Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for fresh grad
View Single Post
Old 25-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Verified Member

bookwormm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yar yar another freshie who is very interested in investment/trading side of the banking industry, we hear that all the time here.

If you need to ask here means your studies and network is not there, why waste time pursuing something you have no chance of getting? Might as well take a look at where you stand and go for normal PME jobs within & outside banking. Pay and career progression is decent enough for you to live on anyway.

The world is much bigger than high finance sector, it is better to be humble and live within your capabilities than waste time taking up lousy banking temp jobs in the hope that you will be the superstar who makes it big.
Yes there are plenty with the same aspiration and plenty more like yourself, frustrated. I don't know about you but I have been working on my goals and I do appreciate your honest input that there is a bigger world out there. Sometimes reality is harsher than it seems, right?

Now, I usually don't retaliate at such feedbacks but your assumption that if one's "studies and network is not there, why waste time pursuing something you have no chance of getting" is one that I highly disagree. Being realistic is one, but to know the importance to have something to work towards is another.

To address this "Superstar who makes it big", I don't recall mentioning anything like that. I have been following the forum for quite some time and I have expected such replies, unfortunately I can understand why people are cynical towards any fresh grad or anyone who speaks of getting into the trade.