Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Law industry too saturated?
View Single Post
Old 26-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Unregistered

Hi,

I chanced upon this thread randomly. In response to your question, to give a standard lawyerly answer, it all depends what you mean by saturation.

If by that you mean that jobs are scarce, that its definitely untrue. Every single law student secures places in firms prior to graduation, and this has not changed even with the influx of SMU students.

On the other hand, if you're thinking about "can I make money now that there is so much competition?" then I have two responses to make:-

First, money for any hardworking lawyer is not a problem. How much you earn depends on yourself, your abilities, and how hard you are willing to work. That being said, if you're in it for the money, then you're in the wrong industry.

Second, the saying, "there may be many lawyers, but there can never be enough good ones" is most definitely true.

If you're considering a career in law, know that the pay for the industry will not be negatively affected simply because of the supply of local graduates. If you have been following the news, you will know that foreign graduates with second-lower class of honours are now allowed to enter the bar. Initial intakes of foreign graduates are far greater than they were before. Has this affected salaries? No, not much.

Of course, there are too many other factors to consider, but hopefully this gives you some food for thought.