Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - am I underpaid?
Thread: am I underpaid?
View Single Post
Old 24-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

Default severely underpaid

Hi there...

I honestly do think you're severely underpaid for a grad from a prestigious uni. Unfortunately, you may call it bad luck, you graduated in a very bad year. Everything was down, $$ down, jobs down. Demanding requirements with low starting pay..

I started my 1st full time job in 2006 @ $1500/mth. with 1mth AWS.
2nd year increased to $1600/mth. Pathetic, i know.
Hated my boring stagnant job. I decided to look elsewhere. Count myself lucky. I had a blessing when my next jump was $2600/mth and within less than 2mths, i got confirmed and got $2800/mth doing Administrative support. Plus annual variable bonus..
3.5years down the road, here i am, still in this role. Am getting ~$4500/mth.
This all happened while i was doing my part time deg, expecting to grad this year.

Although, much is about the $$$, but i'm seriously sick of the scope i do on a day-to-day basis. And i do not wish to be labelled as an Admin Assistant for the rest of my life. I need a change. But i dont know how else to move from where i am to where i want to be. Plus, with the pay i'm currently drawing, I'm sure many junior role will require a pay cut which is quite hard to swallow.

I guess i'm still pinning on LUCK. Hoping that something will fall onto my lap like how it happened 3.5years back. And you really need a good boss. Someone who will recognise your efforts and help you up!

Good luck. Nothing is impossible. I'm some what on the same boat as you now..