Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 23-04-2016, 10:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nepotism is when someone in a position of power or influence, gives favor to his relatives or friends.

If your friends or relatives are not holding power nor holding any influential position in the company, then they cannot be deciding on your employment. In that case, they cannot be practicing nepotism.

Many companies encouraged and even reward their employees to recommend friends and relatives to join them. The employment of these friends and relatives still depend on their credentials and experience. If they are employed based on their own merits, then it is not nepotism. Certainly it will help if the recommender is highly regarded by the company as the company would probably give higher weightage to his recommendation.
Yeah when I say nepotism, I am referring to people with power and holding influential position in the company.

Even if they don't have the power, by recommending friends and relatives to people with power within, so that their relative and friends can join them based on their personal merit is also know as nepotism. indirect nepotism.

Its not very fair to people who work on their CV and sending in their CV and resume with no relatives and friends within. And this is the reason why fresh grads (regardless of their merit) keep sending in their resume with no respond. Because the company is too too busy with the amount of recommendation, and 99% of the time, jobs vacancy goes to these who are recommended. People with pride will not usually seek Nepotism, either directly or indirectly. Hence you also see many honours degree peeps here unable to secure a job. lolz

Nepotism either directly or indirectly is the culture of many engineering company in Singapore. and this is also true for many govt organizations I believe.