Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

xxl 01-06-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67453)
What degree are you are having? Expected honors?
Why specifically FMCG?

Hi. Expected second upper for business degree. Worked as a sales promoter after o level and was curious about why consumers chose one product instead of the other so i decided to do marketing internship (completed 2) with FMCG companies when i was in SIM.

Unregistered 03-06-2015 09:02 PM

Back to topic, I'm a sim rmit e&f grad
2013 , 2.3 k , sell side house fo
2014 , 3.7 k , bigger sell side house fo
2015 , 4.1 k , increment
2015 mid , 5 k , buy side pb fo
Checking with the sim grads , am I on track ? Thx

Unregistered 03-06-2015 10:51 PM

No.

Your imagination is restricted to such small numbers?

Dream bigger man!!!!!!

Unregistered 04-06-2015 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67593)
2015 , 4.1 k , increment

not bad, but a better indication will be your annual package.

Unregistered 04-06-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

2015 , 4.1 k , increment

Wana BS at least do some basic research. Where got buyside front office offer only 5k for mid career hire!? LOL they are throwing 8-11k even for fresh grads.

Unregistered 04-06-2015 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67608)
Wana BS at least do some basic research. Where got buyside front office offer only 5k for mid career hire!? LOL they are throwing 8-11k even for fresh grads.

i was thinking the same as well lol.. unless he's in the support/ops function.. Or by some miracle the firm actually lowball-ed him to that extent lol.

Unregistered 04-06-2015 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67609)
i was thinking the same as well lol.. unless he's in the support/ops function.. Or by some miracle the firm actually lowball-ed him to that extent lol.

If really support/ops then is sibei thick skin to call himself buy side fo... Like that the security guard at bank building also can call himself banker.

Unregistered 04-06-2015 11:04 AM

sim grads like to lie about their salary?

Unregistered 04-06-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

2015 , 4.1 k , increment

firstly, i doubt you are in the fo.
secondly, i have never seen anyone in fo drawing 2.3k for a start. you trade support sibo ?
lastly after having 3 years exp you draw 5k in fo? you in what kind of fo? sell chicken rice one is it?

Unregistered 04-06-2015 07:24 PM

Is the job market that good? He is able to hop quite a few places in a short period of time

Unregistered 04-06-2015 10:59 PM

To those who love to bash and look down on SIM grads, do you really think you're damn successful ? You're probably just finding comfort, hiding behind your keyboard, bashing SIM grads. What a fool seriously.

Unregistered 04-06-2015 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67662)
To those who love to bash and look down on SIM grads, do you really think you're damn successful ? You're probably just finding comfort, hiding behind your keyboard, bashing SIM grads. What a fool seriously.

No need to be so angry. The world is made for all sorts of people.

Some ppl go EM1, others go EM3.
Some ppl go Special stream, others go Normal Acad.
Some ppl go JC, others go poly.
Some ppl go NUS, others go SIM.

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone has a role to play! :)

Unregistered 05-06-2015 02:36 AM

hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66954)
Hello all! I'm currently a fresh graduate and I have some questions regarding Personal Bankers.
May I know what is the minimum requirement to become a Personal Banker?
What banks do you guys recommend joining?
Would it be a good platform, in terms of venturing into the banking industry as a first job?
How's the life of a PB like?

Thanks alot!

if u are talking about academic requirements then it will be Diploma.
mostly local banks will hire freshie and be prepared to work hard to survive the probation period and work harder to raise through the ranks.
u can start off as a pb then move on to foreign banks to service offshore or higher networth clients.
in the end its all about connections and networking between your peers and bosses.

im a freshie from UCD , Uni college Dublin . in business banking . my annual salary package now is only 55k...

Unregistered 05-06-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67664)
if u are talking about academic requirements then it will be Diploma.
mostly local banks will hire freshie and be prepared to work hard to survive the probation period and work harder to raise through the ranks.
u can start off as a pb then move on to foreign banks to service offshore or higher networth clients.
in the end its all about connections and networking between your peers and bosses.

im a freshie from UCD , Uni college Dublin . in business banking . my annual salary package now is only 55k...

"... only 55k"? That's a lot!

Mind sharing which bank it is? Is the 55k straight out of graduation? Are your peers getting that amount too? How is the salary progression like?

Unregistered 05-06-2015 12:40 PM

UOL enf FCH of class 2013/2014 here.

Working in a small PB in SG but unfortunately my function is not as glamorous as some of the FO / AM folks here who r taking home lotsa dough every month. Not in ops, investment research, mkts bla bla.

My basic is about SGD55K++, all in would be around SGD 67K++ per annum.

Yet, still can't afford a car, taking mrt everyday and eating cai png / hokkien mee / chicken rice

Unregistered 05-06-2015 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67679)

Working in a small PB in SG but unfortunately my function is not as glamorous as some of the FO / AM folks here who r taking home lotsa dough every month. Not in ops, investment research, mkts bla bla.

Yet, still can't afford a car, taking mrt everyday and eating cai png / hokkien mee / chicken rice

your first job? How old are u?

Unregistered 05-06-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67680)
your first job? How old are u?

Coming 27 this year, my 2nd job actually. Previous job also in similar capacity but more junior.

Prior to my graduation i took up a contract role doing ops with another bank altho it is pretty much unrelated to the job im doing now. I was doing PT studies in my final yr since i needed money to pay for sch fees..

Unregistered 05-06-2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67625)
firstly, i doubt you are in the fo.
secondly, i have never seen anyone in fo drawing 2.3k for a start. you trade support sibo ?
lastly after having 3 years exp you draw 5k in fo? you in what kind of fo? sell chicken rice one is it?

hi bro.. started off as a small fry broker
now is pb dealer... not sell chick rice but love to eat golden shoe chick rice..
cheers

Unregistered 05-06-2015 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67679)

You can't afford a new car, but you can well afford a used one. However if you work in the CBD then it would be totally impractical. No point paying $5 ERP to govt daily and $300-500 season parking monthly.

Unregistered 05-06-2015 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67683)
You can't afford a new car, but you can well afford a used one. However if you work in the CBD then it would be totally impractical. No point paying $5 ERP to govt daily and $300-500 season parking monthly.

Well, i don't really see any absolute needs in having a car at this juncture, blowing about $1k - 1.2k on installments, fuels, parking fees other misc stuffs. Yes, I work in CBD and the hourly parking fees at my building is ridiculous. Sadly, "Parking pass" a.k.a free-parking pass only issued to SVPs/ directors and above...

Good thing is that i am not in a client facing role, so not much travels expected. Though, the downside would be squeezing in that sardine-packed train during peak hours...

Anyway, good to see many UOL grads here doing well (probably some of them r trolls but w/e)

Unregistered 05-06-2015 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62605)
2nd upper. starting pay 7.5k.

hahaha. stop joking. it is a well known fact that the Grad Recruitment team in HR filters out those SIM/UOL/Kaplan/what-ever-else-private-uni CVs.

even if you list yourself as LSE, which is frankly, an extremely prestigious university in London, they know you are lying by looking at your CV.

conclusion - private uni grads will never be called up for a grad role - even for back office grad programmes.

Unregistered 05-06-2015 04:51 PM

friends, pls stop saying you are from LSE when you have a degree from SIM/UOL or whatever not.

LSE is a school under UOL, as are Imperial and Kings. Degrees are conferred by the school, unlike our NUS where everyone has a NUS degree.

UOL has a distant learning programme, which is completely different from LSE. So stop saying you went to LSE if you did a local distant learning programme.

Unregistered 05-06-2015 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67701)
friends, pls stop saying you are from LSE when you have a degree from SIM/UOL or whatever not.

LSE is a school under UOL, as are Imperial and Kings. Degrees are conferred by the school, unlike our NUS where everyone has a NUS degree.

UOL has a distant learning programme, which is completely different from LSE. So stop saying you went to LSE if you did a local distant learning programme.

i hav not come across any sim uol grads putting LSE in their CV though.

Unregistered 05-06-2015 10:13 PM

so be it first class or what sim uol still can find job right, only not that easy only eh

Unregistered 06-06-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67701)

If that is what they need to do to get a job, then also bo bian right? It's about how you market yourself mah... If not enough substance, must boost the branding a bit and see who falls for it.

Unregistered 06-06-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67713)
so be it first class or what sim uol still can find job right, only not that easy only eh

Of cuz whatever class and whatever uni also can find job. It's what job u r toking abt!

Unregistered 06-06-2015 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67723)
If that is what they need to do to get a job, then also bo bian right? It's about how you market yourself mah... If not enough substance, must boost the branding a bit and see who falls for it.

mmhm not sure if we should encourage/allow factual inaccuracies in resumes but each to his own I guess

Unregistered 06-06-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67728)
mmhm not sure if we should encourage/allow factual inaccuracies in resumes but each to his own I guess

You are right. It's a fine line to tread between beautifying one's resume and being deceptive.

Unregistered 06-06-2015 04:55 PM

I'm not from SIM nor do i know anyone from SIM. Truth be told, I wasn't even aware it is considered a university in Singapore.

However, i notice many forummers here have a tendency to mock SIM grads, not just on this thread but on several others as well. Why is that so? Do SIM grads really suck and are yet full of themselves?

Even if their private degree is not deemed to be of equal value as degrees from NUS or NTU, are SIM grads not generally considered to hold higher qualifications than diploma holders? I would think there are many "lesser mortals" in terms of academic qualifications. If so, why are SIM grads the target of such mockery and disdain?

Just curious, cuz i know nothing about SIM.

Unregistered 06-06-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67702)
i hav not come across any sim uol grads putting LSE in their CV though.

Im from UOL and I havent personally seen anyone's resume. But I do know quite a few friends who went to SIM-UOL but puts LSE on their facebook profiles and also in their conversation with their friends or people that they meet. But I'm just too polite to correct them in their face.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67734)
I'm not from SIM nor do i know anyone from SIM. Truth be told, I wasn't even aware it is considered a university in Singapore.

However, i notice many forummers here have a tendency to mock SIM grads, not just on this thread but on several others as well. Why is that so? Do SIM grads really suck and are yet full of themselves?

Even if their private degree is not deemed to be of equal value as degrees from NUS or NTU, are SIM grads not generally considered to hold higher qualifications than diploma holders? I would think there are many "lesser mortals" in terms of academic qualifications. If so, why are SIM grads the target of such mockery and disdain?

Just curious, cuz i know nothing about SIM.

You cant take what people say online as a correct representation of reality. People describe NTU as a 'tiong' school as well. But the PRC population there is no more than in NUS or SMU. You don't know who these people are, they might be SIM grads/students themselves.

Some of the mockery is honestly derived from SIM students themselves who make weird claims like the one above about being from LSE and also that we are somehow 'street-smart' and other university grads are not. These claims do gain a considerable amount of mockery. IMO, dont take what anyone says online seriously. Its best to just take care of yourself and let your performance at work speak for your abilities.

Unregistered 08-06-2015 09:15 AM

True blue sim uol grad here. bnf 2nd upper graduated in 2013. below is my short career statistics.

2013 sep first job =3K
2014 mar first bonus =1.5 months
2015 mar 2nd bonus/first increment =5 months/3.3K
2015 jul joined hedge fund 4.2K

Unregistered 08-06-2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67811)
True blue sim uol grad here. bnf 2nd upper graduated in 2013. below is my short career statistics.

2013 sep first job =3K
2014 mar first bonus =1.5 months
2015 mar 2nd bonus/first increment =5 months/3.3K
2015 jul joined hedge fund 4.2K

I meant joining hedge fund.

Unregistered 08-06-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67736)
Im from UOL and I havent personally seen anyone's resume. But I do know quite a few friends who went to SIM-UOL but puts LSE on their facebook profiles and also in their conversation with their friends or people that they meet. But I'm just too polite to correct them in their face.

You cant take what people say online as a correct representation of reality. People describe NTU as a 'tiong' school as well. But the PRC population there is no more than in NUS or SMU. You don't know who these people are, they might be SIM grads/students themselves.

Some of the mockery is honestly derived from SIM students themselves who make weird claims like the one above about being from LSE and also that we are somehow 'street-smart' and other university grads are not. These claims do gain a considerable amount of mockery. IMO, dont take what anyone says online seriously. Its best to just take care of yourself and let your performance at work speak for your abilities.

I agree - most of it is due to generalisation. I do know a couple of SIM grads - who are down to earth and happy to admit that they are from SIM, not start a convo/post on FB that they are UOL/LSE/RMIT. in my opinion, you should be proud of what you have - people think lowly of you if you try to act.

degree wise - SIM's courses are no way comparable to the local standards - there is a reason why NUS/SMU/NTU are 4 year full time courses. coupled with the fact that grades are normalized in local universities.

the crap about being streetsmart etc, is 100% ********. try telling a NUS grad who got into InvBanking earning 10k a month as his first pay, driving a BMW after 2-3 years that he is not streetsmart. likewise, claims about SIM grads making into graduate programmes are just laughable.

Unregistered 08-06-2015 05:31 PM

Private Equity. UOL E&F degree 2:1. 3.3k

Unregistered 08-06-2015 05:35 PM

To continue from above, for SIM-UOL grads or SIM in general, you need to go out and network. Talk to people. Get involved in your future career.

If you want to be B, research it. Join competitions. Getting a good job is not easy especially being from SIM-GE when you have local U competing for the same pool of jobs.

True, but if you give up - that's that. Network. Be Likeable. Know people. Know jobs before they are even posted.

Get internships (I am glad I did. It led to a better internship and another better one) - till I landed a full time offer.

Life is not defined by your paycheck, but whether you are willing to fight for the future you want - be it failure or success. Keep trying (smartly).

-ZP

Unregistered 09-06-2015 05:09 PM

anyone has a rough gauge for the starting salary of a fresh grad in the accounting field? Expecting a 2nd upper degree if all goes well. UOL-SIM A&F student here.

Unregistered 09-06-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67882)
anyone has a rough gauge for the starting salary of a fresh grad in the accounting field? Expecting a 2nd upper degree if all goes well. UOL-SIM A&F student here.

SGD 2200 - 2700 / mth

Unregistered 09-06-2015 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67883)
SGD 2200 - 2700 / mth

ok thanks for the info!

Unregistered 09-06-2015 09:11 PM

hm what kind of company would employ business management degree holders. basically havent think of what profession yet. any help

Unregistered 09-06-2015 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67883)
SGD 2200 - 2700 / mth

what about 2nd lower?

also roughly the same?