Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 11-08-2023 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 253713)
unfortunately no, by right april should have adjustment liao but nope

For audit, there were pay revisions in past 2 years in some of the firms

This seem to have created an expectation especially for the younger ones that pay revision is an annual event.

Sorry to disappoint but for some firms, the pay scale didn’t change for at least 5 years before this.

Reminds me… in 2018 can adjust Retained Profits because of FRS 109 and in 2019 can adjust because of FRS 116. Then got aunties happy happy thought that every year can suka suka adjust one.

Unregistered 11-08-2023 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 253717)
only big 4 audit need to OT. Consulting and advisory 5.30 close laptop

depends on type of advisory. tech and risk, yes. deals dont close at 5.30

Unregistered 11-08-2023 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 253720)
For audit, there were pay revisions in past 2 years in some of the firms

This seem to have created an expectation especially for the younger ones that pay revision is an annual event.

Sorry to disappoint but for some firms, the pay scale didn’t change for at least 5 years before this.

Reminds me… in 2018 can adjust Retained Profits because of FRS 109 and in 2019 can adjust because of FRS 116. Then got aunties happy happy thought that every year can suka suka adjust one.

one well known adjustment is also last year as KPMG announced to whole world they will be increasing up till 20% for the lower level peeps.. heard our boss for consulting side,my firm said april would have adjustment depending on economy, but since it didnt then ya. listen can alr, dont put up high hopes... but some people thought yearly adjustment one, but never read / keep up with news... US laying off people still want adjustment...

Unregistered 11-08-2023 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 253709)
Lmao. then why all thse Gen Z even bother to join Big4 in the first place?

There are so many other jobs out there that allow u to shut off at 530 on-the-dot. Civil service, many tech companies, European MNCs.

The truth is that these people cmi to other better places, so bopian have to work in Big 4 because Big 4 standards are low and they will hire anybody with a pulse.

The trade off for getting easily hired is that you work long hours lor.

If you were good, you wouldn't be in Big 4 earning one of the lowest GES starting salaries relative to the hours. Now that's the very epitome of failed marginal utility analysis.

Lol.
Firstly, the job market is so bad right now. i know this is just an excuse for me but oh well im still trying to get better offers.

Personally, i dont like IB, even though they are highly paid, the working hours are bad too. And the slots are limited. Tried for their interview and i hate the cases so i know i hate the job.

Banks jobs. It is possible to get off 5.30pm. But not all departments :) They progression is slower, but higher starting pay. Bank exit opportunities is still banks. It is possible to jump to outside of banks, but harder.

Yes, i did considered government jobs. Their worklife balance is great. I am applying now already. Didn't consider government job initially because of the slow progression and poor exit opportunities. Exit ops prolly another government agency. Hard to climb and very hierarchical. but now i feel worklife balance is more impt than all these progression, hence i applied and waiting for offer.

Not all big4 positions are bad. I know audit is bad. But advisory is okok only. If u go deals / strategic - pay is higher but work life is worst too. Big4 no doubt has a better exit ops.
But u have to work with a lot of JHK and they are incompetent. I experienced it and hate them so im jumping out soon.

Tech companies? HAHAHA not all tech are good. If u are talking about google, then dont bother because it is hard to go in. How about shopee? it is damn bad lol. They do not have hybrid working style and have to OT for finance department. it is so bad. no no. The pay is only $500 higher than big4 only. while now in big4 i only go office once a week.

Unregistered 11-08-2023 04:57 PM

Someone tell me what JHK means...

Unregistered 11-08-2023 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 253740)
Someone tell me what JHK means...

malaysian ppl

Unregistered 11-08-2023 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 253715)
I give it to you that you have some valid points, but they are completely countered by the criteria in 4 about adhering to the working hours.

In this day and age, work life balance is one of, if not the top factor that youths care about. This set of trade offs is just not ideal anymore.

People want to “enjoy life” after graduating, not slog for another 3 to 5 years for a POSSIBLE higher starting point.

Big4 is the wrong place to go if you want to come home 530 everyday.

I am referring to the premise that you end work at 530 at Big4 by 'getting by'. There is not need to be 'good' or try so hard any way. Focus on stuff outside of work and get a life. You don't have to please ur managers or partners.

Unregistered 11-08-2023 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 253731)
Lol.
Firstly, the job market is so bad right now. i know this is just an excuse for me but oh well im still trying to get better offers.

Personally, i dont like IB, even though they are highly paid, the working hours are bad too. And the slots are limited. Tried for their interview and i hate the cases so i know i hate the job.

Banks jobs. It is possible to get off 5.30pm. But not all departments :) They progression is slower, but higher starting pay. Bank exit opportunities is still banks. It is possible to jump to outside of banks, but harder.

Yes, i did considered government jobs. Their worklife balance is great. I am applying now already. Didn't consider government job initially because of the slow progression and poor exit opportunities. Exit ops prolly another government agency. Hard to climb and very hierarchical. but now i feel worklife balance is more impt than all these progression, hence i applied and waiting for offer.

Not all big4 positions are bad. I know audit is bad. But advisory is okok only. If u go deals / strategic - pay is higher but work life is worst too. Big4 no doubt has a better exit ops.
But u have to work with a lot of JHK and they are incompetent. I experienced it and hate them so im jumping out soon.

Tech companies? HAHAHA not all tech are good. If u are talking about google, then dont bother because it is hard to go in. How about shopee? it is damn bad lol. They do not have hybrid working style and have to OT for finance department. it is so bad. no no. The pay is only $500 higher than big4 only. while now in big4 i only go office once a week.

I second this. niche departments in big4 are much better. research about those smaller departments that are less focussed on audit. Even in assurance there are many of these departments. Easily no OT and same progression. When you exit, you can also smoke it however you want regarding what you did + experience

Unregistered 11-08-2023 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 253726)
one well known adjustment is also last year as KPMG announced to whole world they will be increasing up till 20% for the lower level peeps.. heard our boss for consulting side,my firm said april would have adjustment depending on economy, but since it didnt then ya. listen can alr, dont put up high hopes... but some people thought yearly adjustment one, but never read / keep up with news... US laying off people still want adjustment...

this is the typical boomer attitude that resulted in Big4 not having to raise salaries in ten years.

To all the new people. make noise and make yourself heard. Quit more and express discontent. This is literally the only way to force them to increase pay. Dont listen to boomers who already showed they suck at looking out for themselves and accept status quo.

Unregistered 11-08-2023 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 253715)
I give it to you that you have some valid points, but they are completely countered by the criteria in 4 about adhering to the working hours.

In this day and age, work life balance is one of, if not the top factor that youths care about. This set of trade offs is just not ideal anymore.

People want to “enjoy life” after graduating, not slog for another 3 to 5 years for a POSSIBLE higher starting point.

Big4 is the wrong place to go if you want to come home 530 everyday.

But i am in assurance and i start work at 11+ and end work at 5+ for 75% of the year though. The other 25% i wake at 9 and end at 6. Not to mention once a week in office.

I am enjoying my life and not slogging.