Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Calling it quits!
View Single Post
Old 27-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Verified Member

BusinessSingapore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for the detailed sharing Whizzard. I always able to pick up some learning points from your posting and I appreciate it.

Your recurring passive income of $500k is a good guide. My family requires a much lower number for our lifestyle but for prudence purposes (medical, inflation, help for relatives etc.), I think $500k annual passive income is a good target to strive for before "calling it quits" in my case. I could then spend more time to contribute back to the society without having to worry about the well-being of my family.

Happy to know that you were a unitholder of Viva as well. I got allocated quite a number of Viva units during the IPO and as you said, the price went down and stayed below IPO price for a (long) period of time but I am not too worried as the dividend was good while my total investment in Viva is relatively small (sub-$100k). In fact I am still holding on to the units until today although the price has gone up a bit ($0.915 versus IPO price of $0.78). I am inclined to continue holding so as to avoid adding to my headache of deploying the sale proceeds. With the run up in the stock prices, it is increasingly difficult to find good investment opportunities. Generally if the stocks do not give me sufficient "margin of safety", they are unlikely to interest me however good their underlying businesses. That is why I missed out big time on the tech stocks (Facebook, Alibaba, Tencents, etc.), haha. However, no regrets though because I agreed that "peace of mind" is priceless. I already have enough stress from work.

I hope you can continue your posting to share with us your journey and experience. Thanks Whizzard!
There is still massive value in tech stocks. Although valuations are higher earnings remain healthy. I've recently doubled my exposure to tech to 8% of my portfolio(still under double digit). Started with 2% one year ago.

You let go of US stocks too fast, don't buy stories published by the mainstream media, they are blinded by the hate they hold for republicans. I try to filter the hate news and look for US policies that will invigorate the economy which the news don't report.

Once obamacare appeal becomes successful, it will be followed by tax reforms. This my friend is a time for killing.