Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1310-15-pay-cut-private-sector-teach-polytechnic.html)

Unregistered 19-02-2014 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48328)
strongly agreed with you. I would said close to 80% of the lecturers in polytechnic especially those in engineering cluster really cannot make it any more in the rapid pace industry. Most of them are in their late 30 to early 40s.

they would be happy with their 6k salary to get by the next 10-20 years
It happened in the oldest polytechnic....80% of the them are academic inclined with lousy industry/technical skills

Engineering only meh? Other schools also lar. Many business school lecturers are retrenched when the company downsize. Definitely better deal to teach in business school than to be a taxi driver.

Unregistered 22-02-2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48423)
Engineering only meh? Other schools also lar. Many business school lecturers are retrenched when the company downsize. Definitely better deal to teach in business school than to be a taxi driver.

it is not difficult to join the polytechnic if you have contact or recommendation
Heard there is a Deputy director who get into the oldest poly just because the director is his personal friend. This is what we call "guan xi"

Unregistered 24-02-2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48591)
it is not difficult to join the polytechnic if you have contact or recommendation
Heard there is a Deputy director who get into the oldest poly just because the director is his personal friend. This is what we call "guan xi"

That is not impossible. But this DD also should have some reasonably good CV that match the position, otherwise the D will be in trouble.

Unregistered 24-02-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48366)
Hi. Can anyone tell me what is the typical timeline between 1st and 2nd interview for the poly
In the east. It's been 4 weeks and I am still not called up for the second interview. Should I move on?

Heard that there is a hiring freeze at the poly now? Is it true?

The hr is highly incompetent, the most incompetent hr i've ever encountered. HR from other stat boards r far more efficient. U gotta prepare for a long wait. Not only that, the salary is pathetic, they keep emphasising passion, but passion alone can't give your family a comfortable life. My advice to u, if u have a better offer, go for it, don't wait for the poly unless u haf absolutely nothing on your table.

Unregistered 27-02-2014 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48366)
Hi. Can anyone tell me what is the typical timeline between 1st and 2nd interview for the poly
In the east. It's been 4 weeks and I am still not called up for the second interview. Should I move on?

Heard that there is a hiring freeze at the poly now? Is it true?

hiring freeze due to over population :)

Unregistered 03-03-2014 08:19 PM

My lecturer friend who is working in the poly that I was applying, told me that there is indeed a hiring freeze. Hope that hiring will open up again in the new financial year .

Unregistered 05-03-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48872)
My lecturer friend who is working in the poly that I was applying, told me that there is indeed a hiring freeze. Hope that hiring will open up again in the new financial year .

not true , the oldest polytechnic is hiring lecturer.

Unregistered 08-03-2014 05:51 PM

I am very confused about hiring freezes. Is it across all polys or all diplomas?

Unregistered 18-03-2014 09:37 PM

How much do you expect to get from this year PB? Can share what have you done in your KPIs to warrant such reward?

Unregistered 18-03-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 49491)
How much do you expect to get from this year PB? Can share what have you done in your KPIs to warrant such reward?

i am in pax6
about 16 months review.

what are different grades?
A = forget it.
B = Above average = How much can get?
C + = Average = How much can get ?
C = Average = How much can get ?
C -
D = no PB

what is PB and increment like?
what about promotions?