Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Data Analytics
Thread: Data Analytics
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not really long. Have been sending since October but wasn't that aggressive in spamming resumes. Reason was I couldn't find much entry level jobs in analytics or perhaps I'm looking at the wrong direction. Most of the analytics requires around 2 years of experience. Recently I'm contemplating to just join MO in banks, which isn't something that I'm actually interested in. I'm interested in this field but if the salary in this field is facing the same fate as other IT or engineering jobs, then I guess it's time for me to reconsider going this path. Most of my friends went into consulting so I guess that's why I feel that I'm even more underpaid compared to them.
Well you can try your luck in consulting as well. I think MBB is no chance, but those tier 2 types like OW or Aon may be possible. Consulting is different, for their kind of hours it is debatable whether their salary is high or just doing OT.

As for banking MO, it's a possibility. But like I said the starting isn't fantastic either, so you should think carefully whether it is worth to do something you don't like in the first place just because they pay you 5-10% higher. Skills in MO not very portable, so it is not easy to move into corporate finance or strategy in other industries.

MO people tend to stay within MO or BO (some banks don't differentiate) and you will really be stuck doing something you don't like for the long term. At your age, you shouldn't be taking up jobs that you have no interest just for that extra few hundred a month. Think long term and gather experience that you need.