Career advice for fresh grad - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career advice for fresh grad

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 11
bookwormm is on a distinguished road
Default Career advice for fresh grad

Just graduated this year with an nus econs degree and I am currently applying for jobs. I have been applying mostly to banks for the positions that I am keen in (securities, fx related) but the dilemma here is that I cannot relate how can I perform in other job functions in the bank. Perhaps due to my ignorance, I fail to see the vast opportunities that lies ahead?

There are a few job recruiters that offered me contractual jobs (not an issue), but those are IT/ admin work. Not that I belittle IT jobs, the issue is that I believe my knowledge on VBA/ programming will not satisfy the job itself since the course I had taken was a add on to my diploma back then. Moreover I really wish to utilise something related to my major rather than to revert back to where I came from.

As for now I am really keen to learn more about the securities/ fx side of the business and I don't mind taking on any related internship/ apprenticeship. The bank letter is here and seems like time is not on my side, can fellow forumers drop this greenhorn some career advice.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2015, 01:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormm View Post
Just graduated this year with an nus econs degree and I am currently applying for jobs. I have been applying mostly to banks for the positions that I am keen in (securities, fx related) but the dilemma here is that I cannot relate how can I perform in other job functions in the bank. Perhaps due to my ignorance, I fail to see the vast opportunities that lies ahead?

There are a few job recruiters that offered me contractual jobs (not an issue), but those are IT/ admin work. Not that I belittle IT jobs, the issue is that I believe my knowledge on VBA/ programming will not satisfy the job itself since the course I had taken was a add on to my diploma back then. Moreover I really wish to utilise something related to my major rather than to revert back to where I came from.

As for now I am really keen to learn more about the securities/ fx side of the business and I don't mind taking on any related internship/ apprenticeship. The bank letter is here and seems like time is not on my side, can fellow forumers drop this greenhorn some career advice.
Yar yar another freshie who is very interested in investment/trading side of the banking industry, we hear that all the time here.

If you need to ask here means your studies and network is not there, why waste time pursuing something you have no chance of getting? Might as well take a look at where you stand and go for normal PME jobs within & outside banking. Pay and career progression is decent enough for you to live on anyway.

The world is much bigger than high finance sector, it is better to be humble and live within your capabilities than waste time taking up lousy banking temp jobs in the hope that you will be the superstar who makes it big.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 11
bookwormm is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yar yar another freshie who is very interested in investment/trading side of the banking industry, we hear that all the time here.

If you need to ask here means your studies and network is not there, why waste time pursuing something you have no chance of getting? Might as well take a look at where you stand and go for normal PME jobs within & outside banking. Pay and career progression is decent enough for you to live on anyway.

The world is much bigger than high finance sector, it is better to be humble and live within your capabilities than waste time taking up lousy banking temp jobs in the hope that you will be the superstar who makes it big.
Yes there are plenty with the same aspiration and plenty more like yourself, frustrated. I don't know about you but I have been working on my goals and I do appreciate your honest input that there is a bigger world out there. Sometimes reality is harsher than it seems, right?

Now, I usually don't retaliate at such feedbacks but your assumption that if one's "studies and network is not there, why waste time pursuing something you have no chance of getting" is one that I highly disagree. Being realistic is one, but to know the importance to have something to work towards is another.

To address this "Superstar who makes it big", I don't recall mentioning anything like that. I have been following the forum for quite some time and I have expected such replies, unfortunately I can understand why people are cynical towards any fresh grad or anyone who speaks of getting into the trade.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I will be honest.

You're too late into the game, mate. There is a bigger world outside of FO finance. You missed the boat and you're probably never going to get on it.

You can disagree or continue talking about outliers but no point right? Find anothe career path and work hard.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 11
bookwormm is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I will be honest.

You're too late into the game, mate. There is a bigger world outside of FO finance. You missed the boat and you're probably never going to get on it.

You can disagree or continue talking about outliers but no point right? Find anothe career path and work hard.
Hello there, perhaps my point isn't clear, I am not looking at FO positions and neither am I qualified to be. I know where do I stand and yes that is impossible to reach, which is why I am asking what other related functions are there? I am keen to do/ learn things related to securities/ fx.

I see no point other than to feed myself if I were to pick another job that does not make me a better learned person.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Fact is those who can get into trading fx/securities side have already done their internship, networking and even an offer now. You already graduate (technically unemployed now) then start to post on forum asking people how to get into where you want.

People advise you to be realistic and too late, you get all emotional and start retaliating. Is that not constructive feedback enough for you? So what are you looking for? Somebody to publish a step by step guide teaching you how to get into fx related? Get real.

Also for someone who profess to have passion in securities/fx banking whatever, already graduate and don't even seem to know how banking works and how are the jobs classified. Some kind of passion & interest & "willing to learn" you are displaying.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

yet another grad who wants to work in sexy side of banking but dun even know what he wants. all big ego big ambition no action.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

From what I understand, your top-most preferred career is in the Securities/FX industry. Unfortunately, you've not managed to obtain a job there despite multiple applications. Nevertheless, although you're still ultimately interested in the Securities/FX industry, you don't mind trying out other job functions in a bank as long as they are decently good.

Current Status: Recent Graduate in NUS Economics; Have a contract offer at the IT department in a bank.

I don't like to discourage people, but like the other posters, my opinion is that it'll be a tough challenge to get into your preferred job. The reason being: (1) You're a graduate, and thus will not fit into the "undergraduate" criteria for internships in most companies; (2) The securities/fx industry is competitive to get into; (3) The securities/fx industry is getting even tougher every year; (4) Qualifications - I'm not sure of your class of honours and relevant internships.

If you would still like to try, your best bet would be to reach out for connections/people:
1) School: Your Alma Mater's career services and Alumni
2) Personal contacts: Family, Friends, Relatives, etc.
3) Publicly-available information: Apply/network/call/etc to all available Securities/FX jobs in all companies, whether they are in banks, boutiques or family offices.

Doing the above can be very time-consuming and it doesn't guarantee that you'll get a job in the end. However, you'll never know if you never try. One thing to note is that life will not be all rainbows and sunshine even if you manage to get into one in the end. The industry is tough and will be even tougher in the years ahead. Don't think too much about compensation/etc; it may not be as attractive as what you may think it is to be. Job may be quite volatile too.

Anyway, I would think that Tech isn't too bad these days as their roles are changing. However, this would depend on what you actually do within the bank (e.g. pioneering the bank's transformation towards digital platforms, or, just solving technical issues?).
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It is an open secret that in order to go into lucrative banking jobs, the standard way is to go for summer internships in global banks. Worse come to worse should at least have a short intern stint with local banks or related FIs. Now already graduate then say want to explore what kind of fx or securities jobs is too late already.

If all you are getting so far is only temp IT contract jobs, means not only your network is missing, even your CV & interview performance is very weak. Normal local uni grads should at least be able to get a perm offer for some BO jobs.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 25-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 533

Those roles are probably filled up before ur final exam. Why you so late then apply?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
job advice needed for fresh grad kairi9q Income and Jobs 11 26-06-2015 01:13 AM
Fresh grad advice needed oldmaster Income and Jobs 6 17-03-2014 11:48 PM
Fresh Grad Needs Career Advice kelvinchua Income and Jobs 26 11-03-2014 12:40 AM
In need of career advice (Fresh Grad) rustix Income and Jobs 17 08-03-2014 09:26 AM
Stay or Go, Fresh Grad Seeking Advice Bangers&Mash Income and Jobs 17 08-04-2013 06:10 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
329 Replies, 288,676 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,137 Replies, 3,899,490 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,148 Replies, 2,871,364 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,036 Replies, 7,107,486 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,135 Replies, 437,108 Views
How to make money online as a...
2 Replies, 1,329 Views
Bnp paribas graduate ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
193 Replies, 113,184 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,355 Replies, 1,161,215 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
554 Replies, 213,120 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
348 Replies, 141,622 Views
ST engineering starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
110 Replies, 67,672 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
521 Replies, 283,673 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
351 Replies, 179,434 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,137 Replies, 952,251 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
382 Replies, 179,958 Views
Electrical Engineering Jobs in...
0 Replies, 93 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,470 Replies, 2,525,682 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,832 Replies, 9,586,640 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,492 Replies, 721,273 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
559 Replies, 231,202 Views
IMDA AIM Graduate Development... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 4,408 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
727 Replies, 202,649 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
335 Replies, 109,074 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,278 Replies, 2,106,911 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,225 Replies, 586,636 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,373 Replies, 757,511 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,685 Replies, 3,306,955 Views
Anyone worked in singhealth/nhg? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
66 Replies, 127,750 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
67 Replies, 121,969 Views
Early Retirement
7 Replies, 2,496 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2