Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   DSTA (under Mindef) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/1940-defence-science-technology-agency-under-ministry-defence-singapore.html)

Unregistered 17-02-2016 07:45 PM

It's been 3 weeks since the interview. Should I assume that I have failed to get an offer? Is it DSTA practice to inform candidates even if they've failed?

Unregistered 17-02-2016 11:56 PM

Career after DSTA
 
Hi just wondering. Where can a DSTA employee go to after about 3-4 years inside DSTA?

Unregistered 20-02-2016 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79985)
It's been 3 weeks since the interview. Should I assume that I have failed to get an offer? Is it DSTA practice to inform candidates even if they've failed?

yes, most probably you are rejected. May i know which uni u from and honor?

Unregistered 21-02-2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80114)
yes, most probably you are rejected. May i know which uni u from and honor?

Spu masters in eee

Unregistered 21-02-2016 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80114)
yes, most probably you are rejected. May i know which uni u from and honor?

2nd low from NTU EEE part time. With relevant work experience while studying.

Is it considered rude to check with the HR lady that have requested me to do the G50 whether I have failed the interview?

Unregistered 21-02-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80124)
2nd low from NTU EEE part time. With relevant work experience while studying.

Is it considered rude to check with the HR lady that have requested me to do the G50 whether I have failed the interview?

u may try, they are quite friendly and helpful. For my case, i was invited to NTU networking session last october, went for the interview and got the job offer around 8 days after the interview. Most of my friends got it within 2 weeks. We were asked to fill up the G50 after we signed the contract.

Unregistered 24-02-2016 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79995)
Hi just wondering. Where can a DSTA employee go to after about 3-4 years inside DSTA?

Uppzz anybody?

Unregistered 24-02-2016 05:12 PM

i don't think the skillset acquired at DSTA is very transferrable. maybe you can jump around public sector, but moving around anywhere else would be rather hard.

Unregistered 25-02-2016 08:39 PM

But i did a search on linkedin and most who do not earn CFA or financial certifications usually do a PMP and go down the project mgmt route. so idk..

Unregistered 28-02-2016 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80352)
i don't think the skillset acquired at DSTA is very transferrable. maybe you can jump around public sector, but moving around anywhere else would be rather hard.

Top dsta engineers can easily Move to banking and earn 5 digit pm.

Unregistered 03-03-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79995)
Hi just wondering. Where can a DSTA employee go to after about 3-4 years inside DSTA?

Depends on which areas of engineering you are in. I was in the Building Infra team and went on to the private sector to manage private sector construction projects

Unregistered 24-03-2016 02:12 AM

CSIT Fresh Grad Pay
 
Does anyone know the current updated fresh grad pay for CSIT? Is it the same as DSTA/DSO at $4600/4200/3800?

Unregistered 24-03-2016 05:49 PM

DSTA no longer 4600/4200/3800, revised to 4500/4400/3800.

Source: just received job offer

Unregistered 27-03-2016 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82070)
DSTA no longer 4600/4200/3800, revised to 4500/4400/3800.

Source: just received job offer

Hi, may i know are u graduating this coming Aug? if so, are u from local uni?

Unregistered 28-03-2016 03:30 PM

Ok I posted here back when I went for an interview in January. Only just got an offer now after a 2 month+ wait. So it is possible that they do not offer you within a short while.

Unregistered 28-03-2016 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82196)
Hi, may i know are u graduating this coming Aug? if so, are u from local uni?

Yes, from NTU, graduating in Aug, attended interview just 1.5 weeks ago

Unregistered 30-03-2016 01:25 PM

anyone knows how long will it take for hr to get back? i submitted my application via [email protected] on 9 mar. havent got any reply yet.

Unregistered 30-03-2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82377)
anyone knows how long will it take for hr to get back? i submitted my application via [email protected] on 9 mar. havent got any reply yet.

They dun get back if u are rejected.

Unregistered 05-04-2016 02:50 PM

Hi guys! can i just check with those who applied, did you all upload a cover letter along with resume in [email protected]?
How many rounds of interview do you have to go thru before getting the offer?
thanks mate!

Unregistered 05-04-2016 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82868)
Hi guys! can i just check with those who applied, did you all upload a cover letter along with resume in [email protected]?
How many rounds of interview do you have to go thru before getting the offer?
thanks mate!

Yes, with cover page. 1 round of interview=> 2 Program Directors and 1 HR.

Unregistered 06-04-2016 01:02 AM

approximately how long do dsta (or gov service) get back after applying? because from [email protected] page, they said processing time of 8 weeks. but yeah, i know too that it shouldnt be too long..

Unregistered 06-04-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82894)
Yes, with cover page. 1 round of interview=> 2 Program Directors and 1 HR.

thanks for replying mate! what do you mean with cover page? cover letter needs to have a cover page?
what are the questions they asked? mind sharing?:)

Unregistered 06-04-2016 02:43 PM

One time, i decided not to proceed with the psychometric test and i did inform them.
1 year later, i tried applying again but there was no response from them.
i applied for media analyst. anybody knows what went wrong?

I have gone into oil and gas now.

Unregistered 06-04-2016 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82928)
thanks for replying mate! what do you mean with cover page? cover letter needs to have a cover page?
what are the questions they asked? mind sharing?:)

sorry, my mistake. i mean cover letter.
talk more about yourself and ur internship at company XX

Unregistered 06-04-2016 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 82964)
sorry, my mistake. i mean cover letter.
talk more about yourself and ur internship at company XX

i see i see. thank you so much for sharing!

Unregistered 09-04-2016 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79995)
Hi just wondering. Where can a DSTA employee go to after about 3-4 years inside DSTA?

they cant go anywhere. sadly

only a few can move out. but mostly stuck inside with non transferable skills....

u hear a lot of them whole day complain want to leave, but x years down they still there........

money is good in beginning, but after few years u will start losing out...

Unregistered 09-04-2016 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83172)
they cant go anywhere. sadly

only a few can move out. but mostly stuck inside with non transferable skills....

u hear a lot of them whole day complain want to leave, but x years down they still there........

money is good in beginning, but after few years u will start losing out...

DSTA is more on project management and i dont think it a non-transferable skill. It depends on how u utilise it. FYI, engineers from DSTA is wanted by quite a number of ministries/stat board especially when SG is going to be smart nation

Unregistered 13-04-2016 05:52 PM

Just to check... Will DSTA contact these who are not selected for the job after the interview?

Unregistered 14-04-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 76264)
2nd lower with NS's starting pay is at 3800.

how about 3rd class with NS?? do they take working experience into account?

Unregistered 14-04-2016 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83613)
how about 3rd class with NS?? do they take working experience into account?

3rd class can forget about DSTA

Wing Chun 14-04-2016 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83177)
DSTA is more on project management and i dont think it a non-transferable skill. It depends on how u utilise it. FYI, engineers from DSTA is wanted by quite a number of ministries/stat board especially when SG is going to be smart nation

But we are talking about the private sector here... What are the ENGINEERING skills that you can transfer?

Unregistered 15-04-2016 10:17 AM

an insider view
 
I chanced upon this thread and empathize with those who are eager to know the outcome of their interviews.
Normally they will reject you quickly if you failed your interview.
if you had to wait, it is likely you were KIVed (good but not best), or they are putting your name for management's approval.
HR is known to jam certain offers even when line PCs decided to offer their candidate, for reasons unknown to me.
Those KIV ones may eventually be offered / rejected especially if new resumes were received (if you noticed, some job applications on the career portal do not have application end dates).

DSTA is predominantly engineering, with most departments doing PM / Systems Management. Therefore you are required to have project management and engineering knowledge. Engineering knowledge is important (so said our top govt ministers) and can be transferred to places like LTA, SMRT, PUB.
But DSTA also have Computer science folks doing Cybersecurity, SW development, QA, QC etc. These skills are very transferable but likely to be lowered paid if you wish to venture into Pte sectors.

Pay, welfare are good, depending on which sector you compare to (prob. not as good as oil/gas, banking. But definitely better than IT industry)

All the best folks.

source: we are hiring; Have conducted and is still conducting interviews.

Unregistered 15-04-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wing Chun (Post 83678)
But we are talking about the private sector here... What are the ENGINEERING skills that you can transfer?

OMG, do u think DSTA only deal with military stuff and do you think that Military technology is totally different from commerical? i not sure whether you are an engineer but from the way i see, you totally have no idea what is engineering, most probably those kind of 读死书 !

Unregistered 15-04-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wing Chun (Post 83678)
But we are talking about the private sector here... What are the ENGINEERING skills that you can transfer?

And also read the recent news '://.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/better-salaries-for-fresh/2692082.html'

DSTA is one of centres of excellence and other public agencies are joining in and you are saying there are no engineering skill can be transfered?

Unregistered 15-04-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83677)
3rd class can forget about DSTA

not even with 2 years working experience as engineer in MNC?

Unregistered 15-04-2016 11:39 PM

So far anyone here who went for the interview this year(2016) for the engineer position got rejected? How long after the interview do you get the bad news?

Unregistered 16-04-2016 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83703)
not even with 2 years working experience as engineer in MNC?

there are lots of first/upper engineer worked in MNC apply for DSTA, what makes u think that your 2 yr experience is better than theirs?

Unregistered 17-04-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83703)
not even with 2 years working experience as engineer in MNC?

If the two years of working experience has equipped the engineer with skills that are needed for the job and a similarly experienced engineer with first class and no relevant skills apply for the same job, of course you will have a chance. When I was job hunting, one thing i learnt was that grades were important in the eyes of all companies when hiring an engineer, especially in engineering. It is not just a public sector thing. There is a reason for that. However, if you have something other than your grades to show(if impressive), I do not think the rules apply.

I am not from DSTA, nor have I applied there. However, my company has a reputation for not hiring below second upper as well. Senior management has stressed their worry about that misconception of such a "cut off point" as they fear that skillful and experienced engineers would not apply.

Unregistered 17-04-2016 03:22 PM

From a local engineering GLC,

even for hiring a technician,

Mr A = ~3 yrs of relevant engineering exp with ITE cert/ Poly cert
Mr B = fresh grad from ITE

Management would rather hire the fresh grad from ITE because he is cheaper by about $300-400

Unregistered 18-04-2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83693)
I chanced upon this thread and empathize with those who are eager to know the outcome of their interviews.
Normally they will reject you quickly if you failed your interview.
if you had to wait, it is likely you were KIVed (good but not best), or they are putting your name for management's approval.
HR is known to jam certain offers even when line PCs decided to offer their candidate, for reasons unknown to me.
Those KIV ones may eventually be offered / rejected especially if new resumes were received (if you noticed, some job applications on the career portal do not have application end dates).

DSTA is predominantly engineering, with most departments doing PM / Systems Management. Therefore you are required to have project management and engineering knowledge. Engineering knowledge is important (so said our top govt ministers) and can be transferred to places like LTA, SMRT, PUB.
But DSTA also have Computer science folks doing Cybersecurity, SW development, QA, QC etc. These skills are very transferable but likely to be lowered paid if you wish to venture into Pte sectors.

Pay, welfare are good, depending on which sector you compare to (prob. not as good as oil/gas, banking. But definitely better than IT industry)

All the best folks.

source: we are hiring; Have conducted and is still conducting interviews.

Thanks for this piece of information. If I received verbal confirmation some time ago from the HR people but have yet to receive any official offer, should I be worried that I might still be rejected?


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2