AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in! - Page 20 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in!

Old 09-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes im very old as i came from ite then ns.

I wish to clarify with you that doing screening of names, suspicious transaction review, cdd etc are considered as general administation role? I guess its more of an ops role bah. I was offered perm role and still deciding if i should accept or not as i wish to learn more.
Operations/Transactions/Administration whatever, not interested in debates on names, but yes I can confirm 100% tell you that your level is not what people in the industry would consider AML/Compliance professional.

Like I say it depends on what you want to learn and where you want your career to go. If you are thinking of moving on to real AML/Compliance roles then the chances are quite slim as a lot of good local uni grads and also mid career professionals with experience in law, internal audit, other banking BO are competing in this space.

Your only real avenue to move into this space is to find a powerful godfather (best is MD or at least SVP) who can make things happen, whether its AML/Compliance is not really that important. Otherwise your kind of profile at least on paper just cannot compete in this area. Don't forget there are many good performing diploma holders who are younger, in the industry longer who are also trying to move up the ladder.

You started off with a weak hand, so you will need something more to boost that career to catch up. Otherwise prospects and progression will always be lower than even your diploma peers, not to mention compared to the deg grads.

They offer you permanent just take it first, but that alone won't lead to much. You need to build up your network and connections fast if you want to get off this "non-executive" track.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 09-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Operations/Transactions/Administration whatever, not interested in debates on names, but yes I can confirm 100% tell you that your level is not what people in the industry would consider AML/Compliance professional.

Like I say it depends on what you want to learn and where you want your career to go. If you are thinking of moving on to real AML/Compliance roles then the chances are quite slim as a lot of good local uni grads and also mid career professionals with experience in law, internal audit, other banking BO are competing in this space.

Your only real avenue to move into this space is to find a powerful godfather (best is MD or at least SVP) who can make things happen, whether its AML/Compliance is not really that important. Otherwise your kind of profile at least on paper just cannot compete in this area. Don't forget there are many good performing diploma holders who are younger, in the industry longer who are also trying to move up the ladder.

You started off with a weak hand, so you will need something more to boost that career to catch up. Otherwise prospects and progression will always be lower than even your diploma peers, not to mention compared to the deg grads.

They offer you permanent just take it first, but that alone won't lead to much. You need to build up your network and connections fast if you want to get off this "non-executive" track.
ok, really appreciate your harsh but real true words.

thanks a lot!

Old 09-12-2015, 11:19 PM
Unregistered

Your role sounds more compliance operations as compared to the compliance professional advisory type of role. There are a number of banks who "outsource" such "operational" roles to their operations function and are not considered as a compliance professional.

However the current role is a good starting point and you may even wish to consider taking certification in compliance (ICA) and in the future there may be opportunities for internal transfer to do the real compliance advisory roles.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Unregistered

Sometimes I think people ought to broaden their perspectives and not just blindly follow the herd. Just because compliance in banking is the in thing, every Tom Dict & Harry also rushing to any job as long as its in a bank and has the word "compliance" without thinking properly.

Unless the ITE guy is really that interested in compliance (doubtful since its just his first job in ops/shared services), there are much better and easier ways to get career & pay progression than banging head against the wall like this.

Not saying no chance at all, but really this is just putting yourself in the worst possible competitive situation to move forward. It is much easier to progress in some other jobs in other industries than pick some hot fashionable job where you have to fight against so many people who start off better than you in terms of age and education.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
After reading all the replies, its kinda demoralizing after knowing that most of the guests here are uni grads/fresh uni grads and earning a decent amount of income from AML/Compliance job.

I am a 27 years old fresh local diploma grads currently ending my 8 months contractual AML role in a local bank drawing 2.1, how far would I go to in terms of dollar and cent? Would I be able to command a higher income gradually to be on par with uni grads within 2.5 years (like a 10% increment) along the way with broad base experience?
I think you should not beat yourself up too much. I started as a poly grad and went on to take my degree after I started working in Compliance (10 years ago). I know another girl who is at SVP level, and is still a poly graduate (she's probably 35 now?). She is probably earning $200K to 250K which is pretty good for a 35 years old. It is a combination of being at the right place, right time, with the right projects, combined with capability.

At the same time, I know uni grads, masters holders and even PHD who cannot cope in the compliance environment. Everyone is different and its important to consider your strength, and be willing to raise your hand for challenges. Many people seems to assume that moving into Compliance will guarantee a good pay and promotion. That is not true. It might give you a mildly better pay but without the right attitude and capability, you won't go beyond a VP.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think you should not beat yourself up too much. I started as a poly grad and went on to take my degree after I started working in Compliance (10 years ago). I know another girl who is at SVP level, and is still a poly graduate (she's probably 35 now?). She is probably earning $200K to 250K which is pretty good for a 35 years old. It is a combination of being at the right place, right time, with the right projects, combined with capability.

At the same time, I know uni grads, masters holders and even PHD who cannot cope in the compliance environment. Everyone is different and its important to consider your strength, and be willing to raise your hand for challenges. Many people seems to assume that moving into Compliance will guarantee a good pay and promotion. That is not true. It might give you a mildly better pay but without the right attitude and capability, you won't go beyond a VP.
Another of these "mysterious friends" circulating on the net. Which bank is that?

I would be very interested to know a diploma grad who can reach SVP level in Compliance before 35. I'm also doing Compliance in a foreign bank and I know of only 3 high flyers who reached SVP level doing Compliance by that age and they are certainly not diploma grads.

I would say I am fairly acquainted with most people doing Compliance in the Singapore banking industry, so I'm quite surprised of never hearing of someone of such extraordinary background before.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Unregistered

Need some advice from experts here. I'm in my early 40s and used to work in corporate banking. Left banking industry 2 years plus ago and move into a different industry. Now I'm thinking of switching into banking compliance and plans to pursue ICA Advanced cert in risk and compliance to improve my chances of getting a job. Do you think this is a good idea and what are my chances of getting a job in compliance?
Old 11-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Another of these "mysterious friends" circulating on the net. Which bank is that?

I would be very interested to know a diploma grad who can reach SVP level in Compliance before 35. I'm also doing Compliance in a foreign bank and I know of only 3 high flyers who reached SVP level doing Compliance by that age and they are certainly not diploma grads.

I would say I am fairly acquainted with most people doing Compliance in the Singapore banking industry, so I'm quite surprised of never hearing of someone of such extraordinary background before.
u sound like another local uni grad jealous that someone from poly do better than u.

i know of many ppl from poly & pte uni who are high flers can reach svp very young in foreign banks. in the real world performance is more impt than exam smart, no need to get angry just becauz others can do better.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Need some advice from experts here. I'm in my early 40s and used to work in corporate banking. Left banking industry 2 years plus ago and move into a different industry. Now I'm thinking of switching into banking compliance and plans to pursue ICA Advanced cert in risk and compliance to improve my chances of getting a job. Do you think this is a good idea and what are my chances of getting a job in compliance?
Chances are very low for a 40+ guy to take ICA cert to get back into the system. Too many youngsters nowadays and banking industry also not doing very well, so not many new openings also.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

I think you are clearly from a smaller bank who is trying to know everyone in the industry by attending all industry events. In a larger organization (and at this point it should be crystal clear which organization it is if you are really familiar with the industry), compliance and AML are separate teams. Within AML alone, there's a lot of different levels of specialization. Additionally, there's only so many major banks that have SVP levels.

Additionally, not every SVPs manages a big team. In many departments, there are talkers and there are do-ers. I don't think many people know this girl is only a Poly graduate because nobody ever thought it's relevant. She keeps a low profile and rarely appear in industry events. Obviously, she don't go around telling the world she's a polytechnic graduate too. Bear in mind, given she's a Poly graduate, she has been working for almost 15 years so a SVP is not shocking if you have been a good performer who is at the right place and right time. Common sense will tell you if it's plausible.