Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   GovTech (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/8982-govtech.html)

Unregistered 02-04-2022 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211803)
oh wait, got 1 offer on hands, another 1 waiting HR to offer, need to get back to HR soon! can advise?

any of this is great opportunity? no point jumping jumping from one place into a **** hole for money unless the money is exhorbitant

Unregistered 02-04-2022 01:48 PM

April liao when announcing pay changes?

Unregistered 02-04-2022 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211807)
any of this is great opportunity? no point jumping jumping from one place into a **** hole for money unless the money is exhorbitant

btyedance and grab

Unregistered 02-04-2022 10:01 PM

More transparency in HR Comms and bad workload

Pros

Tech For Public Good
Bosses never say no for courses related to work/job role
Flexibility as long as the work gets done
The exposure depending if u take it positively or negatively

Cons

Workload & Manpower Issues, we are not Superman, I think my per hour/$ is lower than working at Mac due to the long hours of work, this results with lots of burn out and forcing people to leave.

HR too slow to catch up, although I know is public sector but the brain drain is a really issues. The retaliatory measures comes only when the mgmt n HR realized the in flow is not catching up with the out flow..

Also where is the HR fairness? WHY junior grade got salary adjusted in 2020 and the main bulk plus the juniors have to wait till 2022? This pissed a lot of long serving staff off..

Advice to Management

sugar coating the situation make the issues worst. Working level only matters about $, job satisfaction n workload.

Telling us management issues for empathy will not last long as the ground (manpower) issues are still not resolved as its a vicious cycle.

I agree with the management, not everything is money, but if I have a choice of doing the same but with higher salary, it’s a no brainer….

Unregistered 02-04-2022 10:03 PM

GDS - Great Disappointing Stint

Pros

- Bonus is good for people that performed well
- Closer connection to higher management(eg. Director level)
- Flat structure, technically no 'boss' but there still is.
- Claims process is fast and good
- Work is meaningful if you care about contributing to the country/citizens

Cons

- Pay is not up to industry standards.
- HR looks modern, but really isn't. Still tied by the WoG guidelines.
- Work is 'startup' style, which isn't a thing when you partner with agencies that has thick red-tapes. Startup style just means you have a easy road early on, pay the price down the road.
- Working speed is dialed down compared to private sectors
- Power struggle between GovTech and agencies partnership frustrates the execution level staff

Advice to Management

Honest opinion, you guys are having high turnover in tech staffing for a reason. The power struggle especially in GDS is bad. Is GovTech a vendor or a partner? If we are a partner, why are we getting overwritten by the agencies all the time? Why require a dramatic power meeting everytime the overwriting happens? This is extremely frustrating to the execution staff that is caught in-between. Also, reward and retain your staff that has proven to be good. It's the tech industry with plenty of opportunities. If it's frustrating, not as well paid and no appreciation, i guarantee the door is wide open for opportunities.

Please do not take any of this as negative. I hope GovTech does better to rival even the best tech firms. As of now, there's still much work to be done but I believe in you as a collective.

Unregistered 02-04-2022 10:04 PM

Best Singapore government related tech company but...

Pros

- Great team members
- Very structured and focused on the "new" tech
- Agile
- Many people of similar age groups

Cons

- There are still bureaucracy pressures from above
- HR bell curve moderation still in place
- T-shape model competency will "force" you contribute in places where you are really not needed for input

Advice to Management

Refer to cons

Unregistered 03-04-2022 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211565)
Like Grading Jump from D to E , Any1 with exp can advise ?

No 1 have experience on this ? Is it all too high level already..

Unregistered 03-04-2022 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211908)
Pros

- Bonus is good for people that performed well
- Closer connection to higher management(eg. Director level)
- Flat structure, technically no 'boss' but there still is.
- Claims process is fast and good
- Work is meaningful if you care about contributing to the country/citizens

Cons

- Pay is not up to industry standards.
- HR looks modern, but really isn't. Still tied by the WoG guidelines.
- Work is 'startup' style, which isn't a thing when you partner with agencies that has thick red-tapes. Startup style just means you have a easy road early on, pay the price down the road.
- Working speed is dialed down compared to private sectors
- Power struggle between GovTech and agencies partnership frustrates the execution level staff

Advice to Management

Honest opinion, you guys are having high turnover in tech staffing for a reason. The power struggle especially in GDS is bad. Is GovTech a vendor or a partner? If we are a partner, why are we getting overwritten by the agencies all the time? Why require a dramatic power meeting everytime the overwriting happens? This is extremely frustrating to the execution staff that is caught in-between. Also, reward and retain your staff that has proven to be good. It's the tech industry with plenty of opportunities. If it's frustrating, not as well paid and no appreciation, i guarantee the door is wide open for opportunities.

Please do not take any of this as negative. I hope GovTech does better to rival even the best tech firms. As of now, there's still much work to be done but I believe in you as a collective.

Difference in culture across the public service is a real issue.

Unregistered 03-04-2022 11:34 AM

The situation is really really bad in the SVC sides especially when there are always people leaving every month, be in Software Engineers, DevOps Engineers, QA Engineers, etc.
This does not include people who got transferred to the HQ side.
Not only it hurts the morale but the workloads that the people left will be passed on to whoever still there. Those that get the extra workloads will then start to look for new jobs. Hence, this creates a vicious cycle that never ends!

Managers and Team Leads are not doing much to deal with the issues of increasing workloads but rather care about whether the work are being completed on time.

While there are also new hires, they take months to train up and years to be efficient but at this rate of people leaving, the whole team will be filled with people with less than a year of experience working there.

Unregistered 03-04-2022 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211981)
The situation is really really bad in the SVC sides especially when there are always people leaving every month, be in Software Engineers, DevOps Engineers, QA Engineers, etc.
Not only it hurts the morale but the workloads that the people left will be passed on to whoever still there. Those that get the extra workloads will then start to look for new jobs. Hence, this creates a vicious cycle that never ends!

Managers and Team Leads are not doing much to deal with the issues of increasing workloads but rather care about whether the work are being completed on time.

While there are also new hires, they take months to train up and years to be efficient but at this rate of people leaving, the whole team will be filled with people with less than a year of experience working there.

Agree, big boss will never understand the workloads on the ground with the lacks of manpower issue, what does management care is only timeline

Unregistered 03-04-2022 03:38 PM

Quote:

There are also quite a number of new comers that left within a few months after they realize the situation that they were immediately thrown with overwhelming tasks by those who left.

This issue is made worst by the fact that seniors no longer wants to train and guide the new comers since they felt the new comers might left at any time.

Unregistered 03-04-2022 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212025)
There are also quite a number of new comers that left within a few months after they realize the situation that they were immediately thrown with overwhelming tasks by those who left.

This issue is made worst by the fact that seniors no longer wants to train and guide the new comers since they felt the new comers might left at any time.

Hope to gain some more insight here as i am a fresh grad non-tapper joining in June. Would just like to get a sense of whether or not most ppl in this thread are on to something and the situation is rly quite jialat, or if its really division and team dependent and not everywhere is the same?

Unregistered 03-04-2022 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212042)
Hope to gain some more insight here as i am a fresh grad non-tapper joining in June. Would just like to get a sense of whether or not most ppl in this thread are on to something and the situation is rly quite jialat, or if its really division and team dependent and not everywhere is the same?

honestly, pls take whats experienced here as a pinch of salt. you make your own career.

Unregistered 03-04-2022 06:35 PM

Quote:

expected another wave after got the bonus, adjustment

Unregistered 03-04-2022 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212042)

there might be some division or team that are okay but if that is the case, you won't be hired to work there. They will rather filled you to the team where manpower is seriously needed.

Unregistered 04-04-2022 01:44 AM

Apr is here, havent heard anything yet leh...

Unregistered 04-04-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212120)

no news is good news

Unregistered 04-04-2022 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212120)

Probably in the upcoming govtech con. But I wonder why we have to keep asking on external forums thou

Unregistered 04-04-2022 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212134)
Probably in the upcoming govtech con. But I wonder why we have to keep asking on external forums thou

when is the next upcoming govtech con?

Unregistered 04-04-2022 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212134)

Cos internal keep it so secretive and mgmt not telling us anything

Unregistered 04-04-2022 02:44 PM

Congratulations to all promotees!

Unregistered 04-04-2022 04:55 PM

Quote:

Serious question but why bother training for? Most of the staff are augmented team members that will likely leave in a few months to a year. Meanwhile managers are rushing you to compete features and tickets.

Unregistered 04-04-2022 06:48 PM

Quote:

Yeah. Encountered a case where many things were undone for 4-6 months by the previous person who left. Then new person come, given a short time like 2 months to finish everything.

Unregistered 04-04-2022 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212238)
Yeah. Encountered a case where many things were undone for 4-6 months by the previous person who left. Then new person come, given a short time like 2 months to finish everything.

Same bruh, took the project halfway thru and left few months. Lmao, I tendered straight after knowing KPI will be based heavily on projects.

Still a good company though, perhaps just wrong place at wrong time. Not fated to be.

Unregistered 04-04-2022 11:14 PM

Quote:

Hahaha seniors don’t throw you to Holland very good le don’t expect too much

Unregistered 05-04-2022 08:02 AM

Govtech so well paid, of cos must expect a lot la

Unregistered 05-04-2022 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212314)
Govtech so well paid, of cos must expect a lot la

usually only ppl from SIs will say that due to their low pay

Unregistered 05-04-2022 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212318)
usually only ppl from SIs will say that due to their low pay

Govtech peg their pay to the top tech films what. Minus the stock options lah. Was told a typical swe with over 5 yoe in govtech can go up to 200k? How much more you guys want?

Unregistered 05-04-2022 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212288)
Same bruh, took the project halfway thru and left few months. Lmao, I tendered straight after knowing KPI will be based heavily on projects.

Still a good company though, perhaps just wrong place at wrong time. Not fated to be.

idk man as a new joiner incoming this june, kinda wondering if i made the right choice. can u describe more on what happened when u take the proj halfway? eg. no guidance, documentation etc. also mind sharing how many yoe u have and where u jump to? TIA!

Unregistered 05-04-2022 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212340)
idk man as a new joiner incoming this june, kinda wondering if i made the right choice. can u describe more on what happened when u take the proj halfway? eg. no guidance, documentation etc. also mind sharing how many yoe u have and where u jump to? TIA!

Can share which role and site you are going to?

Unregistered 05-04-2022 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212331)
Govtech peg their pay to the top tech films what. Minus the stock options lah. Was told a typical swe with over 5 yoe in govtech can go up to 200k? How much more you guys want?

the 200k is ogp bro, not govtech

Unregistered 05-04-2022 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212342)
the 200k is ogp bro, not govtech

Ermm.. some of the senior engineer roles in GT can hit..

Unregistered 05-04-2022 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212341)
Can share which role and site you are going to?

DSAID, data engineering team

Unregistered 05-04-2022 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212340)

Don’t worry too much since you’re a fresh grad, go in with open heart and learn as much as you can! Am in a foreign bank now.

Unregistered 05-04-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212358)
Don’t worry too much since you’re a fresh grad, go in with open heart and learn as much as you can! Am in a foreign bank now.

thanks! someone reassured now :) LOL all the best in ur new role! am i wrong to say govtech has better branding than most tech firms in singapore? (like good exit opportunities?)

Unregistered 05-04-2022 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212345)

Total bs. Not even lead engineers get this amount

Unregistered 05-04-2022 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212345)

confirm BS lah unless you're in OGP

Unregistered 05-04-2022 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212373)
thanks! someone reassured now :) LOL all the best in ur new role! am i wrong to say govtech has better branding than most tech firms in singapore? (like good exit opportunities?)

All e best to you too! Pretty solid branding I will would say, can secure interviews easily with big tech.

Unregistered 05-04-2022 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212381)
Total bs. Not even lead engineers get this amount

Lead? no, even principle engineers dun make annual 200k

Unregistered 05-04-2022 09:37 PM

this year got promoted, what is the expected % increments? TIA