Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Service Performance Bonus (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1235-civil-service-performance-bonus.html)

Unregistered 15-03-2024 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270886)
Seems lower. Last year MX11A, C was 2.2 months

If you are on the MXS, C last year for MX11A was 2 mths so no change. I think they cut C+ though

Unregistered 15-03-2024 10:03 PM

Anyone did not receive pb result in the Workpal?

Unregistered 15-03-2024 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270911)

Me, but I joined last year sep, maybe that's why

Unregistered 15-03-2024 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270911)

It's out tomorrow 8pm right? Not today.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270933)
It's out tomorrow 8pm right? Not today.

Out tonight 8pm. You may check your HRP/workpal.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270885)
Same. Seems to be lower this year? Not sure?

Last year, C+ was 2.5 mths for MX11A folks

Unregistered 15-03-2024 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270934)
Out tonight 8pm. You may check your HRP/workpal.

Perhaps it varies between organizations, as we were told 16 March 8pm, and sure enough, it's not Out yet.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 10:57 PM

Not out for me yet hmm. From a ministry.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 11:23 PM

yes staggered so that system doesnt crash

Chin 15-03-2024 11:24 PM

I am at MXO 13 (I). I got C in 2021, B in 2022 and C+ in 2023. What is my chances of promotion? Disappointed. My boss said I am a good performer and yet only C+.

Unregistered 15-03-2024 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chin (Post 270956)
I am at MXO 13 (I). I got C in 2021, B in 2022 and C+ in 2023. What is my chances of promotion? Disappointed. My boss said I am a good performer and yet only C+.

you need to look at your peers in the same grade. look at the one who is the best and therr you have your benchmark

Unregistered 16-03-2024 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270958)
you need to look at your peers in the same grade. look at the one who is the best and therr you have your benchmark

This spew is actually very hard to swallow these days. I've seen people whom had worked and OT-ed night and day for their work on top or stuff outside their scope still get C.

This while some other scholar getting a B, with the difference being the visibility of the portfolio being given.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 12:28 AM

Quote:

Respectfully, your boss has to say everyone who gets C is a "good performer". That is the definition of C grade being that it is "good".

If you don't call it good, then people are just going to leave in droves. But to answer your question, if you are not a scholar, chances are you will be one of the last at the end of the queue.

If there is slot for you, then maybe you will get it after putting all the hardwork.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 01:39 AM

Quote:

Kinda in a similar situation here. My boss said every grade got quota. Bc I didn't show case my work or present to snr mgmt during the yr, I got a C. I suay cos my work not very visible. Plus I;m the quiet type. He said I need to speak up more...

On the other hand, the most talkative one in the team got promoted

Chin 16-03-2024 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270970)
Kinda in a similar situation here. My boss said every grade got quota. Bc I didn't show case my work or present to snr mgmt during the yr, I got a C. I suay cos my work not very visible. Plus I;m the quiet type. He said I need to speak up more...

On the other hand, the most talkative one in the team got promoted

I know must compare with same peers and see where I rank; but when I compare with them, I am doing the higher level job (i.e. one grade above my level; my boss assigned work that my RO did in the past). So I agree that the talkative ones and the ones with connection with bosses are ranked higher. They do less work, no OT, boss assigns the visible jobs (the type that will get the promotion) to them (but they push these jobs to others).

Unregistered 16-03-2024 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chin (Post 270983)
I know must compare with same peers and see where I rank; but when I compare with them, I am doing the higher level job (i.e. one grade above my level; my boss assigned work that my RO did in the past). So I agree that the talkative ones and the ones with connection with bosses are ranked higher. They do less work, no OT, boss assigns the visible jobs (the type that will get the promotion) to them (but they push these jobs to others).

Agree. Same situation here. For me, my boss tends to want to push up all the submissions and papers I did (on the pretext that time is short and she would rather write the cover note to senior management). This has happened several times over the past 3 years. I feel like I should be flagging it to my Dir. Thoughts?

Unregistered 16-03-2024 08:58 AM

I joined public service mid career as MX12 on contract, an estab for an MX12. Later on i was emplaced and began taking up more roles and expanded portfolio.

2020 - C [contract]
2021 - C (emplaced)
2022 - B
2023 - B

My bosses pushed for my promotion but i didnt get it. They are pushing for it again this year.

I have 12 years of experience, of which 4 years in public service (ia am into my 5th year)

Need some opinion on my career track. My peers are already at MX11, as they joined public service way earlier than me. And though I am at MX12, I am drawing a salary higher than some MX11 officers.

Just wanted some opinion. Am I considered slow in progression?

Unregistered 16-03-2024 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270995)
I joined public service mid career as MX12 on contract, an estab for an MX12. Later on i was emplaced and began taking up more roles and expanded portfolio.

2020 - C [contract]
2021 - C (emplaced)
2022 - B
2023 - B

My bosses pushed for my promotion but i didnt get it. They are pushing for it again this year.

I have 12 years of experience, of which 4 years in public service (ia am into my 5th year)

Need some opinion on my career track. My peers are already at MX11, as they joined public service way earlier than me. And though I am at MX12, I am drawing a salary higher than some MX11 officers.

I was kind of in the same shoes as you, joining civil service with 8 YOE. But that said, I joined as an 11 - am wondering why you joined as a 12?

Unregistered 16-03-2024 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chin (Post 270983)
I know must compare with same peers and see where I rank; but when I compare with them, I am doing the higher level job (i.e. one grade above my level; my boss assigned work that my RO did in the past). So I agree that the talkative ones and the ones with connections with bosses are ranked higher. They do less work, no OT, boss assigns the visible jobs (the type that will get the promotion) to them (but they push these jobs to others).

Yes, I agree that it is really funny that the public service gave higher scores to people who do ECA/CCA or have more connections to the higher up which gave them an assumption that they did their primary job very well. Maybe they just want wayang people la. I have experienced myself a few times and I start to wonder if my boss grades me only or includes bosses who don't know me. One day, everyone should just hang dry their primary job and do CCAs, to see how these agencies survive.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 09:37 AM

Quote:

2020 - C [contract]
2021 - C (emplaced)
2022 - B
2023 - B

If you as an MX12 are occupying a job role that is pegged at MX12, your bosses have to convince HR/management to redesignate that role at a higher level based on the expanded portfolio first before they can promote you. It's going to take more time/effort.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271003)
If you as an MX12 are occupying a job role that is pegged at MX12, your bosses have to convince HR/management to redesignate that role at a higher level based on the expanded portfolio first before they can promote you. It's going to take more time/effort.

I am very sure I am on an MX11 or even MX11A estab. I was emplaced under an MX11 vacancy

Unregistered 16-03-2024 10:02 AM

What was the quantum for a B grade at MX12?
2? 2.5?

Quote:

2020 - C [contract]
2021 - C (emplaced)
2022 - B
2023 - B

Unregistered 16-03-2024 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271006)
I am very sure I am on an MX11 or even MX11A estab. I was emplaced under an MX11 vacancy

I heard promotion criteria has changed alot these days. Used to be 2 continuous Bs but now it's changed to 5-7 years of good grades for non-scholars or farmers as the system is too top heavy. I'm an Mx 12 near the ceiling. C(first join) and 4 x Bs the past 5 years.

My boss told me I'm finally nearing the front of the promotion Q and will need to rotate and prove myself more lol. So take it easy.

Chin 16-03-2024 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270987)
Agree. Same situation here. For me, my boss tends to want to push up all the submissions and papers I did (on the pretext that time is short and she would rather write the cover note to senior management). This has happened several times over the past 3 years. I feel like I should be flagging it to my Dir. Thoughts?

You need to be careful and see if there is a connection between the boss and Dir. If there is no point, no point bring it up. Does your name appear on the paper? Or hers as well? I would suggest, write in your work review 'nicely' that you are the sole person writing the paper. Indicate in the rating as exceeding and use this as an example since you are doing your boss's work.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270998)
I was kind of in the same shoes as you, joining civil service with 8 YOE. But that said, I joined as an 11 - am wondering why you joined as a 12?

That time i wasn't too fixated with the MX grade. I applied for the role which i wanted to do and i got it.

Later on, i learnt that it was an MX12 estab, but I wasnt too concerned because i was focused on getting emplaced. So i told my bosses, yes i maybe hired for this role, but if you need help in other areas, just throw to me.

I got emplaced 2 yrs later when an MX11 officer resigned. That's when my boss told me, your current portfolio is light, we need to load you with more things. I said i'm opened, just throw it to me.

Fast forward to today, am i disadvantaged when i signed at a lower MX grade? Though back then, my yhinking was to get into CS then slowly work up

Unregistered 16-03-2024 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271013)
That time i wasn't too fixated with the MX grade. I applied for the role which i wanted to do and i got it.

Later on, i learnt that it was an MX12 estab, but I wasnt too concerned because i was focused on getting emplaced. So i told my bosses, yes i maybe hired for this role, but if you need help in other areas, just throw to me.

I got emplaced 2 yrs later when an MX11 officer resigned. That's when my boss told me, your current portfolio is light, we need to load you with more things. I said i'm opened, just throw it to me.

Fast forward to today, am i disadvantaged when i signed at a lower MX grade? Though back then, my yhinking was to get into CS then slowly work up

dont worry, your thinking wasnt wrong at that point in time. we all have different goals at different stages.

there are probably other factors at play? vacancies available? qualifications? whether your boss fights for your performance grade/promotion?

that said, getting emplaced these days is already quite hard so u should pat yourself on the back...dont think too much

Unregistered 16-03-2024 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271009)
I heard promotion criteria has changed alot these days. Used to be 2 continuous Bs but now it's changed to 5-7 years of good grades for non-scholars or farmers as the system is too top heavy. I'm an Mx 12 near the ceiling. C(first join) and 4 x Bs the past 5 years.

My boss told me I'm finally nearing the front of the promotion Q and will need to rotate and prove myself more lol. So take it easy.

I am also in a similar situation as you. C+ (first join) and subsequently all Bs. Just past my 7th year, and also nearing my ceiling (am in another scheme but if mapped accordingly it would be MX12). Let’s hope we both hear good news this year!

Unregistered 16-03-2024 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271014)
dont worry, your thinking wasnt wrong at that point in time. we all have different goals at different stages.

there are probably other factors at play? vacancies available? qualifications? whether your boss fights for your performance grade/promotion?

that said, getting emplaced these days is already quite hard so u should pat yourself on the back...dont think too much

Actually if there’s a vacancy, emplacement should not be that difficult. For instance, I’m supposed to be on a 2 year contract before emplacement is on the cards, but I got emplaced at the 1.5 year mark. I got a C+.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271002)
Yes, I agree that it is really funny that the public service gave higher scores to people who do ECA/CCA or have more connections to the higher up which gave them an assumption that they did their primary job very well. Maybe they just want wayang people la. I have experienced myself a few times and I start to wonder if my boss grades me only or includes bosses who don't know me. One day, everyone should just hang dry their primary job and do CCAs, to see how these agencies survive.

My ex-director after he retired told us that during ranking season, there are bosses that want to promote someone because it is "their time" and jump ahead of the queue.

They tried to protest because difficult to justify, but was shut down. There is also a boss favourite / loyalty component.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271009)

I will be drawing the max salary under MX12 after MI this year

My bosses also said i am one of the top performers in this grade and they will look for ways to push me up, while i need to be focused on maintaining my performance.

Guess we are in the same shoes.

But seriously, if i am the top performer, yet MI doesnt apply anymore as i have hit the ceiling, then what sort of signal is public service sending?

Unregistered 16-03-2024 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271008)
What was the quantum for a B grade at MX12?
2? 2.5?

Actually, i dont really care about the quantum, as long as it is paid better than a C.

The quantum is all pre-determined anyway, and i have no control over it.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271069)
I will be drawing the max salary under MX12 after MI this year

My bosses also said i am one of the top performers in this grade and they will look for ways to push me up, while i need to be focused on maintaining my performance.

Guess we are in the same shoes.

But seriously, if i am the top performer, yet MI doesnt apply anymore as i have hit the ceiling, then what sort of signal is public service sending?

It's called squeezing workers for more value. The past posters already said the promotion criteria has changed. Headcount is being reduced.

From a top-level boss if you had to shrink your workforce, you simply squeeze out as much value out of everyone in the chain until you hit the workforce size that you want. It forces people who don't want to be exploited to leave and those who don't have a choice to stay.

Those that stay have to do more work and thus provide more value to the civil service. My senior management got posed this question about whether they are concerned about burnout. They said no. Simply because this is going according to plan.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 05:18 PM

I have seen those under the teaching scheme getting promotion within three years e.g.. 2021 - promoted, and later in 2023 promoted. But the MXO scheme, we have to wait for many years to be promoted. The least, they could do is give better grade like B to motivate us. I am questing why I am taking higher job responsibilities, extra committee work, and OT without pay just for a C+?

Unregistered 16-03-2024 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271006)

sharing my own career trajectory. after graduation, i joined the private sector for around two years before entering public service. in my 4th year as a public employee now, with grading C, B, B+ and B+ for this year. am 32 this year, got an within-grade promotion last yr and across grade promotion this yr (now at MX11). currently also doing part time masters with sponsorship from my agency.

i think other than having good RO and CO who pushes for you, being open to new opportunities/work projects and offering to help in extra CCAs does help your bosses to fight for your promotion and better grading. i think public service also encourage career development, if possible can also look at the various scholarship or sponsorship available to upskill.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271081)
I have seen those under the teaching scheme getting promotion within three years e.g.. 2021 - promoted, and later in 2023 promoted. But the MXO scheme, we have to wait for many years to be promoted. The least, they could do is give better grade like B to motivate us. I am questing why I am taking higher job responsibilities, extra committee work, and OT without pay just for a C+?

Just want to say this is not true, and that even in teaching service we are experiencing major slow downs. You probably hearing about the scholars, who are faster tracked everywhere.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 05:48 PM

Quote:

getting promoted within 3 years for teaching scheme??? lol dude hop over to the teachers thread and u will see many stuck at geo3 for 7 to 8 years. same for those at geo4

Unregistered 16-03-2024 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271082)
sharing my own career trajectory. after graduation, i joined the private sector for around two years before entering public service. in my 4th year as a public employee now, with grading C, B, B+ and B+ for this year. am 32 this year, got an within-grade promotion last yr and across grade promotion this yr (now at MX11). currently also doing part time masters with sponsorship from my agency.

i think other than having good RO and CO who pushes for you, being open to new opportunities/work projects and offering to help in extra CCAs does help your bosses to fight for your promotion and better grading. i think public service also encourage career development, if possible can also look at the various scholarship or sponsorship available to upskill.

What is a 'within grade promotion' and 'across grade promotion'm

Unregistered 16-03-2024 06:09 PM

Quote:

The last sentence is so relatable. By the way, is working late and on multiple projects now inevitable in civil service? It feels like so.

Unregistered 16-03-2024 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271082)

In short be Sai gang warrior and be a yes man

Unregistered 16-03-2024 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271086)
Just want to say this is not true, and that even in teaching service we are experiencing major slow downs. You probably hearing about the scholars, who are faster tracked everywhere.

Let's get real, how many scholars are there? Maybe 1 in 50 officers? 1 in 3 people get a B. So if you didn't get a B, look to your left and right - one of them got the B.