Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 29-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have friends who did the GLB, most of them only managed to secure TCs with small or medium firms. Only one person who was on the deans list once got into big 4. Somehow the GLBs just didn't do well enough in school, didn't get placed on dean's list, didn't do well in moots.
In my 2nd year of practice here from NUS, I know many of the GLBs from my cohort (friends or acquaintances). I think the sample size of the GLB intake is too small to make any such form of generalisation. And they only do 3 years so there's less opportunity for them to land some form of awards or prizes or dean's list etc.

The truth of the matter is that these years have been the worst time to graduate as a law student in recent memory, and many firms in Singapore are facing challenging economic times. Beneath the veneer of glitz and prestige that even some of the big firms are presenting, they are desperately cost cutting and tightening their budget.

It amazes me how ignorant we all were about the structural & economic challenges in the market when we were students...the very same market that all of us were vying so hard to get into. These are the things they don't tell you at Careers Fair.

The difficulty that we faced as students landing a TC was but a taste of how poorly the market is doing, compared to pre GFC (2008). We have solid second Uppers and Firsts from reputable UK universities failing to get into the big 4.

What's more, many of my peers who did land a big 4 TC didn't survive the cut for retention and have been floating around small to mid sized firms.

Hopefully the GLBs & JDs soon graduating are motivated by more than prestige and money, because due to luck of the draw or lack of a crystal ball, they are coming into a poor time to be a jobseeker in this market. If they're chaps who switched to law as a second career, hopefully they are mature enough to have more internalised reasons to become lawyers than just purely prestige, because they sure as hell took a big hit in opportunity cost with high risk and poor odds for a good ROI.