take some other certs you are interested in.

The firm pushes you to take the exam in order to keep you in the firm for the three years. Many of my friends who want to leave but are tied down by this 3 years ATO commitment.

Orange firm for audit relatively has better welfare and culture compared to the other three. So it might not be that bad.

In terms of the value of the cert, maybe the opportunities slightly more advantageous compared to those without for accounting roles.

Unregistered 10-04-2024 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 274585)
Agree with the above. But if you don’t intend to pursue the accounting path, suggest you don’t take SCAQ. Take some other certs you are interested in.

The firm pushes you to take the exam in order to keep you in the firm for the three years. Many of my friends who want to leave but are tied down by this 3 years ATO commitment.

Orange firm for audit relatively has better welfare and culture compared to the other three. So it might not be that bad.

In terms of the value of the cert, maybe the opportunities slightly more advantageous compared to those without for accounting roles.

Thanks for the response! I’ve heard people saying “better job opportunities” but is this really true? Actually most seniors/AMs/managers I’ve spoken to don’t have CA. Some that have left in the past few months don’t have CA too but seem to find jobs easily? Let’s say I intend to pursue internal audit, is having a CA a hard requirement? From what I understand internal audit has its own certifications as well. Sorry for the many qns… trying to figure out if I really want to stay here for 3 years, just did my first peak and I want to die

Unregistered 10-04-2024 06:57 PM

Quote:

Why do you think orange firm has better welfare and culture?

Are you referring to the managers, or the leadership?

Unregistered 10-04-2024 08:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the responses! I do hear people saying "better job opportunities" with CA but is it really true? Most of the seniors and managers I know don't have CA and many have left in the past few months, they don't seem to have difficulties finding jobs. If I'm intending to join internal audit, is CA a hard requirement? Just weighing the pros and cons if staying 3 years here is worth it, finished 1 peak and I'm dying alr

Unregistered 11-04-2024 08:45 AM

At the junior level, the workload is heavy but work is not complex.

Client got cash? Send a bank confirmation.
Got receivables? Send AR confirmation and Check subsequent receipts after year end.
Inventory? Go stock take and count quantities. Costing done by senior no need care. Best case scenario is external warehouse, just get confirmation.
Deposits and prepayments? Sight to deposit and agreement. Prepayment is simple secondary school math to prorate period lapsed vs period remaining.
Fixed assets? Depreciation is basic math. Addition and Disposal just vouching work. Asset sighting also easy, walk around with client tick tick confirm asset number and existence only.

Audit very hard meh? Honestly polytechnic student also can do A1 work.