Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   University graduate working part-time? Help! (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1302-university-graduate-working-part-time-help.html)

curryrice 20-04-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11377)
I heard this... I heard that.... no facts to back up your claims.

Singaporeans need to shape up or remain unemployed. These FT are here because there are not enough Singaporeans that are competitive in the globalised economy. The Government doesn't owe you a good job because of your citizenship. They need productive people to keep the economy growing. Not a mass of whiners and complainers wanting free handouts.

If you are the minority, you can threaten to vote all you want. I think its a small group of whiners who are posting across all the forums. We will find out what Singaporeans really want in 3 weeks.

Always remember one thing. Yes, I'm just asking you for ONE thing.

The government is there for native Singaporeans' interest, not foreigners.

Get it?

k3vin 21-04-2011 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curryrice (Post 11441)
Always remember one thing. Yes, I'm just asking you for ONE thing.

The government is there for native Singaporeans' interest, not foreigners.

Get it?

Think bigger picture. Birth rates?

Besides I think TS's offer is an anomaly, most of my friends from ntu/smu/nus even those from sim are receiving offers much higher than these.

I subscribe to the notion that nobody owes you a living, the government yes, there for native Singaporeans' interest, but hey, they need to keep the economy grinding along too, with birth rates like these, they gotta import.

Unregistered 21-04-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3vin (Post 11474)
Think bigger picture. Birth rates?

Besides I think TS's offer is an anomaly, most of my friends from ntu/smu/nus even those from sim are receiving offers much higher than these.

I subscribe to the notion that nobody owes you a living, the government yes, there for native Singaporeans' interest, but hey, they need to keep the economy grinding along too, with birth rates like these, they gotta import.

The more they import the lower the birth rate goes.

Who created the "stop at 2" policy btw? Was that far sighted?

k3vin 21-04-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11480)
The more they import the lower the birth rate goes.

Who created the "stop at 2" policy btw? Was that far sighted?

Seriously now, you need different policies at different times. If something worked too well, then you probably need another policy to reverse it. No governments are perfect, I get the online sentiments behind the current government we got, but hey, lets see the opposition try to do better then.

I read their manifestos, yes they are all very good in identifying specific problems and yes they proposed some solutions, but these "solutions" really betray a lack of depth in understanding how economics work in Singapore.

Unregistered 21-04-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3vin (Post 11507)
Seriously now, you need different policies at different times. If something worked too well, then you probably need another policy to reverse it. No governments are perfect, I get the online sentiments behind the current government we got, but hey, lets see the opposition try to do better then.

you said no government is perfect. seriously, when they decided to up their salaries to be out of this world, i expect them to be totally perfect, to perform miracles, to resurrect dead people. seriously, they get the highest pay in the world - are they be delivering BEST results in the world?

k3vin 22-04-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11511)
you said no government is perfect. seriously, when they decided to up their salaries to be out of this world, i expect them to be totally perfect, to perform miracles, to resurrect dead people. seriously, they get the highest pay in the world - are they be delivering BEST results in the world?

I hate to use someone else's argument but hey, look around you, where are we? Southeast Asia. Singapore is considered an economic miracle in our circumstances so i would say that based on track record, they are doing the most with the resources that we have.

We'll see how the voting goes in a few weeks and I'll be interested to see what the opposition can do in place of the current government if they do get elected years down the road with a majority.

But seriously? I think they'll be the same after a while.

Unregistered 22-04-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3vin (Post 11517)
I hate to use someone else's argument but hey, look around you, where are we? Southeast Asia. Singapore is considered an economic miracle in our circumstances so i would say that based on track record, they are doing the most with the resources that we have.

We'll see how the voting goes in a few weeks and I'll be interested to see what the opposition can do in place of the current government if they do get elected years down the road with a majority.

But seriously? I think they'll be the same after a while.

HK, Taiwan, South Korea are all economic miracles. It's not only Singapore. The PAP had it too easy with the controlled media and iron fist rule.

k3vin 22-04-2011 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11518)
HK, Taiwan, South Korea are all economic miracles. It's not only Singapore. The PAP had it too easy with the controlled media and iron fist rule.

Sigh, lets not camp on someone else's thread shall we? You are not gonna change my opinion and I am not gonna change yours.

Lets see in 3 weeks. :)

Unregistered 22-04-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3vin (Post 11519)
Sigh, lets not camp on someone else's thread shall we? You are not gonna change my opinion and I am not gonna change yours.

Lets see in 3 weeks. :)

No need to see in 3 weeks. 5 years ago, we already saw 33% voting against them even with the help of a biased sycophant media and with jokers like SDP in the opposition (SDP is a bit better now). People were unhappy then. More people are unhappy now.

We don't have to agree. I bet you benefited much cos you are already rich or you depend on foreign labour to boost your business. Many other people, I suspect the majority, did not benefit or even suffered. It's now a matter of whether they know it (remeber our media is biased) and are willing to take action.