Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 03-07-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39423)
fark off and dun try & talk big plz. i am proud of my school from sim and the fact i now make more $$$ than the elitist scholars.

with this kind of comment, you are just proving that some sim grads have bad attitudes.

then again, i dunno whether are you really from sim.

i was from sim (rmit), i did outperform some other uni grads already but we dun go around bragging about it or what. it is through own hard work and effort and we prove our worth through actions. in my current firm, all degree holders are treated the same and we care more about what each other can contribute.

somehow i have the feeling that most comments here are from undergrads (sim and local unis) rather than grads already working.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 06:44 PM

u are just proving the previous post right. haha

Quote:

fark off and dun try & talk big plz. i am proud of my school from sim and the fact i now make more $$$ than the elitist scholars.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39421)
Top Australian Unis are not significantly better than NUS.

frankly speaking, Australian universities are not bad, even the second tier ones are recognised worldwide. the country is so huge but there are only 30+ universities, unlike US and China where there are thousands of universities.

but its because they are too profit-oriented and money-minded that led to the standard of their degrees dropping, though they do deliver high quality programmes.

SG_User 03-07-2013 09:52 PM

SIM grads seems to be disliked/condemned by many here. Hmm...

Unregistered 03-07-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Don't be retarded. SIM's schooling culture does not breed this kind of crude person. I am from SIM-UOL and I can smell you as a troll trying to bring down our school's reputation.

Anyway, I am 28 years old this year, working in marketing department earning 5k a month as marketing manager in a local SMC. Not all SIM-UOL deserves to get low pay, in our society especially sales, marketing and HR, being street smart is more important than having tons of knowledge.

Unregistered 03-07-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SG_User (Post 39432)
SIM grads seems to be disliked/condemned by many here. Hmm...

if you read carefully, might even be just 1 person trolling around? I grad from one of the local unis, i have some friends from SIM, i have a few SIM colleagues and they are all ok in their work and are rather nice people.

i suspect it might be the case of someone getting outperformed by a SIM grad and feeling sour about it? no offence here. if it really happens, you should take it in your stride and try to improve yourself. in healthy competition, if you make personal attack just because you think you come from somewhere better, then its really immature of you.

why bash own country citizens when we should be competing against the FTs?

Unregistered 03-07-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39397)
Generally as a group SIMs are inferior to the proper local university graduates in terms of articulation, written correspondence, general knowledge and attitude. Most SIMs seem to be aware of this poor perception of them and try to thump their noses by potraying themselves as streetsmart and often rationalise questionable work attitude.

Never count, but throughout my recruitment days probably have met 200-300 SIMs I guess. My estimate is about 15%-20% are late bloomers who just happen to do poorly in school in their early days and can take on the competiton with better grads and even outperform them career wise. The rest mostly have sub-par careers compared to other degree grads and like to lament and attribute such poor career performance to the world being unfair and look down on SIM.

maybe you have seen more SIM grads than me but i think i will only believe 50% of what you said. i dun think they are in any way inferior in terms of articulation, written correspondence and general knowledge. at least not what i have experienced. some of them can express themselves so well. attitude wise im not sure. but i know some of them perhaps didnt work as hard during their pre-university days and are working hard now. and to be fair, a few from other private schs are doing fine too.

somehow in where i work, we dun talk and care about where we come from anymore. who still does that? we care more about the ability of each of us and the personality of each of us, EQ!

Unregistered 04-07-2013 05:09 AM

I think if you conduct a survey on 1000 NUS grads, 1000 NTU grads and 1000 SIM grads, and consider their career progression, salary and performance, the ranking order will be as such too. Generally, NUS & NTU graduates are superior in terms of quality and calibre. I mean, if you compare the number of ministers, lawyers, doctors, entrepreneurs and top professions that each institution produces, it is not hard to see which one is better. (P.S. And dont argue that SIM don't offer medicine and law courses....that is absolutely besides the point)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39440)
maybe you have seen more SIM grads than me but i think i will only believe 50% of what you said. i dun think they are in any way inferior in terms of articulation, written correspondence and general knowledge. at least not what i have experienced. some of them can express themselves so well. attitude wise im not sure. but i know some of them perhaps didnt work as hard during their pre-university days and are working hard now. and to be fair, a few from other private schs are doing fine too.

somehow in where i work, we dun talk and care about where we come from anymore. who still does that? we care more about the ability of each of us and the personality of each of us, EQ!

Unregistered 04-07-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39451)
I think if you conduct a survey on 1000 NUS grads, 1000 NTU grads and 1000 SIM grads, and consider their career progression, salary and performance, the ranking order will be as such too. Generally, NUS & NTU graduates are superior in terms of quality and calibre. I mean, if you compare the number of ministers, lawyers, doctors, entrepreneurs and top professions that each institution produces, it is not hard to see which one is better. (P.S. And dont argue that SIM don't offer medicine and law courses....that is absolutely besides the point)

SIM students think that they are going to make it big just because they study a banking and finance degree. Most think too highly of themselves and they can all talk about going into banks, yet they dont even have any idea which segment of the banks they want to venture in.

Most of them thinks that just because of a three year half-fark degree, they are suddenly going to draw a five figure. All they see is the glamour yet they have no idea what it really takes to be a private banker or a commodity trader.

However, there are still a handful that are practical and are willing to work hard to achieve what they want.

Ultimately i believe when you enter the society, its alot about attitude, the willingness to strive and work hard. There is no doubt that in general, those people in local uni are of a higher calibre than those in SIM. But there are definitely SIM graduates who make it in life. So let's not stereotype.

SG_User 04-07-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39439)
if you read carefully, might even be just 1 person trolling around? I grad from one of the local unis, i have some friends from SIM, i have a few SIM colleagues and they are all ok in their work and are rather nice people.

i suspect it might be the case of someone getting outperformed by a SIM grad and feeling sour about it? no offence here. if it really happens, you should take it in your stride and try to improve yourself. in healthy competition, if you make personal attack just because you think you come from somewhere better, then its really immature of you.

why bash own country citizens when we should be competing against the FTs?

Quite true...And especially when they are merely guests, not even registered accounts

Unregistered 04-07-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39451)

This is probably as much proof as we can get that on the whole NUS/SMU/NTU grads are better financially career wise. Problem is the sim grads refuse to admit and always start accusing others of discrimination and stereotype and cling on to some anecdotal story about a rumored SIM who made it big. This whole thread itself is the best case in point.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 10:06 AM

It's simple.. for all u sim bashers, state your current salary. For all we know ure just some undergrad punk.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 10:19 AM

I know of many SIM people who are now CEOs and senior level managers in MNCs and local blue chips. SIM people have the advantage of being street smart compared to scholars who only know how to take exams. At the end of the day in work, it is being EQ and street smart that counts when it comes to promotions.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 10:29 AM

in my company i see SIM grads more out of the box and strategic in thinking compare to the local u who are alawys by the book. most of the directors & mgrs here are SIM or other private u.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39452)
SIM students think that they are going to make it big just because they study a banking and finance degree. Most think too highly of themselves and they can all talk about going into banks, yet they dont even have any idea which segment of the banks they want to venture in.

Most of them thinks that just because of a three year half-fark degree, they are suddenly going to draw a five figure. All they see is the glamour yet they have no idea what it really takes to be a private banker or a commodity trader.

However, there are still a handful that are practical and are willing to work hard to achieve what they want.

Ultimately i believe when you enter the society, its alot about attitude, the willingness to strive and work hard. There is no doubt that in general, those people in local uni are of a higher calibre than those in SIM. But there are definitely SIM graduates who make it in life. So let's not stereotype.

You are obviously jealous because some pte uni grads manage to get in and promote inside the banks.

Banking FO is all about sales and relationship, what degree is not important. In Barclays many top traders investment bankers are from pte uni. Nus Smu grads normally end up as mid level BO ops work.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 11:08 AM

29 year old with SIM-UOL degree, currently a Marketing Associate Director in a consumer industry MNC making $9900 monthly. Its about the attitude not about degree.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 11:17 AM

30 year old with SIM-UOL degree, currently a Regional Director in a consumer industry MNC making $15000 monthly. Its about the attitude not about degree.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 11:25 AM

at the end of the day cannot generalise and sterotype, a degree is just a piece of paper to get a job. a sim grad has as much chance to become ceo as a nus grad as long as good attitude and luck. i see sim grads more adaptable to change and a lot during recession start their own biz and succeed compare to the local big3 grads who after retrench just sit at home waiting for another job.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 11:42 AM

Many big MNCs now don care about what is your degree. A few of my friends from SIM-UOL got offers for management programs by Citi, Shell, P&G, HSBC

Unregistered 04-07-2013 12:05 PM

lol at all the trolling.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 01:53 PM

seems like a lot of losers cmi in real life try to put down sim here...

SG_User 04-07-2013 02:24 PM

So I guess many are trolling in this thread yeah ? :O

Unregistered 04-07-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SG_User (Post 39473)
So I guess many are trolling in this thread yeah ? :O

u r also trolling...

SG_User 04-07-2013 02:35 PM

In what ways am I trolling ? LOL

Unregistered 04-07-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SG_User (Post 39476)
In what ways am I trolling ? LOL

troll detected

Unregistered 04-07-2013 04:13 PM

what is the point of the current discussion? Is it for SIM undergrads and even postgraduates to prove that they are on par with their NUS/NTU counterparts?

Everyone can argue until the cows come home. But ultimately, the truth is unequivocal. Ask yourself. How did you end up in SIM? Why did you not work hard in JC or why were you a mediocre student in Poly?

I am an adjunct lecturer in SIM and I recalled the Dean of Science and Technology saying "The students over here are not in the top 20% bracket. On the contrary, they fall into the other end of the spectrum."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39459)
You are obviously jealous because some pte uni grads manage to get in and promote inside the banks.

Banking FO is all about sales and relationship, what degree is not important. In Barclays many top traders investment bankers are from pte uni. Nus Smu grads normally end up as mid level BO ops work.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 04:20 PM

Comparing SIM to NUS/NTU is akin to comparing Normal Tech students with Integrated Programme and Special stream students.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39480)
what is the point of the current discussion? Is it for SIM undergrads and even postgraduates to prove that they are on par with their NUS/NTU counterparts?

Everyone can argue until the cows come home. But ultimately, the truth is unequivocal. Ask yourself. How did you end up in SIM? Why did you not work hard in JC or why were you a mediocre student in Poly?

I am an adjunct lecturer in SIM and I recalled the Dean of Science and Technology saying "The students over here are not in the top 20% bracket. On the contrary, they fall into the other end of the spectrum."

Unregistered 04-07-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

you are trap in the typical sg mentality and complete miss the point. although sim grads are not as good in school exams, they pick up a lot of life skills and street smart and eq in their life compare to the typical nus/ntu who only good at studying.

all this is more important in the pte sector as companies want staff with the right attitdue and resourceful. as a result many sim grads get promoted faster and do even better than the nus/ntu.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 04:46 PM

SIM grads get promoted and do better? Wow, that is new. Now, SIM is indeed pushing the boundary. haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39483)
you are trap in the typical sg mentality and complete miss the point. although sim grads are not as good in school exams, they pick up a lot of life skills and street smart and eq in their life compare to the typical nus/ntu who only good at studying.

all this is more important in the pte sector as companies want staff with the right attitdue and resourceful. as a result many sim grads get promoted faster and do even better than the nus/ntu.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 04:53 PM

you all really think SIM grads are more street smart than NUS/NTU?

Think again.

What is it that SIM provides that local Unis do not have? Internships? C'mon, top banks hire top grads from top Uni. Presentation skills? U just have to look at the kind of English that SIM folks speak. Industrial relevance? Just look at the number of NUS/NTU grads who are working in banks and accounting firms.

The only reason why this thing about being street smart is being discussed is because there is really nothing left for SIM folks to hold on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39483)

Unregistered 04-07-2013 05:03 PM

i dont understand why so many people want to put down sim grads, i think many nus ntu grads just enjoy looking down others even though the oxford cambridge is also looking down at them

Unregistered 04-07-2013 05:35 PM

Middle ground

2nd upper local grad/trader here. Here's what i think

1. I dunno why that idiotic SIM lecturer has to put down his own students here.

2. It's true that there are traders, FO ppl in IB from pte unis. It's just that the average local uni student is probably slightly smarter or at least more hardworking or motivated to do well than the average pte uni grad

3. I agree that whether one does well or not in pte sector, esp in banking sales, has not much to do with grades. Are pte uni grads more street smart? Maybe, hard to say. There are local uni grads who play all day and fail and those who play all day and are in Dean's list. But i think ladies from pte uni, on average, are prettier than local unis. And if im a private banking customer, SME towkay, or trader, i'll give my trade to the prettier, pte uni RM/broker over the smarter local uni grad. This is the real world.

Local/Pte uni grads each have their strengths.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 05:40 PM

Completely agree. That is why the areas of high banking finance is dorminated by private uni graduates who manage to outperform. Many of the SIM haters here probably lost out to a private uni colleague and spread lies and try to insult the school here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39489)
3. I agree that whether one does well or not in pte sector, esp in banking sales, has not much to do with grades. Are pte uni grads more street smart? Maybe, hard to say. There are local uni grads who play all day and fail and those who play all day and are in Dean's list. But i think ladies from pte uni, on average, are prettier than local unis. And if im a private banking customer, SME towkay, or trader, i'll give my trade to the prettier, pte uni RM/broker over the smarter local uni grad. This is the real world.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 05:52 PM

the fact many local u grads here are making negative remarks about pte grads shows that they are insecure and got self esteem problem, maybe career overtaken by a "inferior" pte grad.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 10:38 PM

Not true.

In the same way, it is natural for Oxbridge and Harvard grads to look down on NUS/NTU people too. I can understand that. Just have to work harder to give them a run for their money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39492)
the fact many local u grads here are making negative remarks about pte grads shows that they are insecure and got self esteem problem, maybe career overtaken by a "inferior" pte grad.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Back when i was in SP, i have a diploma with merit friend who couldnt go on to uni like us as she has to start working to support family. after a few years, she went on to do a part time degree in SIM.

dun stereotype SIM grads as a whole, go and know the individual before you pass judgement. there are some good SIM grads from my own experience.

and i highly doubt you are a lecturer. he/she wouldnt post such stuffs in a forum. dean of science and technology? come on, there are no such courses in SIM as far as i know.

NUS grad 04-07-2013 11:34 PM

in the first place this thread is for SIM-UOL grads to share their starting salary.

I highly suspect the discussions started cos some kaypo NUS/NTU/SMU grads came in to take a look and was shocked to find that some SIM grads have a higher starting salary than them.

dun flame me but i think it is possible, for those NUS/NTU/SMU grads who cannot make it. back when i was in JC, some of them barely make it to local unis or try whatever ways to appeal to get in. when they are inside, they continue to slack like nobody's business.

Most of us (I was from NUS) know that we are getting a starting pay that is justifiable, only those who 'cannot make it' will start to 'quarrel' and bring down SIM.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 01:08 AM

Okay. I think the discussion kinda getting out of hand. Nobody intends to put down others. Its just that, some of the forumers here post ridiculously high starting salary like 7k that kind. Just to clarify, I'm an SIM grad as well. Its just that to me, a lot of prospective students will be doing their research and all to decide which school to go to. And if these people keep posting fake salaries then I'm just afraid students will be deluded and go to SIM because they think they can break into such industries. Its not impossible, but like maybe only top 1-2% of the SIM cohort?

The average SIM grad, no matter how you may want to look at it, will always earn less than the average local uni grad. This is an indisputable fact. Yes, there are high earners from SIM as well, but please, if you are one, you wont be here on this stupid forum in the first place. And those that get there are a very small amount.

I know that for me, I will have to work twice as hard and pick up other REAL, TECHNICAL skills to compete with local grads. Street smarts? Dont be stupid, everybody also got street smarts la, think you so special got first class honors in street smarts is it? joke.

Ask yourself, how did you end up in SIM? Most of us are here because we did badly. I can say around 90% of us are in this situation. I think there are two types of SIM grads/students. Those who did not do well and are realistic about it hence are trying to make up for it by pushing harder. And those who are delusional and this themselves on par with local grads who are smarter and know more things due to the fact that their workload is so much more compared to us.

As an SIM grad, I can honestly say that it is not difficult to get second upper. Work as hard as the average local grad and you can get first class. Honestly, I'm not sure what those idiots who dont get at least second lower/upper doing.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 02:10 AM

You really need to be more resourceful, poly dude.

School of Science & Technology

No one is putting down anyone. The Dean, who previously taught materials science in NTU, said that although the students may not be the brightest, they are very determined and yearned for a better life for the family. He then quoted the example of a hardworking student who, unfortunately, passed on after taking his exams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39503)
Back when i was in SP, i have a diploma with merit friend who couldnt go on to uni like us as she has to start working to support family. after a few years, she went on to do a part time degree in SIM.

dun stereotype SIM grads as a whole, go and know the individual before you pass judgement. there are some good SIM grads from my own experience.

and i highly doubt you are a lecturer. he/she wouldnt post such stuffs in a forum. dean of science and technology? come on, there are no such courses in SIM as far as i know.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 02:16 AM

Good.

Hardworking, humble and down to earth.

U will definitely be an asset to your company and give everyone else a run for their money.

I hope you succeed in life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39505)
Okay. I think the discussion kinda getting out of hand. Nobody intends to put down others. Its just that, some of the forumers here post ridiculously high starting salary like 7k that kind. Just to clarify, I'm an SIM grad as well. Its just that to me, a lot of prospective students will be doing their research and all to decide which school to go to. And if these people keep posting fake salaries then I'm just afraid students will be deluded and go to SIM because they think they can break into such industries. Its not impossible, but like maybe only top 1-2% of the SIM cohort?

The average SIM grad, no matter how you may want to look at it, will always earn less than the average local uni grad. This is an indisputable fact. Yes, there are high earners from SIM as well, but please, if you are one, you wont be here on this stupid forum in the first place. And those that get there are a very small amount.

I know that for me, I will have to work twice as hard and pick up other REAL, TECHNICAL skills to compete with local grads. Street smarts? Dont be stupid, everybody also got street smarts la, think you so special got first class honors in street smarts is it? joke.

Ask yourself, how did you end up in SIM? Most of us are here because we did badly. I can say around 90% of us are in this situation. I think there are two types of SIM grads/students. Those who did not do well and are realistic about it hence are trying to make up for it by pushing harder. And those who are delusional and this themselves on par with local grads who are smarter and know more things due to the fact that their workload is so much more compared to us.

As an SIM grad, I can honestly say that it is not difficult to get second upper. Work as hard as the average local grad and you can get first class. Honestly, I'm not sure what those idiots who dont get at least second lower/upper doing.