Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Banking Tech vs Consulting (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13758-banking-tech-vs-consulting.html)

megalomaniac 14-06-2021 01:59 PM

Banking Tech vs Consulting
 
Hi Everyone,

Seeking some help here as I'm evaluating come current offers and am in a bit of a dilemma.

Fresh grad here. I currently have an offer for a tech (SWE) position at a local bank, as well as a tier 2/3 strategy consulting firm. I know both happen to be very different roles, but I'm personally someone who is quite flexible in terms of the type of work I can do so I don't have a strong inclination on either.

I think the key question is this - which one will have more career capital in the long term? I know BO is not glamorous, but the technical experience could be a good springboard especially is a world that is digitalising. On the flipside, I'm concerned that tech in general is getting saturated and I'll just be another ordinary SWE. At the same time, if I enter consulting, I would not develop a specialised skillset, and while it is a somewhat glamorous industry now, I'm not sure about its future.

Anyone has inputs on this? Many thanks!

Unregistered 14-06-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalomaniac (Post 174092)
Hi Everyone,

Seeking some help here as I'm evaluating come current offers and am in a bit of a dilemma.

Fresh grad here. I currently have an offer for a tech (SWE) position at a local bank, as well as a tier 2/3 strategy consulting firm. I know both happen to be very different roles, but I'm personally someone who is quite flexible in terms of the type of work I can do so I don't have a strong inclination on either.

I think the key question is this - which one will have more career capital in the long term? I know BO is not glamorous, but the technical experience could be a good springboard especially is a world that is digitalising. On the flipside, I'm concerned that tech in general is getting saturated and I'll just be another ordinary SWE. At the same time, if I enter consulting, I would not develop a specialised skillset, and while it is a somewhat glamorous industry now, I'm not sure about its future.

Anyone has inputs on this? Many thanks!

What will you be doing in the consulting firm exactly? Implementation or actual strategy work?

megalomaniac 14-06-2021 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174093)
What will you be doing in the consulting firm exactly? Implementation or actual strategy work?

A mix of both actually.

Unregistered 14-06-2021 02:22 PM

Never heard of tier 3 consulting firms. If the offer is not from OW/Kearney/RB (tier 2 strats), youíre probably better off going into local bank BO. No idea whatís with Ďglamourí nowadays, BO in a bank will still enable you to live very decently.

Perhaps you can share the name of the consulting firm (or similar peers)?

Unregistered 14-06-2021 02:26 PM

If you are technical kinda person donít go consulting route. Tech consulting is not glamorous and you donít learn much in terms of technical skills. Just mainly stakeholder management and working on not so up to date technologies with IT illiterate clients

Unregistered 14-06-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174096)
If you are technical kinda person donít go consulting route. Tech consulting is not glamorous and you donít learn much in terms of technical skills. Just mainly stakeholder management and working on not so up to date technologies with IT illiterate clients

Accenture not glamorous?

Unregistered 14-06-2021 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174097)
Accenture not glamorous?

Accenture is not glamorous at all for ppl who are into tech. More for ppl who like to engage client, wayang and able to speak well but not necessarily have the technical aptitude to do the work.

megalomaniac 14-06-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174096)
If you are technical kinda person donít go consulting route. Tech consulting is not glamorous and you donít learn much in terms of technical skills. Just mainly stakeholder management and working on not so up to date technologies with IT illiterate clients

Just to be a bit more specific, I'm referring to strategy consulting. I have decent technical skills but not the best at it.

Unregistered 14-06-2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174095)
Never heard of tier 3 consulting firms. If the offer is not from OW/Kearney/RB (tier 2 strats), youíre probably better off going into local bank BO. No idea whatís with Ďglamourí nowadays, BO in a bank will still enable you to live very decently.

Perhaps you can share the name of the consulting firm (or similar peers)?

This.

10chars

megalomaniac 14-06-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174095)
Never heard of tier 3 consulting firms. If the offer is not from OW/Kearney/RB (tier 2 strats), youíre probably better off going into local bank BO. No idea whatís with Ďglamourí nowadays, BO in a bank will still enable you to live very decently.

Perhaps you can share the name of the consulting firm (or similar peers)?

I see. Don't want to mention the name of the firm directly, but similar peers would be RB, ADL, LEK, and Simon-Kucher.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2