Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Engineer Pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/10542-engineer-pay.html)

psikyo 08-04-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164203)
I am a diploma assistant engineer.
Earning 3.9k now.

I guess it ultimately boils down to one's performance, co-workers and manager's appraisal.

If I may, which company are you in?

Unregistered 08-04-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164390)
Any process engineers here? What’s the starting salary for someone who graduated in 2020 from a local uni?

What are the career prospects of a process engineer? What is the salary/career path that I can look forward to?

Hi, 5 years chemical engineer here.

Starting salary should be around 4k +/-. It can vary quite a bit depending which company. You can expect 3.5 - 4.5k range. US MNCs generally pay better.

Prospect also varies company to company. Ask during your interview to get better idea and then decide!

It can be as dead and straight as Junior -> Senior -> Lead Process Engineer -> Manager and stay in process engineering or operations all the way (Jap company where I am from)
Or, in dynamic companies, you can rotate to Sales / Business / Supply Chain and other departments and make your way up there.

Unregistered 08-04-2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164669)
Hi, 5 years chemical engineer here.

Starting salary should be around 4k +/-. It can vary quite a bit depending which company. You can expect 3.5 - 4.5k range. US MNCs generally pay better.

Prospect also varies company to company. Ask during your interview to get better idea and then decide!

It can be as dead and straight as Junior -> Senior -> Lead Process Engineer -> Manager and stay in process engineering or operations all the way (Jap company where I am from)
Or, in dynamic companies, you can rotate to Sales / Business / Supply Chain and other departments and make your way up there.

thanks for the reply kind sir!
still undecided between a finance career or an engineer one especially seeing so many negative and depressing reviews given by ex engineers
hows the work and pay say 5-8 years down (hitting 32 yo)

(soon to matriculate che eng at local u)

Unregistered 09-04-2021 08:34 AM

Hi, I graduated from NUS Electrical engineering in 2010 and stumbled into finance because I had no idea what to do.

I only suggest going to Engineering if you have a relatively clear mindset on the career path/trajectory you intend to set on. However you have to be mindful of certain engineering sectors here in Singapore just isnt very dynamic nor economically large enough to absorb both investment and human capital. Do your research please!

All the best..

Unregistered 09-04-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164831)
Hi, I graduated from NUS Electrical engineering in 2010 and stumbled into finance because I had no idea what to do.

I only suggest going to Engineering if you have a relatively clear mindset on the career path/trajectory you intend to set on. However you have to be mindful of certain engineering sectors here in Singapore just isnt very dynamic nor economically large enough to absorb both investment and human capital. Do your research please!

All the best..

Where are you exactly in finance?

Unregistered 09-04-2021 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164732)
still undecided between a finance career or an engineer one especially seeing so many negative and depressing reviews given by ex engineers

Hi junior, go with your passion! If no passion, do anything is also dreadful after give you 5 years. Salary is but one aspect (though impt aspect).

Good way to find out your passion is go for a traditional process role during your internship. You either like it or you hate it, then decide from there. If you like all the technical stuff from Uni courses, you will probably enjoy the role. It's all about data and analysis. If you are more of talking kind / dread technical.... better to join other industries / roles.

Once you start work, everything is about performance and how you are seen as an asset to company.
Paywise, for good performers, you might hit 6-figure annual after 5-8 yrs. This industry may give lower basic salary compared to say finance, but the bonus add-on can be big (eg. annually, all in 15-18 mths including AWS + all bonuses) (highly dependent on company & business situation). Of course, in next few years time, whether such good times are still around, do look out.

If you are merely average performer, you probably need to jump jobs to achieve higher salary (just like any other jobs).

Unregistered 09-04-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164732)

Hi junior it's better to find out your passion during course of study and internship. You will know if you dread all the technical calculations or enjoy & can master them.\

Anything do without passion, give you 5 years you will find it a dread.

Paywise, huge difference among companies. I will say after 5-8 years possible to hit 6-figure annual even as engineer level due to high bonus in this industry (~16-18 mths total is not uncommon). If you hit manager level, then confirm 6-figure.

Unregistered 09-04-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164832)
Where are you exactly in finance?

i am in the buy-side of finance.

Unregistered 09-04-2021 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164839)
Hi junior it's better to find out your passion during course of study and internship. You will know if you dread all the technical calculations or enjoy & can master them.\

Anything do without passion, give you 5 years you will find it a dread.

Paywise, huge difference among companies. I will say after 5-8 years possible to hit 6-figure annual even as engineer level due to high bonus in this industry (~16-18 mths total is not uncommon). If you hit manager level, then confirm 6-figure.

thanks for both the reply ^

and can i ask making the switch to finance say commodity analyst/trader is possible after a few years as a process eng?

Unregistered 11-04-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164942)
thanks for both the reply ^

and can i ask making the switch to finance say commodity analyst/trader is possible after a few years as a process eng?

Unlikely to be honest