Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   GovTech (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/8982-govtech.html)

Unregistered 20-11-2023 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260916)
Didn’t you guys notice an influx of new hires in Services Group sites? A lot of augmented resources have been converted into perm in the past 2 months in anticipation of the hire freeze. If you are surprised of CE’s email, you were just not in the higher-up loops.

Rumours were already spreading on hiring freeze, but the contract renewal is the stuff that came unexpected. Dont expect D and above to be commenting here unlike the IMDA thread

Unregistered 20-11-2023 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260886)
Left the place.

Huge upgrade to breakfast. Pls maintain
No pigeonhole otherwise the question will be much intense

Ask questions but ask those so simple to answer. Ask about upgrade la , how to claim la. Such easy pass to them.

Only shock no one brought up indeed saga. I guess everyone very scared of losing their job

I also think govtech GDS ace impact the most. But I only can say, if u are talented, u dont need to be scared. They will convert u or renew u, or outside will gladly hire u

But if u worry about keeping your job, I guess u are not so important after all

Was waiting for u to ask le...but didnt even see u anywhere but smiling through the staff con

Unregistered 20-11-2023 07:57 PM

I more interested in the website by the PS lei. Tried to find but can't find

Unregistered 20-11-2023 08:00 PM

out of 4000+, how many staffs are on Contract?

Unregistered 20-11-2023 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260913)
I think divisions with roles that have a high attrition rate, like Services Group, will be the most impacted by this. Imagine that your people are leaving and cannot be replaced. The people remaining will just end up with more work and then burnout and leave too. In an ideal world, the people remaining get to pick and choose which project they want to do, but realistically speaking, do you guys think that would really happen?

I think services may have higher chance to get renew

Govtechies like GDS ace, what are they doing? Why we need them? And the last guy on chatbot. Been doing chatbot for so long but what's the end product? Not impressive like vica

So these have to go.

Even PS said, got custom gpt. Why we even need a team for software engineer to code from scratch?

Build vs subscribe

Unregistered 20-11-2023 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260920)
Was waiting for u to ask le...but didnt even see u anywhere but smiling through the staff con

Cannot la. Might tio marked. Just want live peaceful life, lie flat sua le

I know I'm not affected cause I know I contributed back. And it's evident

Unregistered 20-11-2023 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260925)
I more interested in the website by the PS lei. Tried to find but can't find

U can email him and ask

PS also said, if pod dont get back to him ( one of the guy asked where to find online materials lol) let him know

Unregistered 20-11-2023 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260919)
Rumours were already spreading on hiring freeze, but the contract renewal is the stuff that came unexpected. Dont expect D and above to be commenting here unlike the IMDA thread

Dont have such big ears to receive such news lei..

Didn't know got hiring freeze.

Firing is good. Healthy for the organization Anyways

Unregistered 21-11-2023 10:05 AM

I thought we’re on freeze? Why are we still hiring people through employment agencies. Contradicting. Isn’t it about cost cutting.

Unregistered 21-11-2023 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260984)
I thought we’re on freeze? Why are we still hiring people through employment agencies. Contradicting. Isn’t it about cost cutting.

I believe u are referring to augmented resources or should be known as third party.

Which in context is different...

Unregistered 21-11-2023 04:21 PM

PS's system was just class homework that is not publicly accessible.

The contract staff coming in now were made offers, that continue to be honoured. It's got nothing to do with cost cutting: it's about staying within allocated headcount. Nobody is being fired. But everyone must upskill and be prepared to redeploy.

I find VICA good, and getting even better with 2.0. It's well-implemented on GovTech's website.

Unregistered 21-11-2023 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261008)

The contract staff coming in now were made offers, that continue to be honoured. It's got nothing to do with cost cutting: it's about staying within allocated headcount. Nobody is being fired. But everyone must upskill and be prepared to redeploy.

I find VICA good, and getting even better with 2.0. It's well-implemented on GovTech's website.

VICA is a joke in 1.0 (That it's even known publicly when it's rolled out in agencies internet website). 2.0 is still a joke at the current stage, and you are better off searching by keyword on the search bar.

If VICA 2.0 cant perform better in internet agencies site than the intranet due to multiple reasons, especially when the public will have much higher expectations if Govtech releases how they work, it's going to continue to be a meme down the years.

As much as I want to go into details on why it's still crap based on how I guess it works in 2.0. Too bad this is still a public forum.

Unregistered 21-11-2023 11:48 PM

Citigroup cuts over 300 senior manager roles in latest restructuring

Unregistered 22-11-2023 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261008)

No lol. Vica sucks ass. And I wonder why they still put resources developing the bot. Just streamline or subscribe to chatbot already

Unregistered 22-11-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261062)
Citigroup cuts over 300 senior manager roles in latest restructuring

citigrp and govt tech got links ah?

Unregistered 23-11-2023 12:05 AM

Anyone receive contract renewal after govtech con?

Unregistered 23-11-2023 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261156)
Anyone receive contract renewal after govtech con?

Is it the Thomas guy?

I only know GDS ace got impacted. But honestly, I dont know what contributions they did tbh

Unregistered 23-11-2023 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261160)
Is it the Thomas guy?

I only know GDS ace got impacted. But honestly, I dont know what contributions they did tbh

Huh Ace Dom is contract staff?!

Unregistered 23-11-2023 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261160)
Is it the Thomas guy?

why mostly GDS ace impacted?

Unregistered 23-11-2023 12:56 PM

Hearsay the ex indeed peeps are on contract, not full time

Unregistered 23-11-2023 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261121)
citigrp and govt tech got links ah?

That's why they stop posting job ads to take them in ma

Unregistered 23-11-2023 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261221)
That's why they stop posting job ads to take them in ma

Lol few pages ago already talking abt the VR layoff liao. That one more interesting than some old boring bank.

Unregistered 23-11-2023 09:00 PM

Surprisingly no one from SVC went to question for Govtechcon? Are most of them on perm so they are not affected by this? That would be surprising considering they are the largest division.

Unregistered 23-11-2023 09:11 PM

I hope when CE said freeze hiring, he meant for all. I overheard some people saying that Corporate is unaffected.

Unregistered 23-11-2023 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261249)
I hope when CE said freeze hiring, he meant for all. I overheard some people saying that Corporate is unaffected.

SVC's headcount is given by Agencies not created out of nowhere from HQ, if really no replacement means agencies will take back the headcount....

Unregistered 23-11-2023 09:51 PM

Hi I just got an offer as a Deputy Director in GDS after getting retrenched from Citigroup. Still waiting for my other colleagues to join me too.

Going to be first time working in public sector, how's the working culture there? Is drinking sessions on Friday commonplace?

Unregistered 23-11-2023 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261258)
Hi I just got an offer as a Deputy Director in GDS after getting retrenched from Citigroup. Still waiting for my other colleagues to join me too.

Going to be first time working in public sector, how's the working culture there? Is drinking sessions on Friday commonplace?

Stupid troll fake post. Please do everyone a service and resign. You don't deserve to be here.

Unregistered 23-11-2023 11:04 PM

Quote:

sure or not
so heng ah u?

Unregistered 23-11-2023 11:26 PM

Quote:

Confirm troll from GDS lah. You got better chance of trolling if u say u are joining as DCE as critical role

Unregistered 24-11-2023 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261190)
Hearsay the ex indeed peeps are on contract, not full time

Even if they are on contract, they just joined and has 1 or 2 year period

Unregistered 24-11-2023 08:48 AM

Govt Tech haven't kee chia?

Unregistered 24-11-2023 05:30 PM

I think you guys are right. It seems like Services Group is not as affected. Almost all the internal job postings have been removed except for a few that are roles from the Services Group.

Unregistered 24-11-2023 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261343)
I think you guys are right. It seems like Services Group is not as affected. Almost all the internal job postings have been removed except for a few that are roles from the Services Group.

SVC actually contributes at least 60% of the MMF for GT, I heard usually those unfilled post, they will sort of “t loan” first to fill other HQ or products post since once transferred in, it is in a common pool….

Unregistered 24-11-2023 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261355)
SVC actually contributes at least 60% of the MMF for GT, I heard usually those unfilled post, they will sort of “t loan” first to fill other HQ or products post since once transferred in, it is in a common pool….

Guys, this only proves that we at services generate profit to keep the company afloat

Without services why do we need GDS la, ogp la. Without services, where got demand for CSG.

So that's why GDS must be first to let go. They really eat up the headcount and profit

Unregistered 24-11-2023 08:14 PM

To add on, why we need so many software engineer. Why do we need to build in-house unless its CII and SII.

Thats why they all scared when the news broke out

Just get these folks such as ncs or accenture and sit down and develop

Unregistered 24-11-2023 09:08 PM

LOL SVC already tio slapped so many times during the govtechcon on the failures. You guys still think outsourcing is the solution? Might as well revert to IDA times where all the project managers are clearly not technically capable.

Unregistered 25-11-2023 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261370)
LOL SVC already tio slapped so many times during the govtechcon on the failures. You guys still think outsourcing is the solution? Might as well revert to IDA times where all the project managers are clearly not technically capable.

Talk is cheap, you kee chiu come to SVC and work 6 mths - 1 year full time then say..

You really think so easy to manage all 50+ agencies like peanuts? It’s not just a few agile squads or a group of engineers could changes in matters of weeks or months..

mistakes are bound to happen given SVC are half of GT.

Anyways, ABC, we work as a team as we need each others.

Unregistered 25-11-2023 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261370)

Too slap but at least we own up to it.

Say what collaboration with GDS la, seek help la. Think services dont do that? Its just those GDS or ogp folks dont even help when asked for it

Still focus on doing their own stuff

Unregistered 25-11-2023 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261390)
Talk is cheap, you kee chiu come to SVC and work 6 mths - 1 year full time then say..

You really think so easy to manage all 50+ agencies like peanuts? It’s not just a few agile squads or a group of engineers could changes in matters of weeks or months..

mistakes are bound to happen given SVC are half of GT.

Anyways, ABC, we work as a team as we need each others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261391)
Too slap but at least we own up to it.

Say what collaboration with GDS la, seek help la. Think services dont do that? Its just those GDS or ogp folks dont even help when asked for it

Still focus on doing their own stuff

Get your own engineering capabilities.

The idea that everything must be WOG/use WOG tech stack has to be struck off, even if it goes against central mandate. If the WOG tech stack fits your purpose, feel free to use it. But most of the time, use your SWE capabilities to integrate the commercial SAAS would be the better option (Not going to elaborate why WOG tech stack is shitty). Integrate commercial -> Build -> WOG Tech stack as the priority I would have gone with.

Dont bog down your SWE with "agile". The agile that GT practices is totally bull. This is not the army where we have ceremonies and parades every day. You dont need 1 BA + 1 PM + 1 SM + 1 DM + 1 EM for 1 SWE. Let your SWE own (and be accountable) for the process. Just get 1 PM / BA to handle all the administrative stuff (Staffing etc).

Start with small wins, and accelerate towards the larger agency projects. Once you are able to do that and showcase it, SVC wont be the butt of the joke when it comes to tech level in GT(And public), and with time, you can prove that you do not need a large GDS when agencies are able to be self sufficient.

SVC already has their hands filled with "keeping the lights on". But when they do it by outsourcing everything, and their core team are just managers, you are not going to have any tech capabilities other than paperwork. And even if one day the entire GDS goes under SVC, most of the GDS would have quit due to the tech incompetency of their SVC managers.

Unregistered 25-11-2023 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 261417)
Get your own engineering capabilities.

The idea that everything must be WOG/use WOG tech stack has to be struck off, even if it goes against central mandate. If the WOG tech stack fits your purpose, feel free to use it. But most of the time, use your SWE capabilities to integrate the commercial SAAS would be the better option (Not going to elaborate why WOG tech stack is shitty). Integrate commercial -> Build -> WOG Tech stack as the priority I would have gone with.

Dont bog down your SWE with "agile". The agile that GT practices is totally bull. This is not the army where we have ceremonies and parades every day. You dont need 1 BA + 1 PM + 1 SM + 1 DM + 1 EM for 1 SWE. Let your SWE own (and be accountable) for the process. Just get 1 PM / BA to handle all the administrative stuff (Staffing etc).

Start with small wins, and accelerate towards the larger agency projects. Once you are able to do that and showcase it, SVC wont be the butt of the joke when it comes to tech level in GT(And public), and with time, you can prove that you do not need a large GDS when agencies are able to be self sufficient.

SVC already has their hands filled with "keeping the lights on". But when they do it by outsourcing everything, and their core team are just managers, you are not going to have any tech capabilities other than paperwork. And even if one day the entire GDS goes under SVC, most of the GDS would have quit due to the tech incompetency of their SVC managers.

There are thousands of government projects; even if you switch every single GovTechie into software engineers, there still won't be enough manpower to develop, deliver, and maintain every single government project, and this is the main reason why the majority of government projects are outsourced.

Agencies did build their own engineering capabilities, and the two largest groups are METEOR/WINS from MOM and ESTL from MOE, which are both moved into GDS after the previous reorg.

If you feel that the SG Tech Stack products are not useful, then perhaps you can give them feedback and help them improve. Most of the products in the SG Tech Stack are developed and maintained by the GDS team. If they are as useless as you think, then a significant group of people from GDS should be let go, right?

Yeah, Agile practices are total ********. We should just let go of all the delivery managers and agile coaches from GDS, right?

How can we let people who do not have the technical knowledge and skills of software engineers work at Govtech? We should send all non-technical DM, UXD, Assistant Directors, and Deputy Directors to a mandatory 1-year program where they learn programming, data structure and algorithms, database management, full stack development, networking, computer architecture, system architecture, and cyber security before they are allowed to come back to work for the superior GDS, right?

Most of GDS is going to leave because of non-technical reporting officers. We should fire all the non-technical reporting officers in GDS, which is the majority, right?