Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   SEA (Garena) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/12623-sea-garena.html)

JobSeekerr 06-05-2020 10:03 PM

SEA (Garena)

Have an interview for a FP&A role in garena sometime next month. Currently have 2 years experience working in a big 4 as an auditor

Anyone or senior working there mind sharing what is the market rate, and what is a reasonable salary expectation and progression there is in the company?

Also, if anyone can share the culture working in garena or Shopee I would really appreciate it! Can’t seem to find anything online since it’s a relatively new company.

Unregistered 07-05-2020 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JobSeekerr (Post 133418)
Have an interview for a FP&A role in garena sometime next month. Currently have 2 years experience working in a big 4 as an auditor

Anyone or senior working there mind sharing what is the market rate, and what is a reasonable salary expectation and progression there is in the company?

Also, if anyone can share the culture working in garena or Shopee I would really appreciate it! Can’t seem to find anything online since it’s a relatively new company.

SEA finance team starting pay is 3.8k for non-MAs so 2 years experience can expect maybe 4.3-4.6k

Unregistered 23-05-2020 02:45 PM

Hi, does anyone know how is the interview process like? and how many rounds of interviews there will be?

Unregistered 23-05-2020 10:03 PM

guys don't join SEA they are bleeding money and losing 900 millions a year, when the funding stops all of us will be out of job. this is their 5th consecutive year of losses.

i just jumped over to another tech firm and the structure here is much better. people are nicer (less wayang) and the pay is higher.

seriously, if you have a choice, don't join sea/shopee/any of its subsidiaries.

Unregistered 23-05-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134973)
guys don't join SEA they are bleeding money and losing 900 millions a year, when the funding stops all of us will be out of job. this is their 5th consecutive year of losses.

i just jumped over to another tech firm and the structure here is much better. people are nicer (less wayang) and the pay is higher.

seriously, if you have a choice, don't join sea/shopee/any of its subsidiaries.

SEA isnt losing money, it's just Shopee untill they dominate the whole of southeast asia. Even so, Shopee is paying big bucks so should join them while the punch bowl is still serving.

Unregistered 23-05-2020 11:51 PM

anyone can share the culture, promotion, increment opportunities in Shopee?

Would be great if you can share in specific about the PM team. Thanks in advance :)

Unregistered 24-05-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134976)
SEA isnt losing money, it's just Shopee untill they dominate the whole of southeast asia. Even so, Shopee is paying big bucks so should join them while the punch bowl is still serving.

please learn to read financial statements.

here, i'll help you.

s://cdngarenanow-a.akamaihd.net/webmain/static/resource/seagroup/press/2020-04-14%20-%20Form%2020-F.PDF

scroll to page 157.

SEA Group
2017: 558mil LOSS
2018: 957mil LOSS
2019: 1.472bil LOSS

also, look up on how to read consolidated statements of comprehensive income/loss.

source: s://.seagroup.com/investor/annualreport

Unregistered 26-05-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134976)

lol this thread is on FP&A but this dude can't read financial statements! wow!!

Unregistered 26-05-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135030)
please learn to read financial statements.

here, i'll help you.

s://cdngarenanow-a.akamaihd.net/webmain/static/resource/seagroup/press/2020-04-14%20-%20Form%2020-F.PDF

scroll to page 157.

SEA Group
2017: 558mil LOSS
2018: 957mil LOSS
2019: 1.472bil LOSS

also, look up on how to read consolidated statements of comprehensive income/loss.

source: s://.seagroup.com/investor/annualreport

pls learn to read segment reporting

Unregistered 26-05-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135242)
pls learn to read segment reporting

Not the person you are replying to, but could you elaborate further on segment reporting? Basically, how to read the numbers in the report? Looks like big losses to an average Joe

Unregistered 26-05-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135254)
Not the person you are replying to, but could you elaborate further on segment reporting? Basically, how to read the numbers in the report? Looks like big losses to an average Joe

SEA comprises of three main but separate segments. Garena (gaming), Shopee (ecommerce) and SeaMoney (Financial Svcs). Under FRS/IFRS rules, they are required to disclose the key performance for each segment separately. You can get a sense of how each segment are performing by looking at these numbers.

While it is true that SEA (on a consol level) is making losses, these losses primarily stem from Shopee. This is typical for start-ups in the period of growth. Whether this is sustainable or not is another question.

So, it will be unfair and inaccurate to say that just because SEA is making losses on a consol level, the entire SEA is a lousy company.

Unregistered 26-05-2020 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135270)
SEA comprises of three main but separate segments. Garena (gaming), Shopee (ecommerce) and SeaMoney (Financial Svcs). Under FRS/IFRS rules, they are required to disclose the key performance for each segment separately. You can get a sense of how each segment are performing by looking at these numbers.

While it is true that SEA (on a consol level) is making losses, these losses primarily stem from Shopee. This is typical for start-ups in the period of growth. Whether this is sustainable or not is another question.

So, it will be unfair and inaccurate to say that just because SEA is making losses on a consol level, the entire SEA is a lousy company.

I see, thanks a lot for the explanation!

Unregistered 26-05-2020 06:48 PM

Would you work for Tesla? Tesla was bleeding cash for several years but has since became profitable.

Look at their stock price.

Now look at SEA stock price >> reflection of a high growth company

Unregistered 26-05-2020 08:49 PM

How can sea possibly compete with Amazon or Alibaba in the e-commerce scene. (Amazon is pretty much available worldwide, Alibaba- taobao is also a big player in the e-commerce scene in Asia)?

Unregistered 26-05-2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135270)

yeah come on, seamoney (formerly airpay) is equally sh!t la hor

nothing except garena is good.
and the only saving grace is league of legends.

so you wanna buy into sea group just for 1 online multiplayer game? LEL

Unregistered 27-05-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135312)
How can sea possibly compete with Amazon or Alibaba in the e-commerce scene. (Amazon is pretty much available worldwide, Alibaba- taobao is also a big player in the e-commerce scene in Asia)?

Well, Amazon got kicked in the teeth in China so bad that they can to move out of the country.

In SEA, the fight is still on-going and while there are many players like Lazada, Shopee is doing well enough on it's own.

Unregistered 27-05-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135323)
yeah come on, seamoney (formerly airpay) is equally sh!t la hor

nothing except garena is good.
and the only saving grace is league of legends.

so you wanna buy into sea group just for 1 online multiplayer game? LEL

Work at Riot Games SG if you wanna focus on LoL.

Unregistered 02-07-2020 04:48 PM

don't need talk so much. just see this, fresh from the oven

s://.businesstimes.com.sg/garage/brokers-take-dbs-downgrades-sea-to-sell-on-e-wallet-drag-rich-valuations?utm_source=telegram&utm_medium=social-organic

Unregistered 21-01-2021 10:47 PM

lol where are all the people who were trashing SEA?

Unregistered 04-04-2021 02:38 PM

Progression, salary, culture? Anyone?

Unregistered 04-04-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 163761)
Progression, salary, culture? Anyone?

Don't have an exact figure, but SEA is very willing to pay. Meaning it's usually competitive rates. However the big problem would lie in the culture. Majority of Sea/Shopee/Garena's workforce are Chinese, so communications within the company is usually in Mandarin, which may pose a problem for many Singaporeans (sad to say this). In addition, it has a workaholic culture so many people stays late at night to complete projects. I'm not from Sea, but these are observations from many real life accounts of my network who has worked under Sea.

Unregistered 04-04-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 163762)
Don't have an exact figure, but SEA is very willing to pay. Meaning it's usually competitive rates. However the big problem would lie in the culture. Majority of Sea/Shopee/Garena's workforce are Chinese, so communications within the company is usually in Mandarin, which may pose a problem for many Singaporeans (sad to say this). In addition, it has a workaholic culture so many people stays late at night to complete projects. I'm not from Sea, but these are observations from many real life accounts of my network who has worked under Sea.

6.5-8k starting salary

Unregistered 04-04-2021 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 163766)
6.5-8k starting salary

More like 3-4K.

Unregistered 04-04-2021 07:35 PM

How much is garena bonus and when is it paid out? Jan?

Unregistered 04-04-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 163783)
How much is garena bonus and when is it paid out? Jan?

6-8 months

Unregistered 12-04-2021 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 163777)
More like 3-4K.

you have no idea. Shopee recently poached a lot developer, product manger from banks.

would be more effective to attack from work/life balance perspective, but never challenge pay of tech unicorn.

Unregistered 13-04-2021 08:22 PM

what's their bonus like? any 13th mth/AWS?

who are eligible for stock options?

Unregistered 13-04-2021 09:27 PM

Former Big 4 auditor here. Seems like SEA loves to recruit auditors in their ranks. Heard from many others that the hours are quite bad (not as bad as audit though).

Had a first round of interview with SEA's HR. Was warned by HR that the second round will be a tough interview because there will be technical questions to answer. They even asked me to get ready a pen and paper to "work out solutions" during the second round of interview. Felt that this was quite odd - as if we are students taking an examination.

Their HR seemed pretty disorganised and took quite long to schedule the second round of interview. By the time I was scheduled for the 2nd round, I got another offer from some other company and informed SEA HR that I wouldn't be proceeding with the 2nd round of interview anymore. SEA HR didn't even have the courtesy to reply or acknowledge.

Seems like the company is in a big mess. Not sure if this is common for a "start-up" company.

Unregistered 13-04-2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 163766)
6.5-8k starting salary

No way is it 6.5k-8k please. Where on earth did you read that?
Salary is about 4.8-5k for a someone working in Finance with about 3-years work experience in a Big 4 firm.

Unregistered 13-04-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165389)
Former Big 4 auditor here. Seems like SEA loves to recruit auditors in their ranks. Heard from many others that the hours are quite bad (not as bad as audit though).

Had a first round of interview with SEA's HR. Was warned by HR that the second round will be a tough interview because there will be technical questions to answer. They even asked me to get ready a pen and paper to "work out solutions" during the second round of interview. Felt that this was quite odd - as if we are students taking an examination.

Their HR seemed pretty disorganised and took quite long to schedule the second round of interview. By the time I was scheduled for the 2nd round, I got another offer from some other company and informed SEA HR that I wouldn't be proceeding with the 2nd round of interview anymore. SEA HR didn't even have the courtesy to reply or acknowledge.

Seems like the company is in a big mess. Not sure if this is common for a "start-up" company.

Same experience here. They have a very young employee base between their 20s and 30s. Including their HR. Rude af during the interview somemore, texting, replying chat during interview, never felt so disrespected before across all my interviews. Manage to land second round interview, but i told them "No thank you, I'm not interested anymore"

Unregistered 13-04-2021 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165401)
Same experience here. They have a very young employee base between their 20s and 30s. Including their HR. Rude af during the interview somemore, texting, replying chat during interview, never felt so disrespected before across all my interviews. Manage to land second round interview, but i told them "No thank you, I'm not interested anymore"

Were you interviewed by a smu graduate with a very weird angmoh name one and has a twin? I also got a similar experience with you

Unregistered 13-04-2021 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165403)
Were you interviewed by a smu graduate with a very weird angmoh name one and has a twin? I also got a similar experience with you

Yeah but i can't remember what's her name already.

SEA group should really reconsider hiring her though, show total disrespect to the interviewee and portraying a bad image for SEA.

The other interviewer present was better.

Unregistered 14-04-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165390)
No way is it 6.5k-8k please. Where on earth did you read that?
Salary is about 4.8-5k for a someone working in Finance with about 3-years work experience in a Big 4 firm.

Are you the big 4 person who replied earlier? If 4.8k why did you jump from big4? I'm sure big4 pay is same if not more

Unregistered 14-04-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165453)
Are you the big 4 person who replied earlier? If 4.8k why did you jump from big4? I'm sure big4 pay is same if not more

Big 4 start at 3-3.2k. Senior associate only around 4k ish with shitty wlb

Unregistered 14-04-2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165407)
Yeah but i can't remember what's her name already.

SEA group should really reconsider hiring her though, show total disrespect to the interviewee and portraying a bad image for SEA.

The other interviewer present was better.

She fking ugly one and recently got engaged. Pity the boyfriend. Should make her preg and dump her

Unregistered 14-04-2021 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165457)
She fking ugly one and recently got engaged. Pity the boyfriend. Should make her preg and dump her

is it lynette wong?

Unregistered 15-04-2021 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165453)

Yes I was earning 4.8k from Big 4. As I mentioned I went through the first round of interview (as I had not much info about the pay then) and got offered second round but I rejected it. I went somewhere else (instead of SEA) which paid me a decent increment from my Big 4 pay.

Unregistered 15-04-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165454)
Big 4 start at 3-3.2k. Senior associate only around 4k ish with shitty wlb

Big 4
A1 3000
A2 3250
SA1 4150 (avg performer) / 4200 (high performer)
SA2 4750(avg performer) / 4800 (high performer)

Not sure the exact amounts for AM onwards because I resigned at SA2

Unregistered 15-04-2021 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165622)
Big 4
A1 3000
A2 3250

Didn’t know there’s a 50 difference in base based on performance haha.

Which colour and did you managed to reach SA2 in 4 years? Or < 4 years!

Unregistered 15-04-2021 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 165622)
Big 4
A1 3000
A2 3250

Didn’t know there’s a 50 difference in base based on performance haha.

Which colour and did you managed to reach SA2 in 4 years? Or < 4 years?