Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   GIC (Government of Singapore Investment Corporation) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/1646-government-singapore-investment-corporation-government-singapore-investment-corporation.html)

free 27-12-2011 01:27 AM

GIC (Government of Singapore Investment Corporation)

hi, need some advice on GIC, what is the starting pay like for fresh grad and.. how is the career prospect like?

Unregistered 27-12-2011 09:34 AM

Support function ~4.8k 5mths bonus
Portfolio function ~8k 7-9mths bonus

Unregistered 28-12-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free (Post 19093)
hi, need some advice on GIC, what is the starting pay like for fresh grad and.. how is the career prospect like?

It's not easy to get in as a fresh grad unless you've got excellent results... Good luck..

Unregistered 29-12-2011 10:20 AM

Was a couple of years into my career at a foreign bank when I received an email to go for their management associate program.

I thought it was a mid-career MA program but during the interview rounds I realised that they were also interviewing fresh grads. Big turn-off.

Program pay was 5k pm which (much lower than my last drawn) but supposedly moves up to 8k pm after 1st year.

Received some advice not to join GIC as it was the parking lot for government scholars. This meant that if you weren't a scholar, you'd be 2nd class citizen. Didn't sit well with me. My pov is to avoid such organisations. My advice is that private sector might be better (if you have the choice). Otherwise, start GIC and move out. I know of someone who did just that.

Goodluck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19100)
Support function ~4.8k 5mths bonus
Portfolio function ~8k 7-9mths bonus

Unregistered 02-01-2012 07:13 PM

anyone knows how much an associate and associate director earns in Temasek holdings?

Unregistered 03-01-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19297)
anyone knows how much an associate and associate director earns in Temasek holdings?

Was about $10 - 12 per month for associate & $15 to 18k per month for AD some time back. Not sure now.

Mid-career banker 11-08-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19302)
Was about $10 - 12 per month for associate & $15 to 18k per month for AD some time back. Not sure now.

Really? I'm in talks with Temasek now and I'm a mid-career entrant, I've asked for a pay that's less than 10k per month. Too little?

Unregistered 11-08-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mid-career banker (Post 27484)
Really? I'm in talks with Temasek now and I'm a mid-career entrant, I've asked for a pay that's less than 10k per month. Too little?

No mid career ask for <10k.

Portfolio side freshies will already exceed 10k within 2 years of joining

Unregistered 26-05-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19167)
Was a couple of years into my career at a foreign bank when I received an email to go for their management associate program.

I thought it was a mid-career MA program but during the interview rounds I realised that they were also interviewing fresh grads. Big turn-off.

Program pay was 5k pm which (much lower than my last drawn) but supposedly moves up to 8k pm after 1st year.

Received some advice not to join GIC as it was the parking lot for government scholars. This meant that if you weren't a scholar, you'd be 2nd class citizen. Didn't sit well with me. My pov is to avoid such organisations. My advice is that private sector might be better (if you have the choice). Otherwise, start GIC and move out. I know of someone who did just that.

Goodluck.

I have 5 years of experience and considering applying for their portfolio function.
Don't like joining big organization or government-linked. But the salary is too attractive. I wonder if I could get similar salary/perks if I join smaller investment firms?

Unregistered 26-05-2013 10:42 AM

can someone without a finance or investment background join GIC as a career change?

i currently have over 13 years experience in technology company, with experience in business development, project management and industry knowledge in telecommunications and transportation.

Unregistered 27-05-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37539)
can someone without a finance or investment background join GIC as a career change?

i currently have over 13 years experience in technology company, with experience in business development, project management and industry knowledge in telecommunications and transportation.

Any academic or professional achievement besides saying how many years you have been working?

Unregistered 27-05-2013 08:58 PM

TURNED natsly

Hi guys I'm a 30 yr old (worked for 5 years) from the infrastructure industry, with a BA from Oxford and Masters from UC Berkeley. Really keen to work in a SWF like GIC; would I be found suitable?

Unregistered 27-05-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37577)
Any academic or professional achievement besides saying how many years you have been working?

Degree in engineering, first class. Senior project manager level, basic pay $15500 monthly

Unregistered 28-05-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37638)
Degree in engineering, first class. Senior project manager level, basic pay $15500 monthly

I think you will need more for them to consider you. You are a little too old to be still citing a degree you got more than 12 years ago. Good thing is your pay is quite low for your years of exp, so in terms of remuneration should be ok.

Unregistered 28-05-2013 06:43 PM

turnowi thirty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37667)
I think you will need more for them to consider you. You are a little too old to be still citing a degree you got more than 12 years ago. Good thing is your pay is quite low for your years of exp, so in terms of remuneration should be ok.

Lol..the way you talk sounds like you have a first class or make more than him, which I'm sure you don't.

Unregistered 29-05-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37688)
Lol..the way you talk sounds like you have a first class or make more than him, which I'm sure you don't.

I'm not interested in engaging on a senseless salary shouting countest with you here, just stating reality. Are you the same project guy who wants to go GIC, if not I'm not sure what our conversation has to do with you?

For someone who wants to get into a SWF which is dominated by scholars, $15k salary is on the low side for someone at his age. I said it quite clearly this is postitive as at least budget becomes a non issue here.

It is also important to note that GIC is not your average GLC here, if he has no direct experience, there's got to be more to convince them to put him through. Citing a degree that was taken more than a decade ago just doesn't cut the mustard. Again just stating facts here.

Unregistered 08-07-2013 04:51 PM

pay for AVP and VP?

How much do GIC pay their AVP?

I am currently drawing 12k.

is it too much to ask for a 20% pay jump?

how much do they pay their VP?

this is for FO role

Unregistered 08-07-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39623)
How much do GIC pay their AVP?

I am currently drawing 12k.

is it too much to ask for a 20% pay jump?

how much do they pay their VP?

this is for FO role

VP - 20-28k
AVP - 15-20k

Unregistered 08-07-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39626)
VP - 20-28k
AVP - 15-20k

thanks I have 5 yrs exp..

the post advertised said avp/vp, I was was wondering if I can ask for the VP post instead of AVP..

also should I tell them how much I am currently getting?

Unregistered 08-07-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39627)

the post advertised said avp/vp, I was was wondering if I can ask for the VP post instead of AVP..

5 yrs exp only? it's unlikely you will go in as a VP.

care to elaborate what your 5 yr exp is in?

No Wonder 09-07-2013 01:31 AM

Now we know why CPF interest rates are so low

because the "stellar" returns of GIC and Temasek have
been used to pay u guys' obscene salaries.

Unregistered 09-07-2013 05:44 AM

This person need to be brought back to earth. He/she is speaking as if GIC (& this forum) belongs to him/her. Stating facts? More like ********ting. Certainly needs a tight slap on the face.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37713)
I'm not interested in engaging on a senseless salary shouting countest with you here, just stating reality. Are you the same project guy who wants to go GIC, if not I'm not sure what our conversation has to do with you?

For someone who wants to get into a SWF which is dominated by scholars, $15k salary is on the low side for someone at his age. I said it quite clearly this is postitive as at least budget becomes a non issue here.

It is also important to note that GIC is not your average GLC here, if he has no direct experience, there's got to be more to convince them to put him through. Citing a degree that was taken more than a decade ago just doesn't cut the mustard. Again just stating facts here.

Unregistered 09-07-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39627)

VP can aim abt 23-25k, but 5 yrs exp maybe ask for 20k leave them to decide to give you avp or vp. AVP max is 25k and overlap with vp range of 20-35k.

Unregistered 11-07-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39655)
VP can aim abt 23-25k, but 5 yrs exp maybe ask for 20k leave them to decide to give you avp or vp. AVP max is 25k and overlap with vp range of 20-35k.

I only getting 12k now you sure i can ask for 20k?

Unregistered 12-07-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39773)
I only getting 12k now you sure i can ask for 20k?

you sound like you already have an offer... worry about it WHEN you get it la. no point stressing when you may not even make the cut.

akhhuat 13-07-2013 08:49 AM

Joining temasek

hi guys,

i'm a current life sciences graduate with excellent grades and track record. i'm interested in going into the investment sector. how are my chances of entering temasek holdings?

thanks in advance

GICer 13-07-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhhuat (Post 39859)
hi guys,

i'm a current life sciences graduate with excellent grades and track record. i'm interested in going into the investment sector. how are my chances of entering temasek holdings?

thanks in advance

If you have no relevant working experience, forget it. Even if you did, you'd probably need to be an A-lister. In any case you would be among a lot of government scholars so it would be a huge uphill push to stand out from among them.

akhhuat 13-07-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GICer (Post 39861)
If you have no relevant working experience, forget it. Even if you did, you'd probably need to be an A-lister. In any case you would be among a lot of government scholars so it would be a huge uphill push to stand out from among them.

Ok. Are there successful cases of fresh graduates from other disciplines joining temasek? What do they look out for in these non business school graduates?

singapore granddad 13-07-2013 07:58 PM

GIC thieves

So now I see how ordinary Singaporeans money is being used to pay the obscene salaries of GIC staff, when its investment losses are such that a monkey pushing BUY/SELL button at random make better gains. And you think yourself smart/A Lister/dean's list crap??

More like smart at legally cheating the ordinary folks who actually do REAL work to eke out a living. karma will turn around and pay those in kind for every single dollar of blood money 'earned'. AVP at 25k, my a**

GICer 14-07-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhhuat (Post 39864)
Ok. Are there successful cases of fresh graduates from other disciplines joining temasek? What do they look out for in these non business school graduates?

I don't wish to reveal too much of hiring practices - you are best served looking at the GIC careers website to get a feel of the requirements.

You might be able to get a support services position, but if you think you'll be allowed to have a part in managing a (tiny) part of the hundred of billions of dollars of funds with no formal financial education OR relevant experience, think again.

Unregistered 14-07-2013 04:49 AM

b*****y h** GIC

b*****y h** GIC and temasek use our money to pay so much for their staff. Give us higher returns for our CPF!

Unregistered 15-07-2013 10:57 AM

It is possible for non-finance ppl to join GIC as corporate support function, my colleague recently just went over there as VP. But the pay is lower than FO, basic only 18k+.

Unregistered 15-07-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39892)
It is possible for non-finance ppl to join GIC as corporate support function, my colleague recently just went over there as VP. But the pay is lower than FO, basic only 18k+.

why so low. can't GIC match the pay?

akhhuat 15-07-2013 03:27 PM

How about internship opportunities for fresh local non-business graduates? What does temasek look for? Usually, when does the internship begin?

Thanks!

Unregistered 22-07-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39818)
you sound like you already have an offer... worry about it WHEN you get it la. no point stressing when you may not even make the cut.

you are right, i didnt make the cut

liveevil 12-09-2013 10:49 AM

Any idea how much is the basic monthly salary for an AVP role in the risk/strategy department?

Unregistered 13-09-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liveevil (Post 42318)
Any idea how much is the basic monthly salary for an AVP role in the risk/strategy department?

14-18k depending on experience.

Unregistered 17-09-2013 03:27 PM

What's the prospect of a journalist (5 yrs exp in international media) crossing over into GIC for crisis communications/PR roles?

Cheers.

Unregistered 18-09-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 42504)
What's the prospect of a journalist (5 yrs exp in international media) crossing over into GIC for crisis communications/PR roles?

Cheers.

Could be AVP/VP level depending on your experience, 16-20k basic

Unregistered 25-09-2013 10:37 PM

Is it possible for a foreigner to get a position in risk department? Is there any restriction about the nationality, as the risk function is a little bit sensitive usually?