Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   NTU (non-faculty) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/1401-nanyang-technological-university-non-faculty.html)

undiscern 06-07-2011 01:01 AM

NTU (non-faculty)

Yeah, non-faculty staff. As Mgr, Snr Mgr, AD, SAD onwards.. How is the work culture like at NTU, specifically in the admin offices (OT)? I heard there are quite a handful of former colonels there? Military style?

I understand that it is no longer a stat board, this means that it no longer enjoy the government annual bonus declaration on top of the usual AWS & PB. True?

From the forum, it seems like the average PB is about 2mths for those in government or stat board. So far how is the PB at NTU?

Promotion prospect/rate?

Kum Sia very much!

Unregistered 06-07-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undiscern (Post 13930)
Yeah, non-faculty staff. As Mgr, Snr Mgr, AD, SAD onwards.. How is the work culture like at NTU, specifically in the admin offices (OT)? I heard there are quite a handful of former colonels there? Military style?

I understand that it is no longer a stat board, this means that it no longer enjoy the government annual bonus declaration on top of the usual AWS & PB. True?

From the forum, it seems like the average PB is about 2mths for those in government or stat board. So far how is the PB at NTU?

Promotion prospect/rate?

Kum Sia very much!

NTU is very big, so work culture depends on which department you are in, and whether you are with the Schools (faculties), or with central administration. I would say it is a bureaucratic place. Not a related point, but there are many ex-civil servants servants in the administration.

NTU pays PB and a 13th month bonus. It doesn't pay the variable bonus declared by the govt in June and December. The PB in NTU varies year to year, depending on the state of the economy, it seems. The average performer gets less than 2 months last year, closer to 1 month for the more junior staff. Civil service seems to pay better bonuses. This year's PB has not been paid.

Is there a way to broaden this thread to include all the local universities?

miwashi 06-07-2011 09:12 AM

When I was working at nus last time, there wasn't a 13th month bonus. Only PB.

undiscern 06-07-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13936)
NTU is very big, so work culture depends on which department you are in, and whether you are with the Schools (faculties), or with central administration. I would say it is a bureaucratic place. Not a related point, but there are many ex-civil servants servants in the administration.

NTU pays PB and a 13th month bonus. It doesn't pay the variable bonus declared by the govt in June and December. The PB in NTU varies year to year, depending on the state of the economy, it seems. The average performer gets less than 2 months last year, closer to 1 month for the more junior staff. Civil service seems to pay better bonuses. This year's PB has not been paid.

Is there a way to broaden this thread to include all the local universities?

Thanks for the info. The PB is quite so so compared to civil & public service. Avg performer is about 2-2.5mths which is quite standard. So it seems like there is no 'adjustment' in view of it goin autonomous and away from gov bonus.

Any idea on the annual increment? 4-5%?

Understand from somewhere that the salary scale there is different from Goverment MX scheme. I heard some sort of E1 to E4, M1 to M4? E1 is for diploma holder?

But apparently they have similar MSO scheme like gov sector.

undiscern 06-07-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 13937)
When I was working at nus last time, there wasn't a 13th month bonus. Only PB.

You are working in admin? MSO scheme or executive scheme? I heard from friend there is 13th mth for mgrs. How is the PB?

Unregistered 06-07-2011 01:04 PM

There was a pay adjustment some years back when the university moved away from the civil service scheme and government declared bonuses. The annual increment is also so-so, definitely less than 4% for average performer. I think E1 to E3 is for diploma holders, but I'm not sure.

miwashi 06-07-2011 01:36 PM

as far as I know they only have 2 schemes - admin staff and academic staff. My colleagues were the same as me, no 13th month bonus. Our manager was also classed as admin staff, the manager title was a sort of local rank in the office.

undiscern 06-07-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13947)
There was a pay adjustment some years back when the university moved away from the civil service scheme and government declared bonuses. The annual increment is also so-so, definitely less than 4% for average performer. I think E1 to E3 is for diploma holders, but I'm not sure.

Looking at their directory, they have Executive, Higher Executive, Asst Mgr, Mgr, Snr Mgr, AD, SAD, DD, D

Not sure how it is mapped to the E1-E4 & M1-M4 scale. Looking at the recruitment, Executive seems to be entry for Dip holders.

Unregistered 06-07-2011 05:50 PM

Fresh graduates start off as Asst Manager, and placed, I think, on E4.

undiscern 06-07-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13962)
Fresh graduates start off as Asst Manager, and placed, I think, on E4.

Could be a grey area, looking at this ad:
Executive Officer/Higher Executive Officer (HR) job - NTU – School of Humanities and Social Sciences

Dip holder will be Executive, Degree Holder will be Higher Executive