Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Working in a bank
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Unregistered

i am an honors graduate from one of the local universities. Gotten into deans' list couple of times, did an overseas stint at a european university and participated actively in some academic activities. my tutors know me by name and the deans write letters of recommendation for me. gotten into some average bank to do a senseless internship and regretted not getting anywhere else instead.

now im looking for a job. but i dont feel confident even with my CV, because i am average. I know the finance literature well, i know the terminology, i've got my personal valuation models built complete with codes. i felt i've got everything when i'm in school.

but that's because competition was school-wide. a couple of hundreds.

now i step into the working world with doubts. competition has stiffened, hundreds of times. my CV is compared not across Singapore but throughout the world. people everywhere are looking for jobs. graduates are everywhere.

it leaves me helpless sometimes, when i compare myself to others outside. whats so special about me?

eric, one word of advice for you.
you're not competing with just the people around you. instead, you're competing with the world. the recruiter has to find something special about you, not just any "i'm inspired by the quick pace of life in FO, or i have experience in my own trading account." you need to be SPECIAL. find that quality in you that nobody else has, at least in the people around you right now. use that quality to convince HR that they will regret if they lose you.

remember, its not just "i'm diligent in my work. i'm careful with numbers. i'm a team worker."
HR probably has 999 reponses like that out of that 1000 applications. Inspire them with your one quality and back your claim with solid instances. And should they not appreciate that, simply walk away because it will be their loss instead.

Good luck!

AP