Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 24-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1) Job hunting begins first day you begin your degree. Tons of people only start this process at their final year which is too late.
I agree with most of these guy's advice. But pertaining to the above, I just give my opinion which was beneficial to me.

Job hunting, and by that I mean actual job hunting of polishing up resume and sending it to employers, begins on your second last year. So if you're in 3 year program, start on your 2nd year, 4 year program, start on your 3rd year.

Sure, you can always start early. And you can always party, which please do not do. But I believe you should use your time in university before job hunting to focus on the academics. Strive to learn as much, if you're thinking of pursuing a technical role, and work towards a high GPA.

Job hunting is like admin - formatting resume, polishing key words, writing over letter, networking, sending out resumes on the company website. You need to make yourself a finished and refined product for your employers. By focusing on the academics, you'll internalize the knowledge needed to perform on the interview and subsequently on the job. It is only through focusing on just the academics will you internalize the material.

I've learnt that I'm more comfortable talking about markets and trading when I have internalized the knowledge, not when I've nailed an interview and studied the night before. The latter wouldn't equip you with a good grounding of the last five economic crises which when discussed to the interviewer could get you the job. Studying would.

In short, you got 3 years in university. Just STUDY and keep up a GPA on your first year. People don't get quality internships in your first summer anyway. Then when the job hunting comes, you'll feel much more confident with the knowledge, and hopefully with the 4.0 GPA.