Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment
View Single Post
Old 27-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I love how this forum allows unregistered postings, which allows for unbashful disclosure and sharing. Just sharing a part of my professional life below, hoping it would benefit someone out there:

2011 - Big 4 audit - associate 1 - 2,800 (bonus 1.15)
2012 - Big 4 audit - associate 2 - 3,200 (bonus 0)
2013 - Bank – treasury analyst - 3,800 (bonus 0)
2014 - Consultancy firm - associate - 4,500 (bonus 6)
2015 - Consultancy firm – asst manager – 6,000 (bonus 8)
2016 - Consultancy firm – manager – 8,000 (bonus 5.5)

Big 4 audit:
During my first year in big4, it was amazing, because no where else gives you a ‘cohort’ scenario of 50-100 odd people coming in at the same time. I have made lifelong friends there. Everything else in the big4? Hated it. Audit was just not for me somehow. I was underperforming, slept on the job, produced poor quality of work, and senior manager had his daily shouting sessions criticising my work. In all honesty, he had the right to. During my second year as an A2, I was told that I would not be promoted. Depression hit and I resigned in a heartbeat.

Bank analyst:
Comfortable hours, ending 6-630 everyday. Had OT pay of (35 dollars/hour) clocking in after 6PM. Day in day out just churning bank reports. However I only lasted 6 months there. Too rigid and boring. Learning curve was non-existing.

Consulting:
Took two steps back by joining as accountant in a corporate advisory firm. Things took a turn. Work was interesting, worked my arse off because I wanted to. All of a sudden, concerns over hours/salary/politics just melts away because job satisfaction just kicks in. Before I knew it, I was promoted every year and working on interesting deals, including op/financial restructuring, refinancing and currently working to IPO a turned-around company now.

My takeaway from all this – The big4 is not cut out for everyone but on the other hand, it might provide you the learning experience both on a professional and personal basis to move on to the next milestone in life.
******** bonus