Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1310-15-pay-cut-private-sector-teach-polytechnic.html)

Unregistered 19-01-2014 03:04 PM

Salary range

Hi

Someone might haf asked earlier, but can I ask how much will a grad with 2nd upper n acca can get if he joins poly? Ten yr exp in banking

Unregistered 11-02-2014 06:33 PM

A certain poly in the east pays really bad, and the HR is highly incompetent. I wonder how they can attract good lecturers and keep them for the long term. No wonder I see so many lecturers complaining about salary here, now I understand. With that kinda salary, the poly can only attract 3 categories of lecturers, the "no where else to go", "slackers" or "loyal to a fault".

Unregistered 12-02-2014 05:08 PM

Anyone heard of possibility (hearsay) to bring back permanent employment after serving second contract?

Unregistered 14-02-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48210)
Anyone heard of possibility (hearsay) to bring back permanent employment after serving second contract?

I just got my tenure, after 2nd contract..

Unregistered 15-02-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48250)
I just got my tenure, after 2nd contract..

Tenure? Care to explain further how it works in poly?

Unregistered 15-02-2014 10:20 PM

what's the normal requirement to teach math in poly?

what are they looking for?

anyone knows?

Unregistered 16-02-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48174)
A certain poly in the east pays really bad, and the HR is highly incompetent. I wonder how they can attract good lecturers and keep them for the long term. No wonder I see so many lecturers complaining about salary here, now I understand. With that kinda salary, the poly can only attract 3 categories of lecturers, the "no where else to go", "slackers" or "loyal to a fault".

strongly agreed with you. I would said close to 80% of the lecturers in polytechnic especially those in engineering cluster really cannot make it any more in the rapid pace industry. Most of them are in their late 30 to early 40s.

they would be happy with their 6k salary to get by the next 10-20 years
It happened in the oldest polytechnic....80% of the them are academic inclined with lousy industry/technical skills

Unregistered 17-02-2014 12:23 AM

Its difficult for the local polytechnics to hire any good lecturers. A good lecturer would always pick the universities as the first choice, they are always hiring. And being a good lecturer, they usually get accepted. Leaving only the sub-par ones that do not meet university standards. Hence, the polytechnics are left with only these choices. But it is the polytechnics fault in the first place. They have to offer better salary and incentives than the universities here in order to attract the lecturers. Not to mention that its much easier to lecture in university. You don't have to teach tutorial classes, they have graduate student TAs for that. And students are expected to learn independently. There is much more work that has to be done on the polytechnic level. Not to mention there is also no 'recognition'. Work in NUS, world-class, internationally renowned, top 25 in the world. Or work in a polytechnic that is only known locally?

Unregistered 17-02-2014 11:17 AM

Teaching is only one of the KPIs for Poly lecturers. There are admin and other duties, which may take quite a bit of time. The Poly is not set up to attract the best lecturers although there are good ones in some schools from time to time. I left a teaching job at the Poly many years ago.

Unregistered 17-02-2014 06:09 PM

Hi. Can anyone tell me what is the typical timeline between 1st and 2nd interview for the poly
In the east. It's been 4 weeks and I am still not called up for the second interview. Should I move on?

Heard that there is a hiring freeze at the poly now? Is it true?