Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Different rank in local banks
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I read a bit on ranks in industries. From what I understand, in the investing industry, rank isn't that important. How people value you is the assets you managed, the significance of your work, the brand of your fund and your track record.

I sense that either in larger organizations or in the financial services, both of which UOB/DBS/OCBC is a part of, rank and title DOES matter. The reasons are that because the work there more standardized compared to investing, the rank you have will suggest more or less what you do and what you're capable of.

For example:
An analyst in Fund A could be 1) employing macro strategies, 2) hedging bond exposure, 3) researching stock for PMs, 4) optimizing trade execution.

A BO analyst in Bank A, B, C will be doing accounting for PnL. A BO associate will command x number of analyst. A VP will be finding new ways to streamline the process.

I could be wrong. But my take is that the larger the organization, the more rank matters.

What's your starting salary?
yea of course rank matters cauz pay & power depends on rank. but all the e.g. u list so far is job titles, not rank. every org will make us of job titles depend on their need. some are conservative, some anyhow inflate, some the whole co. inconsistent ad-hoc. once u go out work u will realise things are not as straight forward.