Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 23-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am sure that for you and your friends case, nepotism is involved. because many of my Singaporean friends >10 in engineering can't even get an interview for a job through submitting their resume. Probably got rejected due to whatever reason. Nepotism is very common in Singapore... if you understand what I mean. haha
This is not true. The poster is right to say that most engineering local grads are getting jobs with quite good packages. I'm from engineering too so I can verify this. It is true for graduates at least.

Old 23-04-2016, 09:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This is not true. The poster is right to say that most engineering local grads are getting jobs with quite good packages. I'm from engineering too so I can verify this. It is true for graduates at least.
Most of the engineering graduates from my batch got their job offer at Micron through relatives and friends working there. ST engineering practice Nepotism as well. If you have a friend in there, 99% u can secured a job for a B.Degree.

Old 23-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Unregistered

Nepotism is when someone in a position of power or influence, gives favor to his relatives or friends.

If your friends or relatives are not holding power nor holding any influential position in the company, then they cannot be deciding on your employment. In that case, they cannot be practicing nepotism.

Many companies encouraged and even reward their employees to recommend friends and relatives to join them. The employment of these friends and relatives still depend on their credentials and experience. If they are employed based on their own merits, then it is not nepotism. Certainly it will help if the recommender is highly regarded by the company as the company would probably give higher weightage to his recommendation.

Quote:
Most of the engineering graduates from my batch got their job offer at Micron through relatives and friends working there. ST engineering practice Nepotism as well. If you have a friend in there, 99% u can secured a job for a B.Degree.

Old 23-04-2016, 10:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nepotism is when someone in a position of power or influence, gives favor to his relatives or friends.

If your friends or relatives are not holding power nor holding any influential position in the company, then they cannot be deciding on your employment. In that case, they cannot be practicing nepotism.

Many companies encouraged and even reward their employees to recommend friends and relatives to join them. The employment of these friends and relatives still depend on their credentials and experience. If they are employed based on their own merits, then it is not nepotism. Certainly it will help if the recommender is highly regarded by the company as the company would probably give higher weightage to his recommendation.
Yeah when I say nepotism, I am referring to people with power and holding influential position in the company.

Even if they don't have the power, by recommending friends and relatives to people with power within, so that their relative and friends can join them based on their personal merit is also know as nepotism. indirect nepotism.

Its not very fair to people who work on their CV and sending in their CV and resume with no relatives and friends within. And this is the reason why fresh grads (regardless of their merit) keep sending in their resume with no respond. Because the company is too too busy with the amount of recommendation, and 99% of the time, jobs vacancy goes to these who are recommended. People with pride will not usually seek Nepotism, either directly or indirectly. Hence you also see many honours degree peeps here unable to secure a job. lolz

Nepotism either directly or indirectly is the culture of many engineering company in Singapore. and this is also true for many govt organizations I believe.
Old 23-04-2016, 11:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah when I say nepotism, I am referring to people with power and holding influential position in the company.

Even if they don't have the power, by recommending friends and relatives to people with power within, so that their relative and friends can join them based on their personal merit is also know as nepotism. indirect nepotism.

Its not very fair to people who work on their CV and sending in their CV and resume with no relatives and friends within. And this is the reason why fresh grads (regardless of their merit) keep sending in their resume with no respond. Because the company is too too busy with the amount of recommendation, and 99% of the time, jobs vacancy goes to these who are recommended. People with pride will not usually seek Nepotism, either directly or indirectly. Hence you also see many honours degree peeps here unable to secure a job. lolz

Nepotism either directly or indirectly is the culture of many engineering company in Singapore. and this is also true for many govt organizations I believe.
I'm the poster that said >10 of my friends have all secured jobs pre graduation.

"99% of the time, jobs vacancy goes to these who are recommended"
I would like a source on that.

In my case, definitely no nepotism involved, just applied online. 1 job application a day during my second last sem. eventually you will get something. I don't come from a very privileged background, parents don't have degrees, stay HDB etc, no professional network whatsoever.

I obviously cannot speak for all my friends, but those that I have asked have all traversed this same route as me; apply online.

It really isn't that complicated.
Old 23-04-2016, 11:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm the poster that said >10 of my friends have all secured jobs pre graduation.

"99% of the time, jobs vacancy goes to these who are recommended"
I would like a source on that.

In my case, definitely no nepotism involved, just applied online. 1 job application a day during my second last sem. eventually you will get something. I don't come from a very privileged background, parents don't have degrees, stay HDB etc, no professional network whatsoever.

I obviously cannot speak for all my friends, but those that I have asked have all traversed this same route as me; apply online.

It really isn't that complicated.
continuation of my post.

I see people, some local grads, most of them pte degree holders (I would like to point out that I'm not stereotyping or anything, came from poly before entering uni, most of my poly friends are from pte unis), complain about there being no jobs. Most of these people only start finding jobs after they graduate. Or just before final exams start panicking then start finding job.

You should be starting 1 year before your graduation if you want to start work immediately after graduating.

And if you don't have a job and are serious about finding one, you should be looking for a job 8 hours a day whilst jobless. LOOKING FOR A JOB is your JOB! I can easily finish an online application <30 mins, including re-writing cover letter and tweaking my resume for the position. That's at least 16 applications a day, just do it for a week.

Your paper qualifications/resume only matter in the initial screening. Once you get your interview, it's all about how you present yourself, nobody cares abt ur uni/grades anymore. Nobody's gonna waste their time interviewing someone they are gonna reject anyway.

I study full time, have major projects going on, work part-time and can apply for jobs/go for interviews within the same semester. Don't go around saying you can't find a job if you can't be bothered.

Old 24-04-2016, 12:13 AM
Unregistered

Smile

there are all kinds of factors at play during the whole job search process--which everyone already knows. the world is not a fair place, but what you can control is your own determination. the more you spend time on your applications, fielding your cvs out to different companies and then the ensuing interview preparation--it's so important to sound and look enthusiastic as well as express your keen interest in the scope, the more likely you are going to hit the jackpot.

things may not always go the way you want, but don't give up!
Old 24-04-2016, 12:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
continuation of my post.

I see people, some local grads, most of them pte degree holders (I would like to point out that I'm not stereotyping or anything, came from poly before entering uni, most of my poly friends are from pte unis), complain about there being no jobs. Most of these people only start finding jobs after they graduate. Or just before final exams start panicking then start finding job.

You should be starting 1 year before your graduation if you want to start work immediately after graduating.

And if you don't have a job and are serious about finding one, you should be looking for a job 8 hours a day whilst jobless. LOOKING FOR A JOB is your JOB! I can easily finish an online application <30 mins, including re-writing cover letter and tweaking my resume for the position. That's at least 16 applications a day, just do it for a week.

Your paper qualifications/resume only matter in the initial screening. Once you get your interview, it's all about how you present yourself, nobody cares abt ur uni/grades anymore. Nobody's gonna waste their time interviewing someone they are gonna reject anyway.

I study full time, have major projects going on, work part-time and can apply for jobs/go for interviews within the same semester. Don't go around saying you can't find a job if you can't be bothered.
Congrats on securing a job. Whether nepotism or not, only you know best. And it also depend on luck. I believe people with honours knows about your techniques in securing a job. They are usually the extreme kiasu ones in university.

If you observed enough. There are people here (with honours) who are not able to find a jobs even after sending out few hundreds resumes. They may be the unlucky ones sending out their resumes to companies and organizations who practice nepotism. Hence taking up job vacancy of these who may be more suitable for the job without recommendation.

“"99% of the time, jobs vacancy goes to these who are recommended"
I would like a source on that.”

What source do you need on this statement? The whole paragraph clearly shows that its my observation based on experience with the people around me and also various replies online.

I have friends from my batch who didn't even need to be interviewed and was offered a job in Micron and ST engineering purely based on recommendation. While another guy with honours who send his CV and resume, waited for 3months for a no respond.

So what are your explanation or what you think why many people are not getting a respond months after sending out their CV and resumes? Because their resume are not as good as yours? People from local university are trained in doing a good resume and CV. So this can't be the reason I believe. You just don't have to remind them on how unlucky they are...

There are also many other factors affecting fresh grads from getting a respond/job other than indirect/direct nepotism if you have observed enough.
Old 24-04-2016, 01:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

I do think you need to verify your sources as well. I know many friends who go in to these government companies through direct application, and rarely anyone who got in with the help of contacts.
Old 24-04-2016, 01:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I do think you need to verify your sources as well. I know many friends who go in to these government companies through direct application, and rarely anyone who got in with the help of contacts.
hmm... Talking about government... have you ever seen the family chart of the group of people governing this small piece of land? Don't have to say much on this I believe. its well known. lol

"There's a dark side to everything." - Prince