Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Starting Pay for CS/Ministries 2020 Covid Batch (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12599-starting-pay-cs-ministries-2020-covid-batch.html)

Unregistered 06-06-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136948)
Nope, disagree. I've witnessed cases where employees are fired or asked to leave due to performance. Although most of the times they voluntarily leave first before being forced to leave.

Yes, I have seen someone terminated after 1 year on the job over performance issues.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 03:30 PM

Can't do the job. Want that $.
Either leave or get fired.

This is how the world works.
Why Singaporean snowflakes think it is otherwise.

No wonder ppl have the delusion that civil servant are rice bowl job.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136947)
This is for the past when a HDB flat cost $30k and a landed cost $150k. Back then many teachers and civil servants bought small landed houses, usually terraces. A young civil servant joining today would have done extremely well for himself if he managed to buy a condo. Most buy HDB flats I believe.

A sub-entry level car like a perodua bezza or mutsubishi attrage is probably possible too but not very comfortably.

Young meaning 30+? Alot of my more senior civil service colleagues (age 40+) live in a condo.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 07:34 PM

what's the starting pay for scholars? is it affected? hopefully still can get >5k

Unregistered 06-06-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 136995)
Yes, I have seen someone terminated after 1 year on the job over performance issues.

Must've been very serious as even lackluster performance will net you a C grade.

Unregistered 06-06-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137009)
Young meaning 30+? Alot of my more senior civil service colleagues (age 40+) live in a condo.

20plus and early 30s. Those who joined in the last few yrs fresh out of uni or relatively early in their career, to a generic MX scheme with a degree as a farmer.

Those in their 40s now had different opportunities. Just for example, $1-1.3mil would have gotten them a freehold condo in Marine Parade 10 yrs ago. Now you would have to pay $2-4mil for the same.

MCIsadboy 06-06-2020 09:04 PM

MCI $3.2K fresh grad

(Sorry, hope it's okay to repost across threads. Please let me know if it's not!)

I'm an NUS FCH graduate that recently started work in February at MCI with a gross monthly salary of $3.2K. I know that the 75th percentile has a median salary of $3.9K in my course. I accepted the job because I thought COVID affected the job market and I should just snatch whatever I get, since I'm a really risk-averse guy.

Can someone please advise on whether I should make the attempt to jump ship now? I was going to stick it out for 1 year and then leave, but a person I know in MSF who works as an AD says there's no need to wait, I should jump ship now. I enjoy what I do and I really am grateful for this job, but I'm scared the longer I wait, the more my career will be affected.

Would really, really appreciate any advice. Should I at least attempt to interview at other ministries? I don't know whether jumping ship in just 3-4 months is a really bad look that will also haunt me wherever I go, but I also do need the pay as I'm supporting not just my family but my grandparents.

Thanks!

Unregistered 06-06-2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCIsadboy (Post 137085)
(Sorry, hope it's okay to repost across threads. Please let me know if it's not!)

I'm an NUS FCH graduate that recently started work in February at MCI with a gross monthly salary of $3.2K. I know that the 75th percentile has a median salary of $3.9K in my course. I accepted the job because I thought COVID affected the job market and I should just snatch whatever I get, since I'm a really risk-averse guy.

Can someone please advise on whether I should make the attempt to jump ship now? I was going to stick it out for 1 year and then leave, but a person I know in MSF who works as an AD says there's no need to wait, I should jump ship now. I enjoy what I do and I really am grateful for this job, but I'm scared the longer I wait, the more my career will be affected.

Would really, really appreciate any advice. Should I at least attempt to interview at other ministries? I don't know whether jumping ship in just 3-4 months is a really bad look that will also haunt me wherever I go, but I also do need the pay as I'm supporting not just my family but my grandparents.

Thanks!

Do u even have a job offer to jump? If you do then just jump

Unregistered 06-06-2020 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCIsadboy (Post 137085)

Thanks!

I dont get the bit on the longer you wait, the more your career will be affected?

Unregistered 07-06-2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137104)
I dont get the bit on the longer you wait, the more your career will be affected?

he means the opportunity cost