Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   High Finance Thread (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11831-high-finance-thread.html)

Unregistered 19-01-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195528)
Don't know what you guys talking about. DB sales and trading still paying top tier salary.....

DB sales and trading is the lowest paying among the BBs sales and trading... everyone bumped but DB

Unregistered 21-01-2022 11:40 PM

I've been working as an architectural designer since graduation from NUS to finish my scholarship bonds. I am very interested in changing to the financial industry, I have been studying CFA at my own time (haven't take the exam) and planning to take a one year Msc in Applied Finance at SMU to facilitate my shift.

I do not have finance professional or academic background prior. What are the chances of me landing a decent job after getting the MAF at SMU? Ideally, it would be a FO/analyst job at an IB but it likely too much to hope for.

I've just turned 30 and drawing low 4k at my current job. Or it's completely fat hope/not worth it for a shift. I wouldn't want to end up spending 50k on a Master that then lands a job that pay lower than what i have now.

Can someone in the industry share some advice on this? Appreciated

Unregistered 22-01-2022 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198786)
I am very interested in changing to the financial industry

Anything in financial industry or a specific role? You need to know the exact roles you want to target, then you can weigh the probability and trade off. Especially since it may take some detour and there is a good probability the master does not reap its benefits.

Changing an industry is never going to be easy, and it gets tougher as you aged. If you are talking about MA programmes which hired Masters students, maybe that could work since it hired more generically. If you are talking about investment banking or markets type of work, you will probably need to aim for smaller firms and intern quite aggressively. Even then, not sure how easy it is to get the internships.

I am in AM and have been involved in interviewing ppl in last 2-3 years. If there is an open position for someone new to the industry, I will find it hard to choose an early 30s mid career switch resume for interview. I will worry about factors like: sufficient basic finance related knowledge, level of motivation, ability to reset thinking approach

Unregistered 22-01-2022 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198786)
I've been working as an architectural designer since graduation from NUS to finish my scholarship bonds. I am very interested in changing to the financial industry, I have been studying CFA at my own time (haven't take the exam) and planning to take a one year Msc in Applied Finance at SMU to facilitate my shift.

I do not have finance professional or academic background prior. What are the chances of me landing a decent job after getting the MAF at SMU? Ideally, it would be a FO/analyst job at an IB but it likely too much to hope for.

I've just turned 30 and drawing low 4k at my current job. Or it's completely fat hope/not worth it for a shift. I wouldn't want to end up spending 50k on a Master that then lands a job that pay lower than what i have now.

Can someone in the industry share some advice on this? Appreciated

Poster 444 is correct to say that you must be prepared to work for smaller firms given your lack of experience and age works against you. I must say front office position is out as outlined above. However, you can still expect to enjoy a much higher payout from current salary after your post graduation given your interest and provided you must prepare to intern in a smaller outfit even while you aim to enter the MO function in a top financial firm. I must add that the latter is not given even if you can graduate with flying colours due to still competition. These are the realities you must consider.

Unregistered 23-01-2022 01:14 PM

Middle or back office considered high finance or not?

Unregistered 23-01-2022 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 199019)

Obviously not

Unregistered 23-01-2022 02:08 PM

Quote:

haha ok. tks for asking . but haha now

Unregistered 24-01-2022 10:37 AM

All numbers in SGD

Think most top PE starting 9-10k base for analyst but analyst hires are rare as they typically take 2yoe analysts from IB as associates instead of fresh grads as analysts. Heard regional ones pay closer to 5-7k

PE asso typically from 12-18k base, lower than IB asso, but PE typically have a 6-18 month bonus (i.e. 18-30mth annual package) instead of IB which is 4-8 mth bonus for some banks and 9-15 mths for others.

At good to top funds annual you can expect 220-500k as an assoc (2-5 yoe) and maybe 150-250k as an analyst (0-2 yoe)

Don't think you will see carry until VP/Principal+

SWFs match in base / bonus but you will lose out long term in carry, but more career security

PE your deals can't suck, else out you / your team goes

you can check mycareersfuture for base salary listings.

Unregistered 24-01-2022 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 199251)
All numbers in SGD

Think most top PE starting 9-10k base for analyst but analyst hires are rare as they typically take 2yoe analysts from IB as associates instead of fresh grads as analysts. Heard regional ones pay closer to 5-7k

PE asso typically from 12-18k base, lower than IB asso, but PE typically have a 6-18 month bonus (i.e. 18-30mth annual package) instead of IB which is 4-8 mth bonus for some banks and 9-15 mths for others.

At good to top funds annual you can expect 220-500k as an assoc (2-5 yoe) and maybe 150-250k as an analyst (0-2 yoe)

Don't think you will see carry until VP/Principal+

SWFs match in base / bonus but you will lose out long term in carry, but more career security

PE your deals can't suck, else out you / your team goes

you can check mycareersfuture for base salary listings.

This is quite an accurate summary

Unregistered 25-01-2022 12:08 AM

Quote:

so BO MO in goldman jpm or FO in boutique more satki?