Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - I am worried about my future
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Marriage and finance are unavoidably intertwined. No matter how deep the love is, the foundation must be strong. And one of the cornerstones of a strong foundation of a good marriage is money - like it or not.

The ROM reported that a large of percentage of divorces in Singapore was due to financial issues, mostly the lack of money.

Building up your family finances early in married life is key to having a blissful life later in your marriage when the "love" element has lost its magic or is not as strong.

My wife and I have been married for close to 30 years and thankfully money has never been a worry for us except in 1998. It was the Asian financial crisis and we had just upgraded to a condo and taken on a huge loan as well as emptied our CPF money into the home. It was stressful times where we were worried about jobs and deciding on the schools for our young children. There were quarrels but we held on and now 18 years later, our children have started work, our loans all paid up and things are looking up for us. We are still working although we could retire and just live off our passive income.

If the wife is concerned about money, assure her. She needs financial security for herself and her children. I would rather have such a wife than one who is a spendthrift! You may not realize this, but once you are able to show/convince your wife that you can take of her and the family financially, she will be more relaxed and loving.
Thanks for sharing this. I do agree, especially the last paragraph.