Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - how to become an university lecturer
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXYZ View Post
Hi all,
Quite new here.
I'm offered a teaching scholarship (L) but choosing to go down the path of doing my BSc in Mathematical Sciences in NTU first, then PGDE. Walking down a longer path towards teaching but I want to stay relevant to the outside world (As mentioned by you guys that BEd is relatively useless)

Hope you guys can address this: Is there any way to progress from being a teaching scholar to a uni prof?
I have a interest in Math and I enjoy teaching as well ( giving 1-1 tuition in my own time). But I would also like to do my Masters (and hopefully PhD) in cryptography/ number theory.

Hope you guys can assist! Cheers
There is no such linear progression. Being a uni prof, majority of your workload will be research, not teaching. So being an MOE teacher does not help you become a uni prof at all. What you need is a Phd. The path for most top researchers is this:

4 year Bsc(graduate with first class)>Phd 5-6 years(publish 1 or 2 papers while you're at it)> Tenure-track Asst Prof(8-years, publish a lot)> Assoc Prof(Publish more, undetermined number of years) > Full tenured prof.

As you can see, there is no where that being an MOE teacher fits. Being an MOE teacher means no time or means to do rigorous academic research. It will be faster if you just do your Phd right after you graduate instead of working at MOE.