Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Engineer Pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/10542-engineer-pay.html)

Jasper 25-10-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187833)
4k for diploma damn good already bro, nice achievement. now most uni fresh grad also wont even hit 4k. generally start around 3.3k.

Hmm.. But I work 11year In that industry.
Not fresh grad.
Thanks for the encouragement ����
Haha.

Jasper 25-10-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187858)
But he already have 11 year exp bro.. so $4k does look reasonable for 11 years exp with Diploma.

Ya lo. 11 years now.
But got stuck due to covid after get diploma.
If got a 200, 300 increasement I happy already. 😂😂

Unregistered 25-10-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper (Post 187865)
Hmm.. But I work 11year In that industry.
Not fresh grad.
Thanks for the encouragement ����
Haha.

I started off with only 2.1K in a GLC after ORD and stayed for 2 years. Performed well and was promoted to another grade within the asst engineer level while another colleague who got a degree moved up to E5. He's a nice guy and we are still good friends even until today. He advised that the reason why he was promoted faster even he wasn't doing much work and acknowledged my stronger competence was because he has a degree regardless of its relevance. I was almost going to take a degree when someone from an MNC contacted me and asked me if I was interested in an Engineer's position. Went for 3 rounds of interview and got in. Fast forward, 12 years down the road, I changed employer once, I draw more than 6K basic excluding bonus as a staff engineer. Don't have a degree but I took several professional certificates along the way like six sigma green belt, ASQ and several ISO certification, spear headed the set up of a department of the same function in India and Poland. These 2 dept located overseas report to me now.

I can only say, you need opportunities and be ready to grab them. I survived 2 retrenchments (Lehmans and Covid) by making myself more competitive and less dispensable and build your connections with the right people. Take initiative because the world won't cater to your competence. Must deliver results and know how to present your results to the right people to gain exposure. The competition globally is very tough so result delivery is critical.

I wish you the best.

Jasper 28-10-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187944)
I started off with only 2.1K in a GLC after ORD and stayed for 2 years. Performed well and was promoted to another grade within the asst engineer level while another colleague who got a degree moved up to E5. He's a nice guy and we are still good friends even until today. He advised that the reason why he was promoted faster even he wasn't doing much work and acknowledged my stronger competence was because he has a degree regardless of its relevance. I was almost going to take a degree when someone from an MNC contacted me and asked me if I was interested in an Engineer's position. Went for 3 rounds of interview and got in. Fast forward, 12 years down the road, I changed employer once, I draw more than 6K basic excluding bonus as a staff engineer. Don't have a degree but I took several professional certificates along the way like six sigma green belt, ASQ and several ISO certification, spear headed the set up of a department of the same function in India and Poland. These 2 dept located overseas report to me now.

I can only say, you need opportunities and be ready to grab them. I survived 2 retrenchments (Lehmans and Covid) by making myself more competitive and less dispensable and build your connections with the right people. Take initiative because the world won't cater to your competence. Must deliver results and know how to present your results to the right people to gain exposure. The competition globally is very tough so result delivery is critical.

I wish you the best.

Thanks for the encouragement bro.
11 years ago. My starting 1450 only. 😅😅
I understand. Although we not degree holder. But we don't stop there. Will still strive as much as we can.
All the best to u too!! 😁😁

Unregistered 28-10-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187944)

I wish you the best.

Stopped reading at 6K after 12 years

Unregistered 28-10-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper (Post 188249)
Thanks for the encouragement bro.
11 years ago. My starting 1450 only. 😅😅
I understand. Although we not degree holder. But we don't stop there. Will still strive as much as we can.
All the best to u too!! 😁😁

The problem is not with the degree. My teammate has a Masters and another has a Phd. We are all the same level due to the same amount of experience, saw their pay accidentally and found my pay higher than the phd holder but lower than the masters. My boss only has a bachelor but he has designs that helped us get patents before. Focus on value creation, some think you are already there with a degree. But it doesn't work that way.

Unregistered 28-10-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188258)
Stopped reading at 6K after 12 years

Did you check the official wage statistics before making that comment? :D

Unregistered 28-10-2021 12:32 PM

principal electrical engineer @ sg microsoft can earn how much salary??

Unregistered 28-10-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188277)
principal electrical engineer @ sg microsoft can earn how much salary??

Median wage 81K/year
Top 22% income bracket of tax paying residents in singapore.
Assuming 1 month bonus means 81k/13 about 6.2k per month

Unregistered 28-10-2021 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188261)
Did you check the official wage statistics before making that comment? :D

Hitting slightly higher than the average income after 12 years is nothing to shout about lmao

I'm already at 6K after 2 YOE and it's pathetic, cannot even buy lowest end car or condo without overstretching.