Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Shopee fresh grad pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11930-shopee-fresh-grad-pay.html)

Unregistered 19-09-2022 03:25 PM

E-COMMERCE platform Shopee is axing more employees as its parent company Sea strains under the pressure to turn profitable amid volatile market conditions.
Singapore-based staff were informed by management on Monday (Sep 19) morning that further cuts will be made to teams, including human resources, regional operations, marketing, and product and engineering, sources told The Business Times (BT).
The announcement was made in department-wide town halls, which were impromptu and quick, one source said.
Some employees, including those in Singapore and China, began receiving email notices of their layoffs shortly after the announcement, sources said. Staff in Indonesia have been retrenched as well, according to local media.
It is unclear how many employees and markets will be affected. A Shopee spokesperson told BT: “These changes are part of our ongoing efforts to optimise operating efficiency with the goal of achieving self-sufficiency across our business. We are extending support to our affected colleagues during this transition.”
Shopee’s parent company, Sea, has taken massive cost-cutting steps in recent months as it battles increasingly uncertain macroeconomic conditions that roiled tech markets and shaved about US$170 billion from the company’s market value since its October high.
Sea, one of the most active recruiters of tech talent, earlier rescinded dozens of job offers after suffering widening losses and slower revenue growth, according to a Reuters report.
Shopee is also set to shut local operations in a few international markets, while gaming unit Garena, often regarded as the company’s cash cow, will reportedly cut hundreds of staff in Shanghai.
Chief executive and founder Forrest Li and his management team are forgoing salaries until the group reaches self-sufficiency.
Li, in a company-wide memo last Thursday seen by BT, said achieving positive cashflow was the group’s top priority for the next 12 to 18 months.
“Right now, thanks to years of prudent action and hard work, we have a solid cash base that puts us in a safer position than many of our counterparts in the tech sector,” Li said in the memo, which was first reported by Bloomberg.
“However, we can easily run through this cash base if we are not careful, and with investors fleeing for ‘safe haven’ investments, we do not anticipate being able to raise funds in the market.”
Additional reporting by Wong Pei Ting

Unregistered 19-09-2022 03:36 PM

See liao sibei song la all this FAANG wannabes kena retrench 😂

Unregistered 19-09-2022 03:55 PM

What is work

Anyone laid off?
Can go home and relax.
So good no need to work.
Can enjoy life.

12yoe 19-09-2022 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 230382)
I agree with the others, if you're a CMI dev, you won't make it in Shopee and high chance you get cut. 10 of my uni friends are still in Shopee since 2020, they're quite lucky.

Earning around 8k / monthly as SWE now. Their starting was around 6+ so not bad, farmed 6-8k for 2 years. Also they can easily hop to any mid-tier tech company with a 10% pay-cut so not much problem tbh.

The junior roles are the most dangerous, mid level and senior dev roles are still ok and stable.

Personally I wouldn't work at shopee. My friends showed me their codebase and it's a bunch of spaghetti ********. Their architecture documents are mostly in Chinese also, what a joke.

If you want to earn easy money and possibly risk the chances of you learning nothing useful that can help you job hop then go ahead. Crypto monkey devs are also useless af and can't even apply for any FE / BE roles due to irrelevance.

i worked 9 years as SWE / tech lead before my salary became 8k.

Unregistered 19-09-2022 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12yoe (Post 230668)
i worked 9 years as SWE / tech lead before my salary became 8k.

You got scammed hard. Now all these kids earning 5-6k with 0 YOE already.

My team got this fresh uni kid from NUS comp science, he getting 6.2k when he can't even use github understand basic CICD pipeline...

How the fk... Meanwhile I worked 4 years I'm still at 7.8k

This tech market is a fking joke. Can't job hop either since companies wanna waste my time with their trash LeetCode garbage that's never used at work.

Unregistered 19-09-2022 06:21 PM

Who were the ones looking down on micron?

Unregistered 19-09-2022 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 230040)
simi lj what talking u

not singapore right? big banks also close market in all these ulu third world trash countries, does that mean those big banks also dying?

sibei kumgong, no wonder u still here salty crying

Eh shopee dog where you? Collect letter alr?

Unregistered 19-09-2022 06:33 PM

I got recently laid off, can I demand 2 months salary per year of service by virtue of being a highly talented and sought after SWE?

Unregistered 19-09-2022 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 230676)
You got scammed hard. Now all these kids earning 5-6k with 0 YOE already.

My team got this fresh uni kid from NUS comp science, he getting 6.2k when he can't even use github understand basic CICD pipeline...

How the fk... Meanwhile I worked 4 years I'm still at 7.8k

This tech market is a fking joke. Can't job hop either since companies wanna waste my time with their trash LeetCode garbage that's never used at work.

Happens everywhere la. You might as well say 2006 investment bankers earning $100K per annum as fresh grad. After 2008 nobody can find IB jobs,

Is luck one. A lot of things out of your control. Just do what u can to remain competitive.

Unregistered 19-09-2022 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 230683)
Happens everywhere la. You might as well say 2006 investment bankers earning $100K per annum as fresh grad. After 2008 nobody can find IB jobs,

Is luck one. A lot of things out of your control. Just do what u can to remain competitive.

Yea I guess so...

Just a bit salty, some of these fresh grads are CMI dumbasses yet can get 8-9k at shopee? makes 0 sense to me. wtf do they actually do at shopee? app is still so trash, website so trash.