Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   MAS for Mid Career Professionals (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/2119-monetary-authority-singapore-mid-career-professionals.html)

Unregistered 25-06-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139723)
I was from MAS grad prog. Grad prog ppl are treated the same as MAS scholars. In fact, I believe I got way more perf bonus than the scholar in the same batch. I did not observe scholars getting promoted abnormally faster than others, though i think they try to give them more showcase opp but these are not something that is unreachable if you are a motivated non-scholar. Likewise, there is no distinction of first or second class upper degree holders - same pay and the progression after your first 5 years there depends on how you perform in your first 1-2yrs (basically impressions form in the first few years and that will determine your opportunities to showcase and hence your promotion chances and perf bonus amt) and also depends on your boss (pretty much like outside actually). It is possible for mid-career to join and be in the same track as those direct from fresh grad but these are usually those who are relatively junior e.g. if they spent only abt 2-3 yrs in audit before moving to MAS.

The real crappy part of joining MAS is you will feel stuck after your first 5 to 7 yrs. it will be exponentially hard to get promoted after you reach DD (which is the peak for some of the ppl there), your salary growth will start to decelerate when compared to peers in private sectors. At that stage, you will really need to think hard if you wanna continue and stagnate there or go out and try. But another set of challenges may set in, cuz after 5 to 7 yrs of conditioning in MAS, it can get quite difficult to adjust to the outside world. But yea if you are fresh grad, enjoy your first 5 to 7 years. it is a decent experience, i would say it definitely trumps working banking BO or audit.

I see so many people in their late 30s-40s getting so insecure of their position that they just throw/ignore any brilliant junior. Typical DDs. Just make them do the work and they claim the credit.

Unregistered 19-07-2020 11:55 AM

Interesting.. hearing that the ground people are dying due to the many measures rolled out due to covid..

Unregistered 23-07-2020 04:11 PM

Does MAS looks at undergrad degree when considering mid level professionals or they put more emphasis on the relevant experience.

Unregistered 23-07-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142471)
Does MAS looks at undergrad degree when considering mid level professionals or they put more emphasis on the relevant experience.

They look at everything, even O and A level

Unregistered 23-07-2020 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142522)
They look at everything, even O and A level

Don't expect for them to value your experience once you're in. You'll be treated like a trainee and expected to run in the hamster wheel fast like all the others.

Unregistered 24-07-2020 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142549)
Don't expect for them to value your experience once you're in. You'll be treated like a trainee and expected to run in the hamster wheel fast like all the others.

Agreed. Been here 4 years, and every day is a new challenge. Feels nothing like what I had expected of a public service job

Unregistered 28-07-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142561)
Agreed. Been here 4 years, and every day is a new challenge. Feels nothing like what I had expected of a public service job

Yeah agree. Feels like hamster wheel with no transferable skills at times though

Unregistered 28-07-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142834)
Yeah agree. Feels like hamster wheel with no transferable skills at times though

depends on which department you're in i guess

Unregistered 09-08-2020 11:08 PM

How does the grades in MAS correspond to the MX grades?

Is grade 12 = MX 12 and grade 11 = MX 11 (not even MX 11A)?

Unregistered 10-08-2020 01:06 AM

what's a typical performance bonus like for fresh grads starting out in MAS?

Unregistered 17-08-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143588)
How does the grades in MAS correspond to the MX grades?

Is grade 12 = MX 12 and grade 11 = MX 11 (not even MX 11A)?

Also curious too

Unregistered 17-08-2020 10:57 PM

Not exactly equal, but somewhat close, for ref only:

MX13 to MX12 - Associate / Assistant Director (1 of 2)
MX12 to MX11 - Assistant Director (1 of 2)
MX11 to MX11a - Assistant Director (2 of 2)
MX11a to MX10 - Deputy Director (1 of 4)
MX10 to MX9 - Deputy Director (2 of 4)

Unregistered 24-08-2020 11:25 PM

What is the typical age when one gets to deputy director (1 of 4)?
And salary to expect?

Unregistered 25-08-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142549)

This is true from what I heard. The worst part is even if you have 10-15 years of experience, you will report to someone much younger than you e.g. someone who have been with MAS as fresh grad/few years of experience and around for 8-10 years and already a DD.

Unregistered 25-08-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139517)
hi all, what is the difference between MAS supervision and big 4 audit? do the job scopes overlaps

They are different universe. Most big4 auditors cannot do risk assessment. Without a methodology or audit test steps or a checklist, they don't even know where to start looking at risks.

MAS is regulator, not auditor. They are not in the business as auditors but they use some auditing methods to get a sense/test whether the bank's control environment is sound or not.

Unregistered 25-08-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133911)
for sure... its MAS! Excluding GIC & Temasek, MAS is the most prestigious government body (also EDB & MFA of course)

It may be the case in the past but as with any other govt agency, things change and all agencies are slowly transforming. Going by anecdotes on their hiring practices, it is a matter of time that they are left with only mediocre farmers and Management who has never worked a single day in private practice ....

Unregistered 25-08-2020 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144446)
This is true from what I heard. The worst part is even if you have 10-15 years of experience, you will report to someone much younger than you e.g. someone who have been with MAS as fresh grad/few years of experience and around for 8-10 years and already a DD.

Spot on. And good luck trying to get out.

Unregistered 26-08-2020 10:36 AM

Hi guys,

Any idea how long does it usually take to hear back from MAS after applying for a position? Noticed there seems to be quite a lot of openings during this period.. Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 27-08-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144449)
It may be the case in the past but as with any other govt agency, things change and all agencies are slowly transforming. Going by anecdotes on their hiring practices, it is a matter of time that they are left with only mediocre farmers and Management who has never worked a single day in private practice ....

Wise words. Those who can always leave, those who can't stay.

MiloMojo 22-09-2020 05:08 AM

Hi,

Can anyone pls share more about MAS interview process and questions asked?

Applied as a mid career professional. But welcome replies from fresh grad applicants too.

Thanks!

Unregistered 07-10-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 110387)
For the position that I applied, there were 2 rounds of interview. From the time I applied till I signed the contract, it took slightly more than 2 months. The timeline as follows:

- 3 weeks after I applied online --> Got a call to go for an interview one week later
- 1 week later --> 1st round of interview
- 1 day later --> Got a call to go for second interview which was one week later
- 1 week later --> 2nd round of interview
- 2 days later --> Verbal offer
- 3 weeks plus later --> Signing of contract

is the timeline above still the same? can anyone confirm?

Unregistered 22-10-2020 02:14 AM

Correct timeline

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146947)
is the timeline above still the same? can anyone confirm?

Timeline is more or less correct, just got an offer recently

MiloMojo 24-10-2020 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147780)

How long did you have to wait for the offer?

Unregistered 24-10-2020 02:02 AM

Offer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiloMojo (Post 147955)
How long did you have to wait for the offer?

Follow up on salary negotiation was fast (2-3 working day after 2nd interview)
Offer took longer (1 month after second interview)

Unregistered 24-10-2020 01:29 PM

Hi

Is there difference in salary across departments. Economist, Traders earn more than policy work and supervisors?

Unregistered 29-10-2020 01:07 PM

Quote:

hi, May I know how long you have waited before they call you for interview? Thanks!

Unregistered 29-10-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147960)
Follow up on salary negotiation was fast (2-3 working day after 2nd interview)
Offer took longer (1 month after second interview)

Hi, may I know if they will update the status of the job portal? Thx

Unregistered 05-11-2020 11:49 PM

Quote:

Is the package good? Got work life balance?

freakazoid 06-11-2020 01:12 PM

Hi

Hi, I need some advice. Recently I have applied for a Position in MAS and is in the midst of progressing to 2nd round of interview.

Are there any major difference (in terms of benefits and Bonus) between Contract and Perm Staff in MAS ?

COVID-19 07-11-2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148303)
Hi, may I know if they will update the status of the job portal? Thx

My job portal was not updated even now (1 year working in MAS already)

COVID-19 07-11-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148300)
hi, May I know how long you have waited before they call you for interview? Thanks!

I submitted on 28 jan and they emailed me on 24 feb (1 month)

Unregistered 12-11-2020 08:25 PM

I only got 1.5mth this year and 200 increment in salary... is it because of covid?

Unregistered 12-11-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 149038)
I only got 1.5mth this year and 200 increment in salary... is it because of covid?

I got average performance of C. 1.5mth only.

freakazoid 22-11-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakazoid (Post 148749)
Hi, I need some advice. Recently I have applied for a Position in MAS and is in the midst of progressing to 2nd round of interview.

Are there any major difference (in terms of benefits and Bonus) between Contract and Perm Staff in MAS ?

Hi all, I have cleared my first round (with Team Lead) and 2nd round (with Division Head). I am scheduled to attend 3rd round (with Executive Director) next Week ?

May I ask is it common for applicants (applying for AD/Associate Position) to have 3rd round interview in MAS ?

Also May I kindly ask for MAS, upon completion of 2 Yr of Contract, Will I be entitled a completion bonus or Any ? Thanks

Unregistered 25-11-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakazoid (Post 149675)
Hi all, I have cleared my first round (with Team Lead) and 2nd round (with Division Head). I am scheduled to attend 3rd round (with Executive Director) next Week ?

May I ask is it common for applicants (applying for AD/Associate Position) to have 3rd round interview in MAS ?

Also May I kindly ask for MAS, upon completion of 2 Yr of Contract, Will I be entitled a completion bonus or Any ? Thanks

Contract normally have fixed bonus, you can check with HR.

Third interview is usually a routine which bosses see you, just to understand abit more on yourself and see how you fit. Typically Bosses are okay with the Division Head / Team Leads are okay.

Unregistered 15-12-2020 12:52 PM

3rd round of interview

Quote:

Hi freakazoid, may I know how long did MAS get back to you on the 3rd round of interview with the executive director after the 2nd interview? Thanks!

Unregistered 23-12-2020 04:21 PM

May i ask when (which month) is the annual bonus / increment be payout?

COVID-19 23-12-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151889)
May i ask when (which month) is the annual bonus / increment be payout?

Payroll is on 12 april, unless it falls on a weekend.

Unregistered 27-12-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Hi may I know what kind of questions were asked? And any tips for the interview? Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 29-12-2020 10:16 AM

May I know how much allowance I will get if posted to work overseas like China, in MAS?