Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - front office - career advice
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am familiar with the admission and recruiting process of top schools and companies. You're almost right but some counter examples worth mentioning.

One: 5As with 70% percentile SAT, mediocre essays, uninspiring letters of recommendation describing a student who mugs everyday in the library and no CCAs, no way he is getting into any Ivy.

So it is not just 5As. This is a well known fact by those who spend time with the application process. If he had just 5As AND a national award in a science competition, maybe he creeps into the bottom of the Ivy's. For those aspiring Ivy leaguers out there, take note.

Two: A >4.8 CAP with major in Health Science and internship doing credit analyst at a small 10 employee first isn't getting called up by Goldman's IBD. You probably know this. I'm emphasizing that there are tons of > 3.8 GPA not getting what they want.
It is true that some 5As and above students have unimpressive CCA records. But many of them do, esp from the top JCs. It is no secret that CCA matters and students dont only "suddenly realise" nearing the end of JC that CCA matters. They already know the rules of the game from day one. It's mostly those mid-tier and below JCs (*cough* value-added *cough*) that ingrain in their students that academics is everything. I can't blame them, their local uni conversion rate is only 85% or even less, even after retaining and expelling so many people that the idea of value-added school is a joke. Even those who enter may not get a course which they like. In a school culture like that, the 5As and above students produced are unlikely to have the records required to enter Ivy league unis.

No. Health sciences referring to pharmacy or nursing? 4.8 CAP nus pharmacy student should be able to secure a penulti internship interview with most BBs, even though the boutique credit analysis internship sounds pretty pathethic. Unless u are talking abt applying for the actual job or the faculty is nursing?

For smu, >3.9 gpa with relevant internships is almost confirmed you get a penulti interview at BB FO and they assess you from there. Actually I heard of lower gpa ppl getting in too, but tts besides the point. Their tests are rigourous enough to filter out the people they really want, not just taking in someone because he has an ivy league sch on their resume, or discounting someone who is smart but went to a local university. The penult internship is the interview for the actual job. It is a rigourous proccess, if you are talented you will not be weighed down by the university you came from (unless you don't even make the first interview round, if so you prob wont make it through the interview rounds anyway).

I'm not saying its easy either way, but people are creating illusions that being in an ivy league is such a high BTE that the smart people in local unis find incredibly difficult surpass. The barrier is way lower than many ppl think. Recruiters know how to target the smart local uni students and nobody cares if the HR in US doesn't know that Singapore even exists because the HR managers that recruit here are in Singapore. We are talking about getting a BB FO entry level job at Singapore guys, not wall street.