Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in!
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 12:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Another of these "mysterious friends" circulating on the net. Which bank is that?

I would be very interested to know a diploma grad who can reach SVP level in Compliance before 35. I'm also doing Compliance in a foreign bank and I know of only 3 high flyers who reached SVP level doing Compliance by that age and they are certainly not diploma grads.

I would say I am fairly acquainted with most people doing Compliance in the Singapore banking industry, so I'm quite surprised of never hearing of someone of such extraordinary background before.
I think you are clearly from a smaller bank who is trying to know everyone in the industry by attending all industry events. In a larger organization (and at this point it should be crystal clear which organization it is if you are really familiar with the industry), compliance and AML are separate teams. Within AML alone, there's a lot of different levels of specialization. Additionally, there's only so many major banks that have SVP levels.

Additionally, not every SVPs manages a big team. In many departments, there are talkers and there are do-ers. I don't think many people know this girl is only a Poly graduate because nobody ever thought it's relevant. She keeps a low profile and rarely appear in industry events. Obviously, she don't go around telling the world she's a polytechnic graduate too. Bear in mind, given she's a Poly graduate, she has been working for almost 15 years so a SVP is not shocking if you have been a good performer who is at the right place and right time. Common sense will tell you if it's plausible.