Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 16-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
This is indeed a very interesting thread.

- It is also important to note that you are civil servants, supposedly working for the good for the people of Singapore. There is a certain amount of altriuism to be expected. Just like how we expect politicians to make sacrifices for the larger good, I think it is only fair that we expect civil servants to at least be interested in service to the country, and be motivated not just by salary alone. There must be other forms of satisfaction derived. I know this is grey area, and I agree the general work ethic in Singapore doesn't promote this "selflessness." I also recognise that many will say politicians are paid very well so why should we talk about selflessness etc. But that said, I do believe that many of the politicians would be earning a lot more in the private sector if they went back. Even if they aren't nice or likeable people, people you jsut want to smack and slap, they are indeed incredibly smart and capable. If they had stayed in the industries they were head-hunted by the PAP from, they would certainly be rolling in the dough! Anyway, that's an entirely different discussion.
agree with most of your points, although I don't totally buy theory of politicians being paid higher if they left the civil service. Just a few other points:
- the argument of 'selflessness', 'altruism' does not hold any more. Ever since our ministers start collecting million dollar packages for questionable performances, it is difficult to ask everyone in the civil service to take a lower package while the leaders do otherwise.
- you think someone like WKS or even MBT is worth a lot in the private sector? If you are talking about the surgeons, bankers, lawyers, maybe I buy it. But not all of them are necessarily worth a lot in the private sector. I would even venture to say that they have to take huge pay cut if they leave the government service.