Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   GIC (Government of Singapore Investment Corporation) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/1646-government-singapore-investment-corporation-government-singapore-investment-corporation.html)

Unregistered 04-09-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherman (Post 72277)
Hi guys,

From the replies posted, it's clear there will be a difference in pay package between those who are on investment side versus those in corporate services related roles.

If I've been involved in business continuity planning, infrastructure risk and crisis management (with secondary roles in facilities, procurement and admin) for the past 15 years in the public service, any idea what I can expect if I apply for a senior risk and insurance manager role with GIC?

(By the way, I was last an Assistant Director in a government agency, but in today's titles and roles, can almost be equitable to a senior manager role in some agencies).

Thanks everyone.

No offence but 15 years in the gov sector and all you got is an AD/SM? Assuming you are male deg with NS I suppose you are already ~40 years old?

Although GIC tends to be a bit more lenient in their requirements on non investment related roles, it's gonna be a tough sell for you to apply based on your track record. At your age they hire mid careers at VP levels even for support functions.

Unregistered 04-09-2015 12:55 PM

Anyone can share what is the typical pay range for AVP in technology department?

Unregistered 04-09-2015 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 72304)
Anyone can share what is the typical pay range for AVP in technology department?

usually 250-300k + 70-80k bonus

Unregistered 04-09-2015 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 72311)
usually 250-300k + 70-80k bonus

looking for proper answers, not jokes.

Sherman 04-09-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 72302)
No offence but 15 years in the gov sector and all you got is an AD/SM? Assuming you are male deg with NS I suppose you are already ~40 years old?

Although GIC tends to be a bit more lenient in their requirements on non investment related roles, it's gonna be a tough sell for you to apply based on your track record. At your age they hire mid careers at VP levels even for support functions.

Correct, am 40. Well, depends on which gov agency we come from. In some agencies, you can be a SM in 7 years, while in others, it requires at least 10 years experience. Hence, the only way to benchmark is the common civil service grade.

In my case, the last agency I was in, you can be an AD in 4 years. But the AD band width is very wide. At the higher end, it merges with a DD grade.

(By the way, I was in the uniformed organisation for quite some time before switching over to civilian setting)

Thanks.

Unregistered 05-09-2015 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherman (Post 72330)
Correct, am 40. Well, depends on which gov agency we come from. In some agencies, you can be a SM in 7 years, while in others, it requires at least 10 years experience. Hence, the only way to benchmark is the common civil service grade.

In my case, the last agency I was in, you can be an AD in 4 years. But the AD band width is very wide. At the higher end, it merges with a DD grade.

(By the way, I was in the uniformed organisation for quite some time before switching over to civilian setting)

Thanks.

It doesn't really matter which agency, rightly or wrongly AD at 40 years in the public sector is perceived as average performance / CEP at best. Other than a sizable proportion of people there being scholars, the rest are either high performer/CEP from public sector or strong candidates from MNCs. It is just not a place for an average gov employee to make the switch. Cold water, but that's the truth.

Unregistered 05-09-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 72352)
It doesn't really matter which agency, rightly or wrongly AD at 40 years in the public sector is perceived as average performance / CEP at best. Other than a sizable proportion of people there being scholars, the rest are either high performer/CEP from public sector or strong candidates from MNCs. It is just not a place for an average gov employee to make the switch. Cold water, but that's the truth.

this post sound very elitist. assistant director is already consider senior leadership & ts has done well to achieve that in 40 yo. of course if ur talking about ministers, perm sec etc. cannot fight, but every co. need more than ceo in order to work.

Unregistered 06-09-2015 11:32 AM

Ignorant post. AD role and responsibility varies across ministry and stat board. For e.g. in the POLY, AD is at PAX3, equal to MX10 upper range, cap at $10.5k. At that range, it is a lower rung DD in most ministry. Typical role is a department head and come with personal office room.

In some organisation, like some local uni, AD is actually quite low level with salary cap at $6.4k and is house in a cubicle. There you will find Senior AD as well.

In some ministry, fresh grad join as AD due to the job nature requiring a big title to meet external parties for impression sake.

Therefore, AD is very wide ranging, cannot just make a sweeping statement like that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 72352)

Unregistered 07-09-2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 72367)
Ignorant post. AD role and responsibility varies across ministry and stat board. For e.g. in the POLY, AD is at PAX3, equal to MX10 upper range, cap at $10.5k. At that range, it is a lower rung DD in most ministry. Typical role is a department head and come with personal office room.

In some organisation, like some local uni, AD is actually quite low level with salary cap at $6.4k and is house in a cubicle. There you will find Senior AD as well.

In some ministry, fresh grad join as AD due to the job nature requiring a big title to meet external parties for impression sake.

Therefore, AD is very wide ranging, cannot just make a sweeping statement like that.

It doesn't matter. For someone who is already 40, GIC will only hire people at around VP level. None of the examples you quoted are even remotely close to a VP level in GIC.

BTW using 10.5k max of AD in PAX3 poly is very misleading. You should be using bar values instead, max is often stretched highly to allow for a large number of people who have hit career ceiling. It does not in anyway represent what a typical AD makes.

Unregistered 26-10-2015 06:06 PM

GIC Professionals Programme

Anyone receive any reply from GIC for their Professionals Programme?